Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th November 2021, 08:16   #11
mbev51
Banned

Removed

I’ve just read some places in Scotland are in their fourth day without electricity. Let’s hope that those without heating and the ability to cook are being helped.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 08:28   #12
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

So with all these Electricity Cuts,which some have lasted up to 72 hours how will you be charging all your Electric cars when we are forced into having them?

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 10:00   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

We have had cuts lasting 2 days during severe cold in the past. These things happen.

My small 2.8KW generator easily powers a kettle, microwave, single hotplate etc. If necessary I am also able to connect it to the central heating to power the oil fired boiler/controller/pump etc. as the garage is on a separate consumer unit and powers just the central heating and lighting/sockets in the garage. This means heat as well as hot water for washing up etc. A floodlight positioned at the front of the house in the garden gives enough lighting through the windows to move about and do the basics in the house.

We also have a wood burner + dry wood.

It's nice to be able to feed hot cups of tea to the people who work on fixing the power lines etc. if they are working near the property.

A petrol powered 2.5kW to 3kW can be bought for around £350 these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
So with all these Electricity Cuts,which some have lasted up to 72 hours how will you be charging all your Electric cars when we are forced into having them?

In exactly the same way that you fill up your fuel tank when tankers cannot deliver due to bad weather. You wait until the situation is resolved.

When exceptional weather events occur, people think carefully about conserving/using the energy they have stored in their tanks/batteries.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 10:16   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
We have had cuts lasting 2 days during severe cold in the past. These things happen.

My small 2.8KW generator easily powers a kettle, microwave, single hotplate etc. If necessary I am also able to connect it to the central heating to power the oil fired boiler/controller/pump etc. as the garage is on a separate consumer unit and powers just the central heating and lighting/sockets in the garage. This means heat as well as hot water for washing up etc. A floodlight positioned at the front of the house in the garden gives enough lighting through the windows to move about and do the basics in the house.

We also have a wood burner + dry wood.

It's nice to be able to feed hot cups of tea to the people who work on fixing the power lines etc. if they are working near the property.

A petrol powered 2.5kW to 3kW can be bought for around £350 these days.

In exactly the same way that you fill up your fuel tank when tankers cannot deliver due to bad weather. You wait until the situation is resolved.

When exceptional weather events occur, people think carefully about conserving/using the energy they have stored in their tanks/batteries.

my wife and I were talking about a generator only a little while ago.
How have you connected your generator to you electrics and how do you make sure it is not feeding into the national grid?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 13:10   #15
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I’ve just read some places in Scotland are in their fourth day without electricity. Let’s hope that those without heating and the ability to cook are being helped.
My brother in law is still without power in Moniaive. New ETA for re-connection is sometime this evening. Fortunately they do have a lot of wood. The oil- fired Aga is no use without power. They had a barbeque breakfast yesterday. With the electric pumped water supply out of commission too, I'm sure the novelty is wearing thin!
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 13:40   #16
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
my wife and I were talking about a generator only a little while ago.
How have you connected your generator to you electrics and how do you make sure it is not feeding into the national grid?

macafee2

You need an appropriate type of isolation switch. Get a qualified electrician to advise/fit.

See https://www2.theiet.org/forums/forum...hreadid=105202
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2021, 01:36   #17
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I wondered how long it would be before someone brought that up on this thread!

The answer is if a big storm is coming make sure the car is topped up first and then if you have a newer one such as the new MG ZS EV you can use the vehicle to load feature to power the essentials in your house. In our house we use about 20kwh per day and the ZS battery is 70kwh so we could keep ticking over for a while.
Old 30th November 2021, 18:24   #18
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
I wondered how long it would be before someone brought that up on this thread!

The answer is if a big storm is coming make sure the car is topped up first and then if you have a newer one such as the new MG ZS EV you can use the vehicle to load feature to power the essentials in your house. In our house we use about 20kwh per day and the ZS battery is 70kwh so we could keep ticking over for a while.
And the teams trying to reach the rural communities arriving in their battery powered 4x4’s and diggers are going to bail us out along with their battery powered chainsaws? Give me a break and get real.

I’m one of the lucky ones having lost power for only 3 days, lots in my area still have nothing 5 days and counting. Friends up behind me still have no electric at all despite having their own wind turbine(probably 75ft in height so not a baby)

Last edited by Lovel; 30th November 2021 at 18:52..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2021, 23:53   #19
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
And the teams trying to reach the rural communities arriving in their battery powered 4x4’s and diggers are going to bail us out along with their battery powered chainsaws? Give me a break and get real.

I’m one of the lucky ones having lost power for only 3 days, lots in my area still have nothing 5 days and counting. Friends up behind me still have no electric at all despite having their own wind turbine(probably 75ft in height so not a baby)
I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope you get power back soon. We also have occasional long power cuts (4 days after a storm was our record) so I do know how it feels.

I wasn't suggesting that teams of electric JCB's and 4x4's will be coming to your rescue, merely that having a massive battery parked outside capable of powering your central heating pump and boiler for a few days might be useful in extended power cuts.

Our current mk1 ZS EV doesn't have vehicle to load so I currently have a bank of leisure batteries always trickle charging in the barn and a mains invertor on standby however when we upgrade to the mk2 to that does have it I'll be able to ditch that and rather then being able to run the heating for around 18 hours we should be able to keep it going for 3 to 4 days, if not more.
Old 1st December 2021, 19:26   #20
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
hope your coal is better then ours, we will in future use wood.

macafee2
Are you using an open fire or an enclosed burner, I fitted a log burner three years ago and I fuel it with Supertherm brand coal, I put a small bucketful on in the evening and it's still glowing when I come down at 6.30am. The main part of the warmth is under the register plate and feeds the house nicely, the chimney in the upstairs bedroom acts as a ten foot radiator with the slow burn of the coal, it's so warm that on winter nights I'm pushing off the covers sometimes. You can also stand a thermal fan on top of a burner to channel warmth around the lower rooms if you choose.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote