Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th April 2021, 11:32   #1
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Default Mark 1 headlamp difference

After polishing the headlamps on my 52 reg Tourer and my 53 reg Connie I realised the lights are different . The earlier car has clear glass and the Connie appear darker and more ' smoked' in appearance. Was there a change made at some point or has someone been swapping parts ?

The Connie has been altered since she left Longbridge by a previous owner such as a change of colour from Royal Blue to Steel Blue and 18'' wheels which looked nice but ruined the ride which I changed back to 16'' unions before they broke the suspension, although the ride is still a lot firmer than the tourer !

A previous owner was on the forum under the name of Big Blue and we spoke a while ago by pm and he believes it was done by the first owner . She is still a lovely looking car and I get a few admiring glances when out and about.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2021, 12:59   #2
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
After polishing the headlamps on my 52 reg Tourer and my 53 reg Connie I realised the lights are different . The earlier car has clear glass and the Connie appear darker and more ' smoked' in appearance. Was there a change made at some point or has someone been swapping parts ?

The Connie has been altered since she left Longbridge by a previous owner such as a change of colour from Royal Blue to Steel Blue and 18'' wheels which looked nice but ruined the ride which I changed back to 16'' unions before they broke the suspension, although the ride is still a lot firmer than the tourer !

A previous owner was on the forum under the name of Big Blue and we spoke a while ago by pm and he believes it was done by the first owner . She is still a lovely looking car and I get a few admiring glances when out and about.
I have a 52 plate Tourer and my front lights are clear plastic certainly not smoked.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2021, 13:29   #3
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Wasn’t the MG headlights a smoked colour and the rover ones clearer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25th April 2021, 13:40   #4
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

This is what I'm wondering . I'm starting to think someone has wanted to turn a Connoisseur se into a ZT !
Old 25th April 2021, 15:27   #5
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

My MGZT 04 has "clear" plastic. Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2021, 15:42   #6
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

There are plenty of choices in the Mk1 standard head lamps over the years. I find the grey housing ones to be the best quality and less likely to fade.

Ive about 15 sets here of Mk1 halogen lamps, ones that are Mk1 smoked with black backing and still have the rover logo on them, and black backing clear with no rover logo on them, plus a bunch of preproject drive ones in grey without smoke and rover logos.

Basically once the exterior housing went black it was available. Earliest car I've removed a set of black housing black tint from was a December 2001 2.0 v6 in white gold that still had the rover script on the head lamp glass. Can't say if they where original buy I've owned 02 and 03 75s that where 1 owner unmodified examples and came with them.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2021, 15:46   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The only OEM 'smoked' lenses are for the reverse lights on the 75. The ZT isn't 'smoked'. See: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001657

However, I understand that the ZT headlamps have a black inner bezel, whereas the 75 is a gray color. They're certainly interchangeable. The Rimmer listing gives the relevant VINs. Note the 'black bezel' versions:: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001651

Too late as usual.
TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2021, 16:10   #8
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The only OEM 'smoked' lenses are for the reverse lights on the 75. The ZT isn't 'smoked'. See: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001657

However, I understand that the ZT headlamps have a black inner bezel, whereas the 75 is a gray color. They're certainly interchangeable. The Rimmer listing gives the relevant VINs. Note the 'black bezel' versions:: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001651

Too late as usual.
TC
Been for a closer look. My tourer lenses are marked Rover and Hella and are chrome looking just inside whilst the Connie lenses are marked Hella on the main beams and made in UK on the outer lenses and are black just behind the lenses. The difference I noticed the other day and was curious as they are both standard halogens.