Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd March 2014, 06:32   #1
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Manual Starlight Silver

Question Navall DD Android - My installation and usage question thread

Hi All,

I thought I'd best make a "catch-all" thread where I can post my questions about the DD Navall Android unit I recently received.

I did a preliminary installation to see if the unit functions properly (it does ) and noticed that I need to switch off the unit by pressing the left knob. Switching off ignition or removing the key does not silence the unit. Even if the unit is switched off by pressing the knob, the SRC button stays litt (red glow).

Is this normal behaviour of the unit or are 12V-ignition and 12V-permanent switched somehow (which is strange since the connectors are standard ZT )

Second question is about the subwoofer. I have a Harmon Kardon subwoofer assembly in/under the parcell shelf. All I find behind the dash is a connector that is supposed to go to the subwoofer. It is yellow connector with one yellow/purple wire. I can not find any other wiring that might go to the sub.

I will post pictures when I get back but if anyone can shed any light without them.... Much appreciated.

Sjonnie

Rover 75 2.5 Manual MK2 MY 05 Starlight Silver - Miss March 2022 / Miss May 2023
MG F 1.8i MK2 MY 00 in Anthracite

MG ZT-T 190+ MK2 MY 05 Xpower Grey (sold) - Mr Cover page 2021
Dearly missed: ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 MY 04 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. - Miss February 2016

Quote:
If it don't fit use a hammer
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 07:21   #2
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjonnie View Post
Hi All,

I thought I'd best make a "catch-all" thread where I can post my questions about the DD Navall Android unit I recently received.

I did a preliminary installation to see if the unit functions properly (it does ) and noticed that I need to switch off the unit by pressing the left knob. Switching off ignition or removing the key does not silence the unit. Even if the unit is switched off by pressing the knob, the SRC button stays litt (red glow).

Is this normal behaviour of the unit or are 12V-ignition and 12V-permanent switched somehow (which is strange since the connectors are standard ZT )

Second question is about the subwoofer. I have a Harmon Kardon subwoofer assembly in/under the parcell shelf. All I find behind the dash is a connector that is supposed to go to the subwoofer. It is yellow connector with one yellow/purple wire. I can not find any other wiring that might go to the sub.

I will post pictures when I get back but if anyone can shed any light without them.... Much appreciated.
Hi Jan,

Your unit should shut down with the keys removed .
It also can be switched off by holding the left knob or the src button down.
It sounds like the 12 volt ignition and 12 volt permanent live are round the wrong way or both somehow connected to the permanent live.
Have you got a multimeter?
If so you can test both the yellow and red live with the ignition on and then off and report back your findings.

The subwoofer out on the android is the same as for any after market head unit. It is designed to run to a standard amp with phono inputs or an active sub with phono inputs.
The Harman Kardon sub and amp is wired differently and would have been connected to the big block you unplugged at the bottom of your centre console.
This would have been the same with your Mgr WinCe unit.
To get your sub to operate you will need to run speaker cables back from the amp to that block in the dash and also power cable to switch the amp on again.
There is a thread on here about how to do this.

Hope that helps
Old 2nd March 2014, 12:49   #3
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for you reply!

Will test the wires with a multi-meter to check. I expected something like this

Connecting the subwoofer assembly will have to wait until another time. Preferably until the weather is good enough for the missus to use the MGF as her daily for a few days while I work on that project

One more question though: The cable between the unit and the ISO connectors has an orange cable marked amp-c. I connected that to the yellow/purple wire as I described in my first post. Do I need that connected that way or should the amp-c wire not be used?

Sjonnie

Rover 75 2.5 Manual MK2 MY 05 Starlight Silver - Miss March 2022 / Miss May 2023

Dearly missed: ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 MY 04 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. - Miss February 2016

Quote:
Old 2nd March 2014, 12:58   #4
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for you reply!

Will test the wires with a multi-meter to check. I expected something like this

Connecting the subwoofer assembly will have to wait until another time. Preferably until the weather is good enough for the missus to use the MGF as her daily for a few days while I work on that project

One more question though: The cable between the unit and the ISO connectors has an orange cable marked amp-c. I connected that to the yellow/purple wire as I described in my first post. Do I need that connected that way or should the amp-c wire not be used?
Amp-c is the 12v dc trigger output to switch external amps on.
What have you connected it to exactly?
If your not using an externally triggered amp it shouldn't be connected.
Wonder if this is why your unit isn't switching off!

Just checked......yellow/purple is the remote switching for the Harmon amp so should be correct.
Humour us and disconnect it though to see if your head unit then goes into standby correctly .

Last edited by coolcat; 2nd March 2014 at 13:01..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 13:13   #5
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Hi Jeff,

I just found the reason why it did not turn off when switching off ignition. Previous owner had soldered the 12V ignition on to the 12V permanent. Just cut it through and in the process of reconnecting it the proper way.

I can connect amp-c to yellow/purple but would that make any difference in sound? I can't really believe that only the trigger wire would be enough

Keep you posted!

Sjonnie

Quote:
Old 2nd March 2014, 16:44   #6
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

OK, so the unit is in and it sits sort of flush in the dash (give or take 1,5 mm ). I think I'll leave it at that.

Been trying to get some music playing from USB and micro SD cards. No luck through the player.

I have an SD card (16GB MSDOS formatted) filled with MP3's. All which do not exceed 320 Kbps and all equipped with album art incorporated into the file. The player does not recognize the files and says the card is empty What are the specs the files have to have in order to play them? Mind you, the SD card was placed in both the right slot and the left. Did not make any difference.

Next I connected a 16 GB USB stick containing some audio files in MP3 format (max 320 kbps but most were less than that). Again the player told me it had not found any files.

Finally I tried to change the background and start-up logo. Also tried to change the start-up logo of iGo Prime. I inserted a SD card in the left slot (marked MAP/USB) but for the life of me could not find a way to browse to the card to select the images. The images on the card were saved in both JPG and BMP format.

Gosh.... I feel like a noob

Any help appreciated as allways.

Sjonnie

Quote:
Old 2nd March 2014, 16:48   #7
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
OK, so the unit is in and it sits sort of flush in the dash (give or take 1,5 mm ). I think I'll leave it at that.

Been trying to get some music playing from USB and micro SD cards. No luck through the player.

I have an SD card (16GB MSDOS formatted) filled with MP3's. All which do not exceed 320 Kbps and all equipped with album art incorporated into the file. The player does not recognize the files and says the card is empty What are the specs the files have to have in order to play them? Mind you, the SD card was placed in both the right slot and the left. Did not make any difference.

Next I connected a 16 GB USB stick containing some audio files in MP3 format (max 320 kbps but most were less than that). Again the player told me it had not found any files.

Finally I tried to change the background and start-up logo. Also tried to change the start-up logo of iGo Prime. I inserted a SD card in the left slot (marked MAP/USB) but for the life of me could not find a way to browse to the card to select the images. The images on the card were saved in both JPG and BMP format.

Gosh.... I feel like a noob

Any help appreciated as allways.
Hi Jan,

You need to make a folder called music and store your music in that Sir

If you want to change your primo boot logo try this

http://youtu.be/BDfSfzcWPLo

Last edited by coolcat; 2nd March 2014 at 16:51..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 17:23   #8
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Aren't you the Master of Navall!!?!!

Placed the music files in the music folder and loo and behold... music played with album art (if present).

Going to try the iGo start-up logo change tomorrow. Is changing the background and start-up logo of the unit itself similar?

I am starting to love this unit

Sjonnie

Quote:
Old 2nd March 2014, 17:35   #9
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Aren't you the Master of Navall!!?!!

Placed the music files in the music folder and loo and behold... music played with album art (if present).

Going to try the iGo start-up logo change tomorrow. Is changing the background and start-up logo of the unit itself similar?

I am starting to love this unit
The start up logos for the unit itself are in the settings menu of the unit under boot logo
Old 2nd March 2014, 17:50   #10
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Hi Master of Navall,

Yup! Found the location in the menu. But could not find an option to browse to the SD card. Should I copy the desired start-up logo and background using the file manager analog to the way I change the start-up logo of the iGo software? If so, where should i copy the files to?

Looking forward!

Sjonnie

Quote: