Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th August 2020, 17:24   #1
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Default MG motor advert offensive to Z owners

https://www.desiragroup.com/mg-offers/mg-swappage/

While searching the other day came across this

It seems to me to infer to scrap a decent ZR to buy a Chinese piece of ####.
We own both a ZR and an MG3 but the 3 is no match for the ZR 115 TD in any department.
I left desira a poor review but rang them today and some idiot was basically taking the pi$$ so the review stays

The reason I'm so annoyed is that when you visit most but not all SIAC MG dealers they are very keen to tell you they are NOTHING to do with MG Rover of the past so if this is the case the ZR is nothing to do with them (I appreciate SIAC own the intellectual rights to the ZR)
It does nothing for MG Zs to achieve proper classic status and is bad for used prices of our cars.
Desira tells me that advertisement is a national MG motor campaign but I cant find other dealers with it.
I suggested to them that they photoshop something to make a generic car but he would have none of it.
If you look at their reviews you can see the one I left them , leave your own if you wish .

Although its branded swappage it is actually to advertise a scrappage scheme by MG motor , although in theory and vehicle in this could be bought unlike the government scheme but that depends on someone recognising an historic vehicle

Last edited by Russp; 11th August 2020 at 17:28..
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2020, 18:13   #2
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I think old mg-rovers are often victims of that, as there is no corporation that will take offence any more. There were a few breakdown ads that used them. Would I trade in my distinctive 25 bubble for a chunky SUV, looking much the same as every other brand? No, but looking around I guess I’m in the minority.
Old 11th August 2020, 20:50   #3
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

I would take any MG-Rover model over any of the Chinese MGs.

In fact I’d take most MG-Rovers over most of what's on the roads these days.

Schemes like this will make a dent in the numbers of surviving MG-Rovers no doubt, but I’d like to think it will be ones that are a little past their best and not enthusiast owned good examples. This in turn will make the cars even more rare and they may ever so slightly go up in value in time.
Mean & Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2020, 20:59   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Adverts like this do nothing for the survival of our cars, I find this terrible for a MG dealer to put our cars down in this way.

If I was in the market for a new car (Which I am not) I would definitely be giving these guys a swerve.

Old 11th August 2020, 21:02   #5
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

The mere fact that they are offering such large discounts says that their cars would never sell at the official price, and that ours are worth more. I have noticed a rise in prices for good (but not exceptional) examples anyway.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2020, 21:06   #6
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Trophy Yellow, now there is something to aspire to, unlike the current crop of "MG".

I was speaking to a chap only last week who has had no end of issues with his MG3 which has spent more time in the workshop of Bulldog Garage, than on his driveway.

Given the choice between a badge engineered 25, or simply a Chinese badge, I know what I'd be buying !!
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2020, 21:07   #7
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

This is just another indication that shows that MG Motor is not really MG but SAIC.
Ads like these show that SAIC only cares about the heritage of the MG brand when it can be used to sell their SUVs and pickup trucks.
At my stage in life it is unlikely that I will buy another new car but If I was to it certainly wouldn't be "Made in China", SAIC, Geely or otherwise.
Old 11th August 2020, 21:16   #8
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Well if the standard of many of the spares that emenate from China is anything to go by, l certainly wouldn't want a complete car made by them.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2020, 21:25   #9
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

The MG3 we have was screwed together at longbridge so has European tyres and wipers but doesn't feel that substantial. The reason I recommended it is that it is easy to service and very simple. The general arrangement of the suspension is identical to the maestro.
The dealer in brandon were really good the service manager had a ZS and metro turbo but this lot in diss seem quite obnoxious, even recommending to me I come and try the new MGs and suggesting I have my MGs serviced there
I'm hoping I get a response from Danny Hopkins from practical classics as if SIAC want the MG badge that comes with some moral responsibility in this country
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2020, 23:37   #10
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

That's a nice signal box in Brandon.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote