Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th May 2017, 13:03   #1
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Ho! Hum!

So there I was last night looking through some paperwork on the V8 and noticed that since November 2016 I have not spent any money on the car other than petrol. Wow! Well pleased with that. And even better, since the MOT in August 2016, I have only done 5,500 miles, now that's pretty good for me.

So I thought then I best give the car a nice run today, have a pub lunch what with the weather being nice. Get some photography done whilst out and about.
Got in the car and put the key in, nothing, no warning lights, totally devoid of all life. Interior lights very dim. Mmmm!!!!!! Unfortunately because where the car is parked I was not able to get jump leads on from Banana.

Looked at the battery, looks like had been in there for sometime. So off to the local Halfords and got a battery with a 5 year guarantee and it is now fitted. Even used my new tool kit. Certainly starts better.
Totally forgot how heavy the battery was, still has given me an appetite for a pub lunch.

232750. Over 3 months since I drove Banana.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 13:15   #2
dbt01
Retired

Don't throw the old one away though. Charge and leave it on trickle for a while for good measure. Check after 2 weeks. If its still over about 12.2, then you've got a good reserve battery, oldish though it may be. I have two such in the garage, trickled overnight once every month or so (or when I remember). Normally only takes 1/2 hour to show up "green" anyway. Trouble is neighbours know I've got 'em and several have had more use of them then I!

David

Last edited by dbt01; 11th May 2017 at 13:17..
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 14:58   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBytheway View Post
Don't throw the old one away though. Charge and leave it on trickle for a while for good measure. Check after 2 weeks. If its still over about 12.2, then you've got a good reserve battery, oldish though it may be. I have two such in the garage, trickled overnight once every month or so (or when I remember). Normally only takes 1/2 hour to show up "green" anyway. Trouble is neighbours know I've got 'em and several have had more use of them then I!

David
I do not have a garage or a battery charger. And nowhere to put either. But I'll hang onto the battery for now in case someone wants it for a spare.

232750. Over 3 months since I drove Banana.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote