Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th October 2021, 09:42   #1
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Communication between recovery companies………..

…………………….. is appalling.

We broke down yet again yesterday in Banana with total electrical failure. Trouble was we was over 80 miles from home at the Minack Theatre which is about 10 miles short of Lands End. We had such a lovely day at the theatre and walks along the coastal path, I have my niece staying with me. We returned to Banana at about 17.30. Got in and turned the key, all dash lights came on. She started then shut down. No dash lights, totally no power whatsoever. Tried a couple of times. Nothing.

Checked the battery connection, on tight. Wiggled all the under bonnet relays. I took the cover off for the fuse box and wiggled all the relays. Inertia switch hadn’t tripped. Tried again still totally nothing. But the central locking was working, and the hazard lights. Got out of the car and locked her up. Gave it a couple of minutes and the red light on the dash was flashing as normal. Unlocked the car and put the key in. All the dash lights came on, she turned over but wouldn’t fire. Then everything went out again.

The car park was now closing and we was stuck in the middle. But a very nice member of staff came over and took us back to the office so that I could phone the AA. The mobile signal was hit and miss. Got through to the AA and explained the problem, after taking down all my details and before she rang off I explained that the mobile signal was a bit hit and miss she replied that they would send me a text when help was on the way. I found out if I stood by the gate the signal was strong. The very nice chap locked the office up and said that he had made security aware that we was still on site.
I phoned Allen and told him what had happened and asked him to pop around to the house to put the lights on. He said that if push came to shove to leave Banana locked up in the car park and he would drive down to collect us.

I am so lucky to have such amazing friends.

A text came through informing me that “Four Winds” garage was on there way to us and would arrive at 18.35. And the text message also had the reason why we required assistance, we was out of fuel. WTF. We had plenty of fuel. Next text from “Four Winds” informed me that the rescue van would not now be with us till 19.30. Nothing else to do but wait in the car. It was still light enough but the wind was picking up. My niece had some snacks and water in her bag so we wouldn’t go hungry or thirsty. Banana has a nice big fleece blanket in the back so at least we could keep warm.

I was feeling very stressed as I was worried about my niece as she hasn’t been very well over the last 18 months and what with Banana it starting to tip me over the edge. My heart started to race, I felt sick. But Laura calmed me down by making me do the box 4 breathing exercise . It worked right up to the point she forgot to tell me to breathe out. The laughter eased the stress. Then my mobile rang, I could hear the rescue guy but he couldn’t hear me. I walked up to the gate in the dark and phoned him back. He wanted to know in which car park I was. I didn’t know there was another one.

He arrived and I let him in. He parked up and I walked over and explained that I wasn’t out of fuel has the text had implied. He wasn’t amused. I explained the problem and he said that the fault laid with my battery. He then put a booster battery on and put the key and there was no lights, nothing. He undone the battery connection and put them back on. Still nothing but the DRL’s came on along with the hazards. The central locking was working and finally the dash lights came on. And she turned over and fired for about 20 seconds before dying.

He concluded that we needed a recovery truck to get us home. He then tried to phone his control but no signal. I explained about the signal. So took the van up to the gate to contact control. Came back to tell us that control was contacting the AA to request a recovery vehicle and they would text me within the next 20 minutes. And with that he left. We was no wiser. So after about 25 minutes I then phoned the AA. They had no record of any request for a recovery truck.

Laura then took the phone and explained that her uncle, me, needed to get home to take his medication for diabetes type one. We only had an emergency dose with us. Well that certainly got the ball rolling as the AA wanted to send an ambulance as well. Laura replied please just send the truck. The AA made us a priority case. We walked back to Banana, a text came saying that a vehicle would be with us by 21.10.
Laura got the blanket and we huddled together. I was cold although I had a coat on.

Then Orange strobes lit up the sky. Laura went to let the rescue truck in. I put on the hazards so he could see me. He parked in front and the platform was down and she was being winched on. He took photos of her to prove that no damage had been done in the loading up. He spoke to Laura and she must have told him that I was feeling very well. They both got me into the rear section of the cab. And Laura put my seatbelt on. Then she got out and went and opened the gate to let the truck out. He waited whilst Laura closed the gate. Then we was off. The relief just washed over me. I could feel the tears welling up. And then a hand with a tissue was wiping away the tears. Laura you are a star.

The recovery driver asked who had come out to us initially and I replied “Four Winds”, and he asked what was the issue. I then explained everything. He said that communication between companies was appalling. He said that he had just dropped a car off in Penzance when he got the call.
The drive home was ok but the seats in those trucks are uncomfortable and cramped. Laura hooked her arm in mine and she chatted away to keep me awake. We still had the blanket over our knees.

The A38 was shut at Bodmin so we continued on the A30 till we got off at Launcston. After awhile we was soon approaching Saltash. The driver managed to swing the truck around so we could get Banana unloaded and parked up in front of the Bear. Whilst he was unloading I got Laura indoors, Allen had also put on the heating so at least it was warm inside. I left Laura and went back outside to find that Banana was perfectly parked in her usual place. The driver said who had a Pink Smart car with the sticker on the back which said “My Other Car is a V8”. I owned up, and he laughed. We said goodnight and he was gone.

The time was now 23.55. So after a pot of tea, I took my tablets. Laura washed up and I cleared up. Then Laura poured me out a large single malt before she went to bed. I was under strict orders to sip the drink and to relax before going to bed. Which I did.
Had a lousy nights sleep. Laura slept ok though and that was such a relief to know she was ok.

So now we need to get to the bottom of Bananas problems, but not today. Today I’m under instructions to rest and relax.

****Just to clarify I do not have diabetes type one but type two****

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 13th October 2021 at 09:47.. Reason: Spellin’
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2021, 10:03   #2
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

What a nightmare .

Glad you eventually made it home and are safe and sound.

It's at times like these that you find out who has your back, and, as you say, we're lucky to have friends on this forum who'll help out (in my case you know who you are when we needed help in the North East) and family who'll always be there.

Take care.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2021, 11:26   #3
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
…………………….. is appalling.

We broke down yet again yesterday in Banana with total electrical failure. Trouble was we was over 80 miles from home at the Minack Theatre which is about 10 miles short of Lands End. We had such a lovely day at the theatre and walks along the coastal path, I have my niece staying with me. We returned to Banana at about 17.30. Got in and turned the key, all dash lights came on. She started then shut down. No dash lights, totally no power whatsoever. Tried a couple of times. Nothing.

Checked the battery connection, on tight. Wiggled all the under bonnet relays. I took the cover off for the fuse box and wiggled all the relays. Inertia switch hadn’t tripped. Tried again still totally nothing. But the central locking was working, and the hazard lights. Got out of the car and locked her up. Gave it a couple of minutes and the red light on the dash was flashing as normal. Unlocked the car and put the key in. All the dash lights came on, she turned over but wouldn’t fire. Then everything went out again.

The car park was now closing and we was stuck in the middle. But a very nice member of staff came over and took us back to the office so that I could phone the AA. The mobile signal was hit and miss. Got through to the AA and explained the problem, after taking down all my details and before she rang off I explained that the mobile signal was a bit hit and miss she replied that they would send me a text when help was on the way. I found out if I stood by the gate the signal was strong. The very nice chap locked the office up and said that he had made security aware that we was still on site.
I phoned Allen and told him what had happened and asked him to pop around to the house to put the lights on. He said that if push came to shove to leave Banana locked up in the car park and he would drive down to collect us.

A text came through informing me that “Four Winds” garage was on there way to us and would arrive at 18.35. And the text message also had the reason why we required assistance, we was out of fuel. WTF. We had plenty of fuel. Next text from “Four Winds” informed me that the rescue van would not now be with us till 19.30. Nothing else to do but wait in the car. It was still light enough but the wind was picking up. My niece had some snacks and water in her bag so we wouldn’t go hungry or thirsty. Banana has a nice big fleece blanket in the back so at least we could keep warm.

I was feeling very stressed as I was worried about my niece as she hasn’t been very well over the last 18 months and what with Banana it starting to tip me over the edge. My heart started to race, I felt sick. But Laura calmed me down by making me do the box 4 breathing exercise . It worked right up to the point she forgot to tell me to breathe out. The laughter eased the stress. Then my mobile rang, I could hear the rescue guy but he couldn’t hear me. I walked up to the gate in the dark and phoned him back. He wanted to know in which car park I was. I didn’t know there was another one.

He arrived and I let him in. He parked up and I walked over and explained that I wasn’t out of fuel has the text had implied. He wasn’t amused. I explained the problem and he said that the fault laid with my battery. He then put a booster battery on and put the key and there was no lights, nothing. He undone the battery connection and put them back on. Still nothing but the DRL’s came on along with the hazards. The central locking was working and finally the dash lights came on. And she turned over and fired for about 20 seconds before dying.

He concluded that we needed a recovery truck to get us home. He then tried to phone his control but no signal. I explained about the signal. So took the van up to the gate to contact control. Came back to tell us that control was contacting the AA to request a recovery vehicle and they would text me within the next 20 minutes. And with that he left. We was no wiser. So after about 25 minutes I then phoned the AA. They had no record of any request for a recovery truck.

Laura then took the phone and explained that her uncle, me, needed to get home to take his medication for diabetes type one. We only had an emergency dose with us. Well that certainly got the ball rolling as the AA wanted to send an ambulance as well. Laura replied please just send the truck. The AA made us a priority case. We walked back to Banana, a text came saying that a vehicle would be with us by 21.10.
Laura got the blanket and we huddled together. I was cold although I had a coat on.

Then Orange strobes lit up the sky. Laura went to let the rescue truck in. I put on the hazards so he could see me. He parked in front and the platform was down and she was being winched on. He took photos of her to prove that no damage had been done in the loading up. He spoke to Laura and she must have told him that I was feeling very well. They both got me into the rear section of the cab. And Laura put my seatbelt on. Then she got out and went and opened the gate to let the truck out. He waited whilst Laura closed the gate. Then we was off. The relief just washed over me. I could feel the tears welling up. And then a hand with a tissue was wiping away the tears. Laura you are a star.

