Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th April 2017, 19:51   #1
john949

rover 75 saloon

Default By-passing the TV Unit

Trying to fix this for a friend.

Radio and TV unit have both suffered water damage and the Monitor unit doesn't think I have a radio or a TV. Radio doesn't look too bad but the TV unit tuner (inside the can) is totally fubared outside the can it looks OK. Surprisingly the Satnav is working albeit with no sound. I've found a BM24 on eBay and am waiting for it to arrive.

The owner is not interested in in-car TV so it would make sense to by-pass the TV unit and throw it away. I've found references to a cable to do this but the links are broken. Searching on Google has come up with the pinouts for the various units and it's almost straightforward.

According to the wiring diagram, the monitor board video side has five inputs from the TV unit - three RGB inputs an RGB ground and something called Monitor Ground. So if I connect the RGB and RGB ground outputs from the satnav direct to the monitor... But what about Monitor Ground? The is an input on the TV unit called Nav Ground but this is connected to RGB ground according to the wiring diagram so I would be connecting two of the monitor boards pins together - which doesn't seem right. The pinout for the monitor board suggests that this is the only earth that the monitor board has, therefore it should go to the satnavs main earth (pin 10 on C0897).

Has anybody already done this and confirm my reasoning?

Obviously I'll need to bypass the audio as well, but this looks straightforward.

Another slight concern is that there is a sync output from the Nav unit but the monitor unit doesn't have a (separate) sync input. Does the TV unit put the sync on the RGB signals and therefore you can't bypass the TV unit?

I also read that you can plug the blue plug from the TV unit into the satnav but the pinouts don't support this.

Thanks for any help.
john949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 20:39   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john949 View Post
Trying to fix this for a friend.

Radio and TV unit have both suffered water damage and the Monitor unit doesn't think I have a radio or a TV. Radio doesn't look too bad but the TV unit tuner (inside the can) is totally fubared outside the can it looks OK. Surprisingly the Satnav is working albeit with no sound. I've found a BM24 on eBay and am waiting for it to arrive.
I can't help with the BM24, but the Rover 75 units are...

1 A display and remote control in the dash.
2 TV/video display unit, in the wheel well.
3. Radio combined with audio amp, feeding the speakers
4. Satnav unit in the side of the boot space
5. Possibly an Hardon Karmon high wattage amplifier mounted on the rear wing.

1 Really is just a video display and remote control for the equipment in the boot, nothing more.

Satnav working, suggests the TV/video (2) must be working. The TV is analogue, so will no longer work anyway.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 29th April 2017 at 20:41..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 19:21   #3
john949

rover 75 saloon

Default Success

If you want the short answer then all you need to do is plug the blue connector from the TV unit into the blue socket on the Nav Unit (obviously you unplug the one that's there already first). If (like me) you've looked at the wiring diagrams / unit pinouts and said "that can't possibly work" or you want to know more then read on.

Just to clarify I'm talking about a YIC 000140 TV unit and a YIB 000260 Nav unit although it appears that many other Rover / Land Rover / BMW units are compatible.

Pinouts of the units can be found via Google and the wiring diagrams are in this post.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=266209

Looking at the blue connectors on the TV unit and the Nav unit, the pins are as follows:

Pin Tv Unit C0820 Nav Unit C0897
1 +12v +12v
2 +12v NC
3 I Bus I Bus
4 NC R
5 G NC
6 B NC
7 R NC
8 NC G
9 Audio + Audio +
10 Gnd Gnd
11 Gnd NC
12 Monitor Gnd NC
13 NC B
14 G Gnd NC
15 B Gnd Nav Gnd
16 R Gnd NC
17 RV Cam SW Sync
18 Audio - Audio -

Pins 1,3,9,10,18 and possibly 15 look OK but the RGB signals are on totally different pins so it can't possibly work can it? Well if you look you may notice that both sets of RGB +ves would connect to pins marked NC on the other unit (pedantically the pin outs that I found don't say there is no connection to the pin, just that there is no wiring to it) so if the Nav unit actually has a second set of RGB outputs on pins 5,6, & 7..... I also suspect that pin 12 on the Nav unit is grounded but I haven't checked

Seems strange (from a cost point of view) to provide two different RGB outputs, but it's the only explanation that I can come up with. I stuck my meter on the RGB outputs and the ones going into the TV unit are about 3V whereas the ones going out from the TV unit to the Monitor are a few millivolts.

A word of warning about the pinout diagrams - they don't say which way up they are and as Amp haven't moulded numbers on the connectors you need to make sure you've got the right pin. Also I would have expected them to be shown looking at the pins but I'm convinced that the TV unit diagram is a mirror image of the pins.

One small problem with connecting the blue socket straight onto the Nav unit is that it won't reach (if you leave the radio where it is). I unwrapped the loom and extended an earth wire and the audio twisted pair so that the blue connector could reach either the TV unit or the Nav unit.

I'll post again when the radio arrives to confirm that the audio works with the TV unit by-passed.
Old 1st May 2017, 19:27   #4
john949

rover 75 saloon

Sorry about the pinout table, I laid it out nicely using multiple spaces as tabs don't seem to work - unfortunately the multiple spaces have been deleted when the message was parsed. I think you can still make out what's going on.
Old 2nd May 2017, 21:22   #5
john949

rover 75 saloon

Radio arrived today and audio works fine.