Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th December 2015, 22:55   #1
0149geep

Rover 75 saloon 2004

Default Diesel Fuel gauge

My fuel gauge is playing up at the moment and will not go below the quarter full mark at all which obviously means that when it reaches that mark then it becomes a bit of a lottery.
My question though is--Even though the gauge will never get down to the empty mark would the warning light still come on as it would if the gauge was working ok??This of course is important because if the light works independantly then I really can ignore the issue of the faulty gauge and carry on as normal.
Any answers please??
0149geep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 02:34   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

You have a diesel, NEVER allow it to go below a 1/4 tank, plenty of threads on this issue on here, mainly because of In Tank Fuel Pump issues. As for your specific question, we will need to await better informed members to respond I just drive her

PS, as your profile shows a Diesel car I have amended your thread title from 'Petrol Fuel Gauge' to DIESEL Fuel Gauge, If this is incorrect, please revise your UserCP and I will re-amend your thread title

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 12th December 2015 at 03:00.. Reason: Addition
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 09:15   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The idiosyncracies of the fuel gauge are well known, but there's little in the way of explanation or how their strange behaviours can be fixed. The way the needle moves is controlled by the ECU after receiving two in-tank float signals. The floats seem to be the crux of the problems and can be due to misfitting after removal. They're very fussy about the way they lie in the tank and are easily fouled. They use simple a rheostat mechanism which sometimes goes wrong. Having said that, many gauge issues are unexplained. I suspect any reliance on the warning light will be unwise. I think it's tripped by the same float signals.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 12th December 2015 at 09:18..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 17:25   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
You have a diesel, NEVER allow it to go below a 1/4 tank, plenty of threads on this issue on here, mainly because of In Tank Fuel Pump issues.
Yes don't go below a quarter of a tank if your ITP has failed, but with the LP fuel system working as it should then it isn't a problem.

If you never let the tank go below a quarter full you won't know when your ITP packs up.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 20:16   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

It is more likely that your in tank pump has failed. What makes you think the tank is empty? I'll guess that it's the engine cutting out. When filling up from that if you can't get nearly 65 litres in then it's not empty - If in fact you can only get 45-50 litres in then it's a sure sign of in tank pump failure. With a working pump as Mike already said then there's no problem running it down until the light comes on.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 11:29   #6
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

[QUOTE=Avulon;2168223]It is more likely that your in tank pump has failed. What makes you think the tank is empty? I'll guess that it's the engine cutting out. [QUOTE]

*THIS*

Had just this issue with the GF's Connie a few weeks ago - the ITP had died and with a quarter tank showing she ended up on the side of the M40 waiting for the AA.

As ever, the test is to lift the squab off the back seat, and put your ear to the circular panel on the drivers side while somebody else turns the key to position 2 - you should hear a whirr and a bit of a "swoosh" from fluid moving - silence is a dead cert that the ITP is dead.

DMGRS of this parish sell Magneti Marelli replacement pump inserts for the ITP for reasonable money, and the replacement isn't too difficult as long as you don't mind getting up to your elbows in diesel.
DaPol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 18:12   #7
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPol View Post
As ever, the test is to lift the squab off the back seat
Ever the pedant - since I was corrected and double checked myself. The test is to lift the base of the back seat...: the squab is the backrest... (I know, it's amazing how things get mixed up)

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote