Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th April 2017, 21:20   #1
markst

rover 75

Default water pump failure again

totally gutted replaced waterpump couple of years ago and is was a pig of a job , only done around 15k miles and its gone again .thought i bought a quality pump but obviously not wonder what make are worth fitting. last pump was from dmgrs so wondered if eurocarparts was worth a try.
markst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 22:21   #2
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Agree it's a fiddly job but not as bad as some.
Unusual for it to go at such a low mileage/time coverage though.
I have a preference for FAI pumps but there are many brands out there.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 22:23   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markst View Post
Last pump was from dmgrs so wondered if eurocarparts was worth a try.
Not if it is a Circoli pump. I got one from Eurocarparts and it lasted all of 60k miles.

Unlike the original, which bought the farm at just shy of 300k miles.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 08:21   #4
markst

rover 75

thanks lads..... will stay clear of eurocarparts and others that state oem quality.was only considering them as i can pick part up today. think i will just get a genuine rover one and wait for delivery seen one for aroud 60 quid which is what i paid for the last one that lasted 15k miles ! better safe than sorry pleased its a cdti and only threw an aux belt and not a cam belt !
markst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 11:51   #5
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Had a similar experience a while back.Normally I source all my own parts and supply them to the mechanic. This time I let the mechanic provide the water pump as they cover any issues. Boy was I glad I did it that way when the new water pump started leaking from the seal after about 3 months, no probs, mechanics covered the replacement , 3 months later the replacement pump started leaking again . The third pump has been fine for the last two years but it just shows how the quality of some parts are dodgy.
The seals seem to be the issue. Everyone gives you a warranty on the part but that doesn't help pay for the cost of having to re do the work !!
I'm not sure it really matters much where you get the pump from as I think most makers all use the same seals from the same supplier.
Seems like it's the luck of the draw
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 13:27   #6
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Not if it is a Circoli pump. I got one from Eurocarparts and it lasted all of 60k miles.

Unlike the original, which bought the farm at just shy of 300k miles.
Hmm, I've been recommended a Circoli pump for a V6 but your post makes me wonder (leaking pump is even more of a problem on a V6!).

How to know what brand to trust
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 14:04   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
How to know what brand to trust
The biggest problem we face keeping these cars reliably on the road for sure Colin.

I was a bit worried when I read that the water pump Mark fitted that didn't last came from Mat, as that is who I got the replacement for the Circoli from, but so far it has been fine. Just hope it stays that way.
Old 15th April 2017, 11:40   #8
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

I almost suspect that some of the seal failures might have somthing to do with the alignment of the primary belt ,tensioner etc.
I wonder if the tensioner isn't setup right ,the belt might be pulling on the pump pulley on a slight angle which could also stress the seal?
Just a theory. ??
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 13:01   #9
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

There is a big difference with some of these water pumps regarding the castings, especially the groove where the rubber seal/gasket sits. The cheaper pumps seem to have a deeper groove which causes the gasket to sit further down into the body of the casing, this would prevent a tight seal to be achieved against the block.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 13:19   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
I almost suspect that some of the seal failures might have somthing to do with the alignment of the primary belt ,tensioner etc.
I wonder if the tensioner isn't setup right ,the belt might be pulling on the pump pulley on a slight angle which could also stress the seal?
Just a theory. ??
It is an automatic tensioner that isn't adjustable - all I did was pull it back to release the belt and then the same again to put the new belt on after the pump was changed.