The recovery driver asked who had come out to us initially and I replied “Four Winds”, and he asked what was the issue. I then explained everything. He said that communication between companies was appalling. He said that he had just dropped a car off in Penzance when he got the call.
The drive home was ok but the seats in those trucks are uncomfortable and cramped. Laura hooked her arm in mine and she chatted away to keep me awake. We still had the blanket over our knees.

The A38 was shut at Bodmin so we continued on the A30 till we got off at Launcston. After awhile we was soon approaching Saltash. The driver managed to swing the truck around so we could get Banana unloaded and parked up in front of the Bear. Whilst he was unloading I got Laura indoors, Allen had also put on the heating so at least it was warm inside. I left Laura and went back outside to find that Banana was perfectly parked in her usual place. The driver said who had a Pink Smart car with the sticker on the back which said “My Other Car is a V8”. I owned up, and he laughed. We said goodnight and he was gone.

The time was now 23.55. So after a pot of tea, I took my tablets. Laura washed up and I cleared up. Then Laura poured me out a large single malt before she went to bed. I was under strict orders to sip the drink and to relax before going to bed. Which I did.
Had a lousy nights sleep. Laura slept ok though and that was such a relief to know she was ok.

So now we need to get to the bottom of Bananas problems, but not today. Today I’m under instructions to rest and relax.

Bob, The staff that most rescue services employ have no idea what a car engine is about. They just have a set of questions to ask, and because nobody talks anymore, they simply cannot relay messages. Problem is that they are all the same from what my friends tell me. I have been with the RAC (full, and expensive, cover) for over 40 years, and whilst happy in the early days, their service has declined dramatically, just like everything these days!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2021, 12:29   #4
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

We had an iissue with my mk2 metro once and the water pump had failed. Alice was driving it. we contacted the AA before 6 pm and she finally got home at 02:30 in te morning after a lone female sitting on a motorway barrier for 4/5 hours and then in a service station at night on her own.

Another time with a 75 they kept telling us times and not showing up.
Old 13th October 2021, 13:20   #5
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Unfortunately this is all too common with breakdown services at the moment.
Last 2 breakdowns with RAC were a 7 hour wait and 4 hours. Not good enough.
RAC is currently modifying its business model with breakdown services being greatly affected. Lack of staff, new poorly trained staff, profit over service.
My wife asked me why I have a long hi viz coat and a blanket in my car. It's becoming necessary equipment I'm afraid.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 13th October 2021, 18:19   #6
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
…………………….. is appalling.

I am very sorry to hear of your troubles, it must have been very worrying to be stranded in the middle of nowhere really, your niece deserves a medal, glad to see you got home in good order, I hope you and Banana both recover quickly, I do enjoy your travel stories, please keep well and keep them coming.

PS Humans possess many skills, communicating effectively is sadly not one of them.

I am very sorry to hear of your troubles, it must have been very worrying to be stranded in the middle of nowhere really, your niece deserves a medal, glad to see you got home in good order, I hope you and Banana both recover quickly, I do enjoy your travel stories, please keep well and keep them coming.

PS Humans possess many skills, communicating effectively is sadly not one of them.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2021, 18:29   #7
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Bob, The staff that most rescue services employ have no idea what a car engine is about. They just have a set of questions to ask, and because nobody talks anymore, they simply cannot relay messages. Problem is that they are all the same from what my friends tell me. I have been with the RAC (full, and expensive, cover) for over 40 years, and whilst happy in the early days, their service has declined dramatically, just like everything these days!
I couldn't agree more with you, the key is 'nobody talks any more' and more importantly, nobody actually listens, they don't know how to.

We are rapidly creating the perfect storm for human extinction, blissfully unawares of what is happening, moronic governments, selfish politicians, deliberate poor communicating with the public, you name it, the Covid fiasco was one such example, perfectly showcasing humanity's inability to organise, communicate, and act effectively, had it not been for the scientists to develop effective vaccines, we all be singing a very different tune.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2021, 23:30   #8
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Glad you are OK Bob and had someone with you.

I'll also add that a lot of people just don't give a flying fig. I make a point of stopping for someone broken down, or looking like they need help, even when on my bicycle. A friend thought I was looney tunes for stopping to try and help, "they could be crazy".

I often can't help, but at least someone giving a toss might make their day better. I despair when someone asks if you are OK when stopped and don't wait for an answer as they whizz past! Like a tick box to make them feel better. FFS.

Last edited by first-things-first; 13th October 2021 at 23:32..
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 10:30   #9
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Strawberry to the rescue

I phoned the local tyre & battery company to order a battery, they had the one I wanted. So I drove up in Strawberry. Oh! My! How they laughed.

Fitted the battery to Banana, put the key in and everything lit up. She started and ticked over. Left her running for about 20 minutes. turned her off and tried again, started and run ok. Noticed a loud ticking sound, think it's always been there but for some reason today it seemed louder.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 11:07   #10
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Good news and fingers crossed that FB will behave herself for the foreseeable future.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote