Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th August 2021, 06:53   #1
Fred Wurst

MG ZT

Default Traction control problem - engine not reving

Hello, I have the problem with the traction control lamp being on very often when driving. The engine stalls and its difficult to accelerate over 3000 rpm. Has anyone else had this problem with the ZT-T KV6? I have changed the MAP-sensor just because I had a new one on the shelf, but that didn't help. So I'm starting to think it has something to do with the traction control and air/fuel mixture.
Fred Wurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2021, 07:41   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Wurst View Post
Hello, I have the problem with the traction control lamp being on very often when driving. The engine stalls and its difficult to accelerate over 3000 rpm. Has anyone else had this problem with the ZT-T KV6? I have changed the MAP-sensor just because I had a new one on the shelf, but that didn't help. So I'm starting to think it has something to do with the traction control and air/fuel mixture.
In my experience the traction control being on won't cause the engine to either stall or any difficulty in acceleration. Do you have any fault codes?

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2021, 07:49   #3
Fred Wurst

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
In my experience the traction control being on won't cause the engine to either stall or any difficulty in acceleration. Do you have any fault codes?

Regards
No fault codes
Old 27th August 2021, 08:01   #4
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

OK, first thing that comes to mind is fuel pressure. Your car is a 2003 and the fuel filters sometimes unscrew and you loose pressure, do you know if you have a clip on the filter? Have you checked fuel pressure at the rail is approx. 3.5 bar?

Regards
Old 27th August 2021, 08:23   #5
Fred Wurst

MG ZT

No haven't checked the fuel pressure yet, but I will. Fuel filter was changed earlier this year by previous owner at a shop. I read somewhere else that it could have something to do with the cable that comes from the traction contol to the throttle assy and not letting air in as it should... The problem occures about 8 times out of 10 when driving the car, the 2 times it drives fine.
Old 27th August 2021, 09:19   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
Fuel filter was changed earlier this year by previous owner at a shop.
Ah ha!

Fred; follow vitesse's advice on this. The fuel filter shouldn't have been touched.

Simon
Old 27th August 2021, 09:37   #7
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

There is an issue I have had in the past where the traction control goes through a self test procedure which fully closes the butterfly on the inlet tract throttle assembly and then releases to re open the butterfly.
My problem was a broken tooth on the traction control unit which jammed preventing the control from returning to rest and the butterfly in the throttle assembly stayed closed.
The car would start fine but not rev past around 2000 rpm.

This will be evident as soon as you begin to move and it did not cause my engine to stall though

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2021, 09:43   #8
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
No haven't checked the fuel pressure yet, but I will. Fuel filter was changed earlier this year by previous owner at a shop. I read somewhere else that it could have something to do with the cable that comes from the traction contol to the throttle assy and not letting air in as it should... The problem occures about 8 times out of 10 when driving the car, the 2 times it drives fine.
Easy solution: disconnect the cable and make sure the butterfly flap is fully open, but I have changed quite a few traction control motors and never heard of any negative influence on engine performance.

So check the fuel pressure using the Schraeder valve and if below 3.5 bar then suspect the filter.

You might like to know I have a Rover T4 diagnostic computer in Gävle - bit far on this occasion if your car isn't running well, but perhaps good to know if anything else crops-up.

Regards

ps. Swedish 75 group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1800705170206717
Old 27th August 2021, 11:17   #9
Fred Wurst

MG ZT

Thanks good to know! Nice with a swedish Facebook-group also. I am new to Rover/MG cars and need tips and tricks. Gävle is a snowball's throw away with northern measures in mind.
Old 27th August 2021, 11:19   #10
Fred Wurst

MG ZT

Thanks for the input. The butterfly throttle was closed on mine, runs fine til next time. Have to look closer on the traction control broken tooth issue.