Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th November 2021, 13:12   #1
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts
Default Off to the paint shop

After some lengthy waiting i dropped off the old thing off to a highly recommended paint shop this morning to get the wheel arch cut out and replaced/Painted. This is after a supposed classic car restorer had a go at it and after 6 months or so the rust bubbles came through so more than a little disappointed!!
Also getting the front bumper resprayed and the rest of the car mopped and attention paid where needed overall so fingers crossed it will look nice once done and isn't going to be cheap but in for a penny or so they say.
Also big shout out to Andy (Trikey) for the loan of his ZT while mine is away being worked on as it's going to be a week or two before i get her back.
Will post some after pics on her return

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 09:35   #2
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default The problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
After some lengthy waiting i dropped off the old thing off to a highly recommended paint shop this morning to get the wheel arch cut out and replaced/Painted. This is after a supposed classic car restorer had a go at it and after 6 months or so the rust bubbles came through so more than a little disappointed!!
Also getting the front bumper resprayed and the rest of the car mopped and attention paid where needed overall so fingers crossed it will look nice once done and isn't going to be cheap but in for a penny or so they say.
Also big shout out to Andy (Trikey) for the loan of his ZT while mine is away being worked on as it's going to be a week or two before i get her back.
Will post some after pics on her return
Those rust bubbles are from inside and would have needed cutting out in the first place, the other problem is finding out why the seam has failed. I've not seen many of these cars rusting like this.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 09:53   #3
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

When the 75 was first announced, I thought that the shape of the rear wheel arch would be prone to rust - fortunately I was wrong, and none of my present ones have succumbed.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 10:16   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Mine went at the front of the rear arch, had to have it cut out.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 10:58   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I had a car that went there in the past. I reckon it was to do with the stone chips and air flow (therefore the direction the dirt and chips fly). Though the previous car went from.the outside in.

But if you look at the airflow/dirt witness marks before it is cleaned, it seems to gather in streaks - well my zt does.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 14:27   #6
Rogue

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
Those rust bubbles are from inside and would have needed cutting out in the first place, the other problem is finding out why the seam has failed. I've not seen many of these cars rusting like this.

The previous guy did say he had cut the section out but obviously that is very doubtful all things considered. I think it was far more likely that he just filled and painted hence why the bubbles came back so quickly. The original bubbles were tiny and hardly noticable which hadn't changed in a couple of years but they annoyed me every time i saw them while washing or polishing!
Will know better what's underneath when the new shop strips back.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Old 1st December 2021, 19:14   #7
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Default Barsteward...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
The previous guy did say he had cut the section out but obviously that is very doubtful all things considered. I think it was far more likely that he just filled and painted hence why the bubbles came back so quickly. The original bubbles were tiny and hardly noticable which hadn't changed in a couple of years but they annoyed me every time i saw them while washing or polishing!
Will know better what's underneath when the new shop strips back.
If he's still trading you want to go back with the metal the bodyshop cuts out. I hate bodgers.
Old 15th December 2021, 14:31   #8
Rogue

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Default Back from the paint shop

Well it's back from the paintshop and he has done a stunning job on the whole car. The following pictures really don't do his work justice but it is fair to say it is as close to factory fresh as it has ever been. The whole nearside rear quarter has been redone, front and rear bumper and the rest of the car has been cut back and repolished. I didn't ask him to repaint the rear bumper but as he had the paint made up and had some over he did it as well and refused to take any extra in payment for it !!! To say i am pleased is an understatement

I have no hesitation in recomending him and if anyone in the Norfolk area that wants any work done would like his number please feel free to get in touch.

He has also taken in progress pics so as soon as he sends them over to me i will add to these

Old 15th December 2021, 15:14   #9
Rogue

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Old 15th December 2021, 15:19   #10
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Default This guy!

Just what we need to see, someone that takes a pride in the job they do. To do extra for no extra cost should have him getting regular Rover work, it looks like he could fit the sill repairs too.
Top man, full marks.