Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th December 2015, 22:34   #1
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts
Default Cruise control button/switch always lit

Got to the car yesterday evening and when I started up (always a good sign ) I noticed that the cruise control button was lit and the system was active. Not used the cruise for some time as the roads around here are useless to use it on. I could not switch it off Any ideas before I start ripping it all apart? ....

All releveant comments would be appreciated.....

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 23:47   #2
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

04 MG ZT+ 190 XPG & 99 (T) Dealer Launch 75 V6 Connie Auto

Possibly switch failure. I would have thought it was not very common, but not impossible either!

May be worth a £10 punt on ebay for a replacement first before attempting to find a wiring fault.

Upgrades/Mods so far:
Custom Angel Eye DRL's, MG7 Rear lights, Custom Door Cards, MGR Plates, Red Alcantara Seats, Black Oak Dash, Powerflex bushes, Plenum Spy Mod, Rear Light Seals, 5000K HID Kit, Navall 3 DD, Blue LED Conversion, Custom badges, Union badges, Flip key. Working on more!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
daznkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 23:55   #3
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by daznkel View Post
Possibly switch failure. I would have thought it was not very common, but not impossible either!
Seeing as I had not used the switch for months, why/how could it happen? After all it is a 'mechanical' switch ?? However I could have inadvertently struck it, but not knowingly....

Andrew
Ich Dien

Old 13th December 2015, 00:23   #4
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

04 MG ZT+ 190 XPG & 99 (T) Dealer Launch 75 V6 Connie Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Seeing as I had not used the switch for months, why/how could it happen? After all it is a 'mechanical' switch ?? However I could have inadvertently struck it, but not knowingly....
As you said, it could have been struck or liquid spilled. However, as far as I can remember, maybe wrong, the switch itself is still electrical, operated by a rubber push button, similar to the key fob button switches. Probably a latching type.
I just thought it a more likely failure than the wiring itself.

Upgrades/Mods so far:
Custom Angel Eye DRL's, MG7 Rear lights, Custom Door Cards, MGR Plates, Red Alcantara Seats, Black Oak Dash, Powerflex bushes, Plenum Spy Mod, Rear Light Seals, 5000K HID Kit, Navall 3 DD, Blue LED Conversion, Custom badges, Union badges, Flip key. Working on more!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
daznkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 00:29   #5
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by daznkel View Post
As you said, it could have been struck or liquid spilled. However, as far as I can remember, maybe wrong, the switch itself is still electrical, operated by a rubber push button, similar to the key fob button switches. Probably a latching type.
I just thought it a more likely failure than the wiring itself.
Point taken and I will look into it on the 'morrow, although no liquids have been near it. Thank you for your response

Andrew
Ich Dien

Old 13th December 2015, 04:57   #6
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Got to the car yesterday evening and when I started up (always a good sign ) I noticed that the cruise control button was lit and the system was active. Not used the cruise for some time as the roads around here are useless to use it on. I could not switch it off Any ideas before I start ripping it all apart? ....

All releveant comments would be appreciated.....

On both my cars the cruise switch usually takes a few goes before it finally latches on, i take this as a sign the switches are not great quality. Oddly though i would have thought they need a pulse to activate them rather than a solid contact which is what i imagine you would have if the switch was faulty.

Does the cruise actually work when you set it? Just wondering if it is like the brake lights, and the light comes permanently on to tell you a fuse has gone.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 20:06   #7
RoverDan
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Tourer, Limo

I've had some photos kicking around for a few weeks and forgot to do anything with them. I had the same symptoms David described - needed to prod the cruise switch several times to get the green light to come on, particularly when cold. Might help the OP too.

I took the switch apart, cleaned the legs of the contact switch, then reassembled. Working fine now

Remove switch from console. Pry with a fine screwdriver to release the push button (tabs marked red) and the sleeve over the switch (tabs marked blue):

Now you see the switch unit behind the push button. Note the orientation - it is handed, and there are tiny alignment pins, but a gorilla could force it back together the wrong way round

Pull the switch unit out, it is held loosely in place by the sprung contacts/legs:

I degreased the legs with a bit of alcohol, then cleaned them with fine wire wool, taking care not to spring them inwards. If anything you may want to spring them out a fraction if the switch body is loose.

Fuzzy picture below, but note the two gold contacts with white plastic between. The contacts are sprung and the white plastic holds them apart; when you push the push button that orange LED/white plastic is pushed down so the gold contacts touch only whilst the button is pushed. So I see it as a pulse type switch, it doesn't latch into an on or off state.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch2b.jpg (67.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg switch3.JPG (125.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg switch4.jpg (87.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg switch1.JPG (46.3 KB, 63 views)

CDT
auto Club Saloon
CDT
auto Connoisseur SE Tourer
CDT
auto Connoisseur MacNeillie Limousine
RoverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 20:17   #8
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Does the cruise actually work when you set it? Just wondering if it is like the brake lights, and the light comes permanently on to tell you a fuse has gone.
Yes the light is on continuously when the ignition is on and normal cruise functions are there. Just will not switch off......

Anyway a kind member is sending me a switch so that I can try to see if it is indeed the issue. (Never got the chance to fiddle today).

Andrew
Ich Dien

Old 13th December 2015, 21:02   #9
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

I modified the wiring to the switch on my diesel, and my fathers, so that cruise is active with the ignition and doesn't need pressing. Obviously the clutch and brake switches still work.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote