Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th May 2018, 15:35   #1
steveharvey2001
Loves to post

Mini Cooper SE

Default First experience with the new 2018 MOT rules

I took my 75 CDT tourer for the MOT today, the first time under the new rules'.

It failed in the "dangerous defects" category on the parking brake efficiency being less than 50% of the required value.[1.4.2(a)(ii)]

I had read that such classes of faults would mean that the car is unsafe to drive and could not be driven away from the test station, however the manager told me that he has no space to hold customer's cars and they wouldn't be able to work on it until after the bank holiday anyway, so I have taken it home.

Thinking about it, it isn't unsafe to drive, it actually safer on the road than parked !

Last edited by steveharvey2001; 24th May 2018 at 15:59..
steveharvey2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 16:35   #2
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

It has struck me on reading about the new MOT regime that anything that causes a refusal of certificate means that the car can't be driven away from the testing centre as it is classed as dangerous to drive and a prosecutable offence.

I'm not advocating driving dangerous cars but presumably unless you're a capable DIY car enthusiast with acess to a car trailer then you will have to get your car repaired at the place that you got the car tested at.

Also if you can't immediately afford the repairs or the MOT testing place doesn't want to do the repair then why would they allow you to store your car on their premises?

What exactly are you supposed to do now?
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 17:23   #3
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

I see problems ahead with these new rules
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 17:42   #4
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrover View Post
I see problems ahead with these new rules

Local councils for one, they don't do repairs, just MOT's, if you leave the car on any garage premises because it can't be driven away (by law?) then the garage owners are responsible for anything that might happen to your car whilst in their care whether or not they will be repairing it.
There will no doubt be amended rules to follow.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 18:49   #5
Artermis
Regular poster

MG ZT

I had read the "dangerous" fault definitions on the .GOV websites and I thought it was asking for trouble... Suspect they're going to have to capitulate on it somewhat.

A garage is going to find themselves in some difficult situations if they try and withhold an owner's car from them; that could invite potential offences on the garage's part.

As a logical extension of that, how realistic is it to expect a garage to police the dangerous to drive on the road stance?

If a garage tells you that you can't drive the car on the road or you're not allowed your keys back, then everyone will just lie and say it's being recovered shortly. When the owner then jumps in the car and drives off, what is the garage going to do, call the police? Doesn't say much for customer relations does it.

There is also the obvious issue of garages that will simply declare any defect they find dangerous, just so the garage can assure themselves of the income from fixing the vehicle.

It's happened to a colleague of mine already, a young lass with a Fiat 500. You can see it coming can't you. Poor girl ended up with a bill of just over £600 for what was MOT, exhaust centre section, brake pads and CV boot because they told her it was dangerous. I'm not suggesting her car didn't need the work, however she didn't feel able to go away and get competitive quotes because they told her it was dangerous.

I'll have to see how I get on myself when my car is due for MOT in July. I use a place called WeOnlyMOT - bet you can't guess what they do? They dont do anything else either. Can you imagine a business in that situation telling customers they can't take their car or have to have it trailered away? It'll be the ruin of them in a heartbeat.

BD02 FFE - MG ZT+ 190 in Monogram Gulfstream, No 2 of 5 190 saloons made and ex-press garage vehicle.
Artermis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 19:42   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

if a failure is dangerous then a bulb failure falls under dangerous.

not how I read the mot stuff

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 23:03   #7
henocsr
Regular poster

MG ZT

I fail to see how the hand brake can be classed as dangerous and stopping the vehicle from being driven. It is a major but not a dangerous
henocsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 05:41   #8
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
if a failure is dangerous then a bulb failure falls under dangerous.

not how I read the mot stuff

macafee2
Quote:
Originally Posted by henocsr View Post
I fail to see how the hand brake can be classed as dangerous and stopping the vehicle from being driven. It is a major but not a dangerous
In most cases the tester can’t decide what category items fall into as the system does this for them. There seems to be a few items that are deemed to be incorrectly categorised

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 06:04   #9
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Interesting situation however, no point in taking a car for MOT with a defective hand brake commonly known as an emergency brake. I guess the moral of the story is this, have your car pre tested by a garage you trust. Would have saved the Fiat owner quite a bit.

Last edited by rustymotor; 25th May 2018 at 06:07..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 07:24   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artermis View Post
I had read the "dangerous" fault definitions on the .GOV websites and I thought it was asking for trouble... Suspect they're going to have to capitulate on it somewhat.

A garage is going to find themselves in some difficult situations if they try and withhold an owner's car from them; that could invite potential offences on the garage's part.

As a logical extension of that, how realistic is it to expect a garage to police the dangerous to drive on the road stance?

If a garage tells you that you can't drive the car on the road or you're not allowed your keys back, then everyone will just lie and say it's being recovered shortly. When the owner then jumps in the car and drives off, what is the garage going to do, call the police? Doesn't say much for customer relations does it.

There is also the obvious issue of garages that will simply declare any defect they find dangerous, just so the garage can assure themselves of the income from fixing the vehicle.

It's happened to a colleague of mine already, a young lass with a Fiat 500. You can see it coming can't you. Poor girl ended up with a bill of just over £600 for what was MOT, exhaust centre section, brake pads and CV boot because they told her it was dangerous. I'm not suggesting her car didn't need the work, however she didn't feel able to go away and get competitive quotes because they told her it was dangerous.

I'll have to see how I get on myself when my car is due for MOT in July. I use a place called WeOnlyMOT - bet you can't guess what they do? They dont do anything else either. Can you imagine a business in that situation telling customers they can't take their car or have to have it trailered away? It'll be the ruin of them in a heartbeat.

I think your view of a garage's role is not correct. The responsibility for ensuring that a dangerous car is not driven on the road before or after an MOT lies with the driver, not the MOT station. The MOT station's responsibility is to advise the driver of the condition of his/her car and what he/she should do with it to comply with the law. I do not believe that any garage will try to withhold a car against the owner/driver's wishes.

If one looks at MOT histories of cars on the gov website, it's obvious that a very large percentage of drivers pay no attention to even the basic condition of their cars e.g. non-functional lights, bold tyres, poor brakes etc. Going forward, any sensible driver would do these checks before taking the car for an MOT. Hopefully, this could even become a regular habit thus reducing the number of unroadworthy cars on the road.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote