Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th April 2017, 18:22   #1
oldie
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

Default Spongy brakes

Just had replacement front discs, pads and pipes about 100 miles ago. Today after driving about 20 miles the brakes felt spongy. Some resistance at the top of the pedal but then it gently travels to the floor under a bit of pressure. When fully depressed the brakes hold the car at rest but I am less than sure they will bring the car to a halt when underway. However I managed to drive the car home with very gentle braking, putting the gear into neutral when nearing a junction and slow driving. I can't see the "Min" mark on the fluid reservoir but the fluid is about halfway down the angled shoulder below the vertical filler tube.

Master cylinder or air lock?

If the former, are they easily obtained?
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 18:44   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

The max level is about halfway down the filler neck of the reservoir, not sure about min. Bearing in mind what you've had done I'd suspect an airlock.

If it does turn out to be a problem with the master cylinder, they are shown no longer available from Rimmers, allegedly All Car Parts Fast has them but I'd take that with a pinch of salt, they have been known to show "ghost" parts. The good news is the same master is fitted to all petrol ZTs and ZT-Ts and 2.5L 75 tourers. See here.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 22:37   #3
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

Possibly needs a bleed with a t4 it was the only way I could get a decent pedal after a pipe replacement!
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 02:17   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

It doesn't sound like your problem, but be aware that new pads will feel a bit spongy until they have bedded in properly. The pad faces need to be worn to match the discs, before full braking is restored - until then, they will have some springiness when applied.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 07:30   #5
dbt01
Retired

Oldie's description of the symptoms sounds a bit more than that, I think.
A garage pressure-bleed is the first place to start as 3Disco says, before trying to source (and pay out for) a master cylinder which may well not be needed.

David

Last edited by dbt01; 30th April 2017 at 08:14..
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 08:20   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I thought similar after replacing the front pads and discs. I was going to have a bleed etc., the following week but as the pads bedded in the pedal improved so I didn't bother. It is now back to normal but it did worry me for a few days. As you have replaced the pipes also, I understand that a bleed using the T4 actually works for the abs side to kick in.
Mike

Last edited by roverbarmy; 30th April 2017 at 08:23..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 09:27   #7
oldie
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

A thank-you to the respondents.

Does anyone know where the minimum fluid level should be? I've attached a sample picture from the internet. The fluid level on mine is below the vertical filler pipe, approximately on a level with the top of the writing. This seems a little low to me. If I decide to top-up: a) what fluid is recommended, and, b) is it ok to mix fluids. The brakes were done by a garage familiar with Rover 75s, but lacking a T4. Perhaps I should have found a T4 user to do the work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake reservoir.jpg (69.7 KB, 15 views)
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 09:46   #8
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

The level needs to be halfway up the neck. Any dot 4 fluid can be used/mixed. Why was it so low? a T4 will do it quicker and better to a degree, but not a must in my experience .
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 09:54   #9
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

After a lot of image hunting on the internet, the minimum level is just above the join between the top and bottom halves. Not the best photo but you can just about make out the min level marker above the join.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 10:40   #10
dbt01
Retired

Silly question maybe, but you have checked the all brake callipers/hoses/nipples are dry, not just the ones they replaced, haven't you David?

David
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote