Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th May 2018, 20:35   #1
m2n
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2004 Contemporary SE 2.5 Auto

Default What you see is what you got..

I have seen some posts about how expensive it is,or will be, for the Rover/MG what ever the year/model. Well for one consider the age of the car, consider the fact that the previous owner has neglected and abused the car. So the chances are it is going to cost you a few quid to get her sorted out.
So if you are not prepared to do that leave it to someone that will, I personally will have to spend a further £4-500 on my "eve" but she's worth every penny. The Mrs don't mind cos she loves the air con and leather seats.
She was the: 103,715th 75 to run off production line, out of 112,381
She was the: 382nd 75 2.5 V6 Contemporary SE to be made out of 686
She was the: 1,415th 75 in Firefrost Red (code CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75's
m2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 22:03   #2
daveconnolly
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2n View Post
I have seen some posts about how expensive it is,or will be, for the Rover/MG what ever the year/model. Well for one consider the age of the car, consider the fact that the previous owner has neglected and abused the car. So the chances are it is going to cost you a few quid to get her sorted out.
So if you are not prepared to do that leave it to someone that will, I personally will have to spend a further £4-500 on my "eve" but she's worth every penny. The Mrs don't mind cos she loves the air con and leather seats.
Totally agree. Paid 1400 for my 75 diesel 9 months ago but has problems with it cutting out. New ubp injector. New Crank senser. New fuel filter. New ecu a week ago new hp fuel regulater last week t4 check last week with no faults as such. And has cut out again. Now wife won't drive it. I can't do these jobs my self so has cost a lot with the price of parts and labour. Failed m o t a month ago on 2 broken springs. But passed 2 days later. Wife wants rid. So far has cost me well over 2 grand including cost of car.. But after spending all this money I'm hoping that it can be fixed for not much more. I am getting a bit fed up now. But I love this car only done 62000 and is a lovely machine. I just keep telling my self what else could I buy for this sort of money. The comfort. Looks. Etc. Even after all the expense and problems with it cutting out. When I walk away i still turn round and look at it and every thing seems OK. If I can get it fixed for a bit more money then it will be worth it.
I often stand at the window looking at the rover something I have never done with any of the other cars I have owned. These 75 certainly get under your skin
daveconnolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 07:14   #3
m2n
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveconnolly View Post
Totally agree. Paid 1400 for my 75 diesel 9 months ago but has problems with it cutting out. New ubp injector. New Crank senser. New fuel filter. New ecu a week ago new hp fuel regulater last week t4 check last week with no faults as such. And has cut out again. Now wife won't drive it. I can't do these jobs my self so has cost a lot with the price of parts and labour. Failed m o t a month ago on 2 broken springs. But passed 2 days later. Wife wants rid. So far has cost me well over 2 grand including cost of car.. But after spending all this money I'm hoping that it can be fixed for not much more. I am getting a bit fed up now. But I love this car only done 62000 and is a lovely machine. I just keep telling my self what else could I buy for this sort of money. The comfort. Looks. Etc. Even after all the expense and problems with it cutting out. When I walk away i still turn round and look at it and every thing seems OK. If I can get it fixed for a bit more money then it will be worth it.
I often stand at the window looking at the rover something I have never done with any of the other cars I have owned. These 75 certainly get under your skin
Ditto that.. mine has had 4 new tyres, new brakes on front,New rear brakes+discs,had it serviced(last one prob in 1867). So far cost me about £600 On top of £750 I paid for her...but worth every single penny
She was the: 1,415th 75 in Firefrost Red (code CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75's
Old 30th May 2018, 07:53   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

only worth spending money if you intend to keep the car.
I bought a Tourer in March? It is in pieces ion the garage as it had a duff clutch, this I was prepared for financially but the faults and missing damaged parts I have since come across I was not prepared for. Whilst not mega money, about £200 plus taking bits from a car I'm breaking it does hurt. If It goes on to pass an I'll be delighted.

Improvements to the car will then follow, I have most of the parts but will not fit them until is passes an mot, fuel burning heater, cruise control, self dimming mirror, full size spare wheel, different tool tray.

Have to trace a water leak source that is running down rear off side pillar, Google and here suggest the problem could be under the roof bars. Another leak is at the rear nearside window.

Hopefully the car will not prove expensive, so far buying, transportation and parts required to fix the car has cost between £1,200 and £1,300.

I should have looked the car over more carefully and asked more questions but I got the car from a forum member.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 07:59   #5
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

They are now old cars with several owners. If I bought a 2002 Fiesta I would expect to have to pay for brakes, tyres, cam belt and find out why it was running rough and only giving me 30mpg a month into ownership.
Would I buy a 2002 Fiesta? No. Why waste money on a common as muck, bland and boring shopping trolley?
Take the front end off your 75. Rust? No. Still a quality car even at 16 years old. For some it’s about preserving the name and keeping them. For some it’s about enjoying a quality car as their daily drive. Either way it’s going to cost money and as long as we continue to buy old cars we will have bills.
Compare that with the financial commitment of paying £200 or more each month for a much newer car. They have bills too AND they depreciate. By way of an example, the window regulator on my wife’s Renault.............£450. Now that really hurt.
My recent bill for work on the 75.......£400. But I now have a top performing quality motorway eater that gives me pleasure and still has strangers and friends give me positive comments each week.
Old 30th May 2018, 08:03   #6
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

You have to compare the costs involved to other used cars. Really, most of the costs are 'consumables' even the clutch. Then consider the traders on here, the spares network and the picture brightens. Another thing to mention is the expertise and knowledge afforded by the club members themselves, not so comprehensive in other car clubs. The 75/ZT is still 'the best kept secret'. They really can be cheap to run.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 08:03   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I would say your experiences highlight that a sophisticated car such as the 75/ZT is going to cost around £2k to attain a reasonable mechanical standard regardless of the purchase price.

In most cases it is unlikely that an owner is going to sell a car such as these for £200 to £300 if it has been well maintained and is all sorted.

If I could only afford to spend a total of £1.5k on a car, I would be looking at a 45 as it is a far simpler car and cheaper to maintain.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 09:08   #8
Nev The Bear
This is my second home

Does not matter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 987 Posts

Since I purchased my ZT-T nearly three years ago, whatever has needed doing to it has been done.

Such as:
Alloy wheel refurbishment
Full set of replacement tyres
Upgraded the Highline to wide screen and using latest sat nav disc available
Replacement door actuator
Brakes have been done all round includins discs, pads, rear drums and handbrake shoes
In addition to whatever it has needed on its annual service
Soon to be having rear springs fitted

Also lots more done that I have not listed

I think it has been worth it as most of the costs would still be payable on any other car as well.

I intend to keep Wurzel my ZT-T so I have no problem with having jobs done when they are needed. Also Wurzel has never had an advisory or failure on a MOT and I want to if possible keep him advisory or failure free.
Nev The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 09:13   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

If it were down to financial reasons, none of us would be running one of these cars!
Old 30th May 2018, 10:58   #10
m2n
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
They are now old cars with several owners. If I bought a 2002 Fiesta I would expect to have to pay for brakes, tyres, cam belt and find out why it was running rough and only giving me 30mpg a month into ownership.
Would I buy a 2002 Fiesta? No. Why waste money on a common as muck, bland and boring shopping trolley?
Take the front end off your 75. Rust? No. Still a quality car even at 16 years old. For some it’s about preserving the name and keeping them. For some it’s about enjoying a quality car as their daily drive. Either way it’s going to cost money and as long as we continue to buy old cars we will have bills.
Compare that with the financial commitment of paying £200 or more each month for a much newer car. They have bills too AND they depreciate. By way of an example, the window regulator on my wife’s Renault.............£450. Now that really hurt.
My recent bill for work on the 75.......£400. But I now have a top performing quality motorway eater that gives me pleasure and still has strangers and friends give me positive comments each week.
I too have had comments from people the best was from a teenager "What a beautiful car" says it all really....
I used to own a 2007 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi turbo and that flew like a rocket and was a good looking car...But it cannot and will never beat the R75 for looks and smooth comfortable ride, travelling on the motorway in my R75
is like riding Aladdins magic carpet... Just a pity I can't fly over the traffic...