Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd September 2013, 09:17   #1
RoverSE
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi

Default Possible Fan Woes

Morning all

Ok thought I'd follow the guide and check my fan this morning and nothing! Fan works when engine running but this is a loud fast running fan? Do I need to change the whole fan or just upgrade the resistor?

Thanks
Clive
RoverSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 09:23   #2
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

I'd like to jump on this one too as I have the same, however if my AC isn't kicking in due to the cutout for low refrigerant does the fan still kick in or not??

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:02   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverSE View Post
OK thought I'd follow the guide and check my fan this morning and nothing! Fan works when engine running but this is a loud fast running fan? Do I need to change the whole fan or just upgrade the resistor?
Assuming it's got the later 2-speed system, yes. However you need to confirm a resistor is present. Look behind the fan blades at the 2 o'clock position, etc. etc. A 2004 model is likely to have the later system, but there is no rule.

Having said that, it's unusual for a diesel to trip the radiator fan on. Are you sure it's not the higher speed emergency cooling for the aircon system? If the slow speed has failed (resistor or brushes) then the fan will be tripped on and off at higher speed to protect the aircon system.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 23rd September 2013 at 11:06..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:08   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevanman View Post
I'd like to jump on this one too as I have the same, however if my AC isn't kicking in due to the cutout for low refrigerant does the fan still kick in or not??
Good question. Logically the fan won't run if there's nothing in the system to be cooled. The trinary switch should take care of it. I'm sure someone will come along and tell us.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:19   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Assuming it's got the later 2-speed system, yes. However you need to confirm a resistor is present. Look behind the fan blades at the 2 o'clock position, etc. etc. A 2004 model is likely to have the later system, but there is no rule.

Having said that, it's unusual for a diesel to trip the radiator fan on. Are you sure it's not the higher speed emergency cooling for the aircon system? If the slow speed has failed (resistor or brushes) then the fan will be tripped on and off at higher speed to protect the aircon system.

TC
AS above outlined by TC
You need to check the demist test first remember with the diesel you only have to have the ignition turned to postion ii and with A/C all off press demist only then look through the front grill to see if the fan is running if not low speed as faied or if silver resistor in place that as failed and would need changing for a gold resistor.

If three four wire fan is in place the brushes will have failed on the low speed more than likely taking the medium speed with it, these can be changed but again that is a personal choice, or you can fit two speed with resistor Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:41   #6
RoverSE
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
AS above outlined by TC
You need to check the demist test first remember with the diesel you only have to have the ignition turned to postion ii and with A/C all off press demist only then look through the front grill to see if the fan is running if not low speed as faied or if silver resistor in place that as failed and would need changing for a gold resistor.

If three four wire fan is in place the brushes will have failed on the low speed more than likely taking the medium speed with it, these can be changed but again that is a personal choice, or you can fit two speed with resistor Arctic.
Thanks Artic

Definitely a silver resistor present and no movement when doing the demist test?

Cheers
Clive
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:50   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevanman View Post
... if my AC isn't kicking in due to the cutout for low refrigerant does the fan still kick in or not??
Steve,

This was discussed with some owners saying yes and some saying no. I seem to remember that we concluded that it might depend upon the type of ECM fitted. I think diesels inhibited the fan when refrigerant pressure was too low or absent and petrols didn't, but that's not a definitive answer.

Simon
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:57   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Thanks Artic

Definitely a silver resistor present and no movement when doing the demist test?

Cheers
Clive
Clive you need to replace the silver resistor for a gold one, Jules should be able to supply one of these for you ask him if he will add the tails for you as it make it easier when crimping or soldering which ever you chose, but always use shrink wrap over the joint. Arctic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC17896.jpg (136.4 KB, 9 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Old 25th September 2013, 11:26   #9
RoverSE
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi

Hi

I've now purchased the resistor upgrade from Jules.

Am I right in thinking that this can only be fitted with the front bumper removed (Facelift Model) if so can anyone point me on the right direction of a 'How To'.

Thanks
Clive
Old 25th September 2013, 11:46   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Hi

I've now purchased the resistor upgrade from Jules.

Am I right in thinking that this can only be fitted with the front bumper removed (Facelift Model) if so can anyone point me on the right direction of a 'How To'.

Thanks
Clive
Hi Clive
yes bumper as to come off not that hard and should take about 20 minutes first time take it slow and cover the wings up i do have some pics and will try and load them later Arctic

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=38392

ad altiora tendo.