Notices

Closed Thread

Old 27th March 2018, 18:55   #251
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
It's always tricky trying to second guess people's intentions, however in the above countries you've mentioned there's no real drive to leave the EU by the youth or anyone else for that matter.

Of course there are election promises made and flashes in the pan in terms of mood and opinion. But there's no systemic change in those countries and more specifically their attitude to the EU.

Parties in Italy made gains that are anti-EU but I don't believe that they are, as we in the UK understand anti EU, perhaps an less recent term that many are familiar with, euro spectic. Greece is similar a few gains here and there but nothing of real note to come to the collective conclusion that we in the UK have. Again I'm not aware of anything of note in Portugal or Spain.

As I said at the start it's tricky to second guess people but my conclusion would be many believe they have low youth employment levels, in the countries mentioned above, in spite of the EU rather than because of it.
Well one way to prove that - give the people a vote on it.

The Greek people wanted one but the EU denied them that basic right. Which is quite profound given the status of Greece as the cradle of democracy. The Referendum on the 6th May 2015 on the Bailout was decried “not legally correct” by the EU.

And so the non-elected commissioners of the EU overruled the democratic process within the worlds oldest democracy.

Now that is quite some achievement of the EU.
Old 27th March 2018, 18:55   #252
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post

I will take that as a compliment from someone who understands the skill involved
Yes - I can quite understand how you would.
Old 27th March 2018, 19:00   #253
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Please keep the subject civil, if not then you know what will happen.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
Old 27th March 2018, 19:01   #254
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Yes - I can quite understand how you would.
Takes one to know one
Old 27th March 2018, 19:07   #255
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:

The Greek people wanted one but the EU denied them that basic right. Which is quite profound given the status of Greece as the cradle of democracy. The Referendum on the 6th May 2015 on the Bailout was decried “not legally correct” by the EU.

And so the non-elected commissioners of the EU overruled the democratic process within the worlds oldest democracy.

To get a vote in that matter there's a build up period where the matter becomes important enough to enough people that its voted. Although in many countries its more complex, that's the jist of it.

I'm not sure Portugal, Spain etc are there yet?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 27th March 2018, 19:07   #256
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
Takes one to know one
Now look - we have been asked by the Mods to be polite - and I agree that we should

I have posted a great deal of info that I believe to be relevant accurate and worthy of debate.

But you ignore this and label me “smug”
Old 27th March 2018, 19:07   #257
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:

Also lets not forget the democraticaly elected governments in both Greece and Italy were replaced by eurocrats ( The Troika) appointed by the EU.

Quite staggering to imagine that the populations of these countries stood back and let that happen.
Old 27th March 2018, 19:08   #258
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Why the need for a vote for that?

It is only the people, not Brussels or even Westminster who can now actually work for what they want having severed the parasitical umbilical cord to the EU Monster.

Maybe you are one of those who believe it is simply a matter of right to get what they want. No work involved let alone earn that. Far too much of that attitude about now.

Corbyn's army of "What about my rights" for housing and free stuff to support numerous children they have and could never afford without syphoning off hard to come by taxes from those who work for these things.

I also watched the ex-HK Governor become yet another clueless "I'm Alright Tory Grandee" on BBC2's Daily Politics programme. .. That the guaranteed revenue stream broadcaster allowed him uninterrupted minutes to outline his negative views of anything OUT related says it all for me. Imagine someone like Farage being allowed the same uninterrupted free reign by the BBC with their prejudicial agenda slant. No chance.

Now go and reward yourselves even more from that guaranteed revenue stream BBC luvvies. As you remind us, you are so worth it.
I will answer that sensibly:

Forget the news, forget party politics, I thought this was about taking back some kind of control? If we have no actual say in how we do that that how are we taking back any kind of control? We are just giving control to another bunch of power hungry idiots who actualy have no idea what's best for the people of the UK. You assume they will do what you expect/hope but lets face it things will probably be business as usual - rich people getting richer, poor people getting poorer

Old 27th March 2018, 19:13   #259
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
To get a vote in that matter there's a build up period where the matter becomes important enough to enough people that its voted. Although in many countries its more complex, that's the jist of it.

I'm not sure Portugal, Spain etc are there yet?
Their political masters don’t want it certainly!

But ask at grass routes level and you get a different picture. The elections in Italy gave quite an interesting result.

Anti-establishment - Anti EU feelings are on the rise across the EU. And I would suspect that Governments used to feeding of the teat of the EU will do their upmost to stop a Referendum given the shock result of our U.K. one!!!!
Old 27th March 2018, 19:27   #260
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Their political masters don’t want it certainly!

But ask at grass routes level and you get a different picture. The elections in Italy gave quite an interesting result.

Anti-establishment - Anti EU feelings are on the rise across the EU. And I would suspect that Governments used to feeding of the teat of the EU will do their upmost to stop a Referendum given the shock result of our U.K. one!!!!
I think if that were true we'd see more evidence of it now.

I think the countries you've mentioned have problems in their economies that are long standing and have been the issue of many of the governments. They are copping it in the neck for this, but the EU I don't see any great sway in opinion like here in the UK.

Italy is an interesting one, the anti establishment parties have rowed back on various promises.
Like I said early there's flashes here and there but it's not like here. The UK has had issues since the beginning, other places are more (not to repeat myself but) they see the EU as bystander rather something to be gotten rid of.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Closed Thread