Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th April 2021, 16:41   #1
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

Default Phone scam!

Had three calls on my mobile phone today, all stating my national insurance number had been compromised and legal action would be brought against me immediately unless I pressed 1 to resolve the issue!
All three calls were automated, one was very insistant that I press 1, repeated until I hung up ("press 1 now", seven times in a row!). The automated recording wasn't of good quality which was a bit of a giveaway.
All three numbers started 07884, one was 461336, another 461357 and the last one I deleted without noting the number, but it was similar.
Although I had no doubts a quick check on line proved them to be known scam calls, just thought I would post a heads-up to warn others about it incase they or anyone they know is targeted.
bsafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 17:28   #2
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsafly View Post
All three numbers started 07884, one was 461336, another 461357 and the last one I deleted without noting the number, but it was similar.
Although I had no doubts a quick check on line proved them to be known scam calls, just thought I would post a heads-up to warn others about it incase they or anyone they know is targeted.
So, do they buy/rent blocks of telephone numbers or are they getting into service provider systems and "borrowing" blocks?

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 17:33   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

If I do not recognise the number then I don’t pick up the phone, mobile or landline. The answer phone kicks in, then if I recognise the voice then I interrupt the call. On my answerphone is the following message, “If the call is important then please leave a message, if it’s a scam call then go away”. The message rarely gets halfway through before it rings off.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 18:11   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsafly View Post
Had three calls on my mobile phone today, all stating my national insurance number had been compromised and legal action would be brought against me immediately unless I pressed 1 to resolve the issue!
All three calls were automated, one was very insistant that I press 1, repeated until I hung up ("press 1 now", seven times in a row!). The automated recording wasn't of good quality which was a bit of a giveaway.
Pressing one repeats the message, and then pressing one again causes it to disconnect (perhaps they are not used to someone pressing one lol). I was bored and wanted to discuss numbers, with whoever answered, particularly after insisting on discussing lottery numbers lol.

My favourite is when 'windows' calls me with a problem. it just gets better when they ask me to open windows.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 18:37   #5
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Talking

When I answer these calls, my non de plumes are usually Mr Juan Kmiov, Mr Paul Maskinback, Mr Lou Briccant or Mr Drew Peacock.
Old 12th April 2021, 19:58   #6
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

I've had a couple of texts (not emails) from scammers pretending to be HMCR saying I had a tax refund. My pension isn't big enough to pay tax so I knew that was garbage.
Then last month I had two texts which had Royal Mail where the number should be. They said I owed £2.99 on a package and to click on the link below, or 'action will be taken'
Whoever sent the Mail texts clearly doesn't understand how excess charges work in this country.
There's a lot of it about. Well done you for spotting the scam immediately
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 20:16   #7
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I had one the other day and as I was in a playful mood I thought I would see what happened.
The call was about condensation in the loft space and they wanted to send someone round to do a survey.

Lots of spheal about it being government backed etc, then they got to the point of asking for my birth date.
I replied that I could not see what relevance my birth date had to carrying out this survey, his reply was that he would have to talk to his supervisor .... then the phone went dead.

Its a small pleasure but I do love winding them up!
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 21:32   #8
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

The mother in law has a way of dealing with scam callers,
when she answers the 'phone she talks over them in her best doddery voice "oh Doctor I'm glad you called, those tablets you gave me have given me the 5h1ts, there is 5h1t everywhere, in my bed.....", by this time they generally hang up!
I Don't think I could get away with it though.
bsafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 22:48   #9
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

I love when I get these calls, I pretend they have phoned mi5 and we have began a cyber trace on them. Always gets you off their lists.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2021, 00:39   #10
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp61973 View Post
When I answer these calls, my non de plumes are usually Mr Juan Kmiov, Mr Paul Maskinback, Mr Lou Briccant or Mr Drew Peacock.
Nice one but I usually refer to the old Porkies film and give my name as Mike Hunt, they always question it normally twice , its then up to you to give them the spelling, it can be fun if your in the mood

Last edited by Gazmo65; 13th April 2021 at 00:39.. Reason: speeling
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote