Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th October 2013, 17:06   #1
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

Default Am I being too cynical..Non Rover post...

OK, So it would appear than the body control unit on our Laguna is faulty, these units are coded to the car and cannot be moved from one vehicle to another unless all locks & ecu are done at the same time

So as recommended by the Renault forum I take the offending item to a well known remanufacturer for testing/repair monday last..Anyway pulls up and the place is buzzing and the yard (not a little yard either) is full to the brim of much newer and more expensive cars than an 02 plate Renault. They take the item and my details and ask that I check online for the parts progress. I'm advised by a Renault bod who only used them last month that it's £35 to test £100-£200 to repair depending on fault.

Tues - in que for workshop
Weds - Ditto
Thurs - Ditto
Fri AM - Ditto

Then gets a call from a polite lady at 11am saying it's too badly damaged for repair. I'm not an electronics man but as everything else bar the wipers is working fine I find that hard to believe. But then this happens

'Ah OK that's a shame, How much do I owe you?'
' In this instance (?) Nothing, No charge'.
'Really? ok, i'll come and collect it monday then' (a 130 mile round trip)
'That's ok, we'll box it up and get it back to you, don't worry about coming to collect'.
'OK how much do I owe for postage?'
'Nothing'...

?????

What do the esteemed members think of this? I know what I think but it might just be me...

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 17:21   #2
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

I probably know what you're thinking but I would wait until you get the BCU back, plug it back in & then make sure everything works as before (except the wipers !)

If of course that's not the case, i'd be straight on the phone !!
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 17:28   #3
Grumpy1
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 2.5 2001 Royal Blue Connoissuer Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
I probably know what you're thinking but I would wait until you get the BCU back, plug it back in & then make sure everything works as before (except the wipers !)

Chad.

Oh no! Not DRLs! Yes, I can open the bonnet.
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 17:30   #4
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

...and if everything is as before, simply wire up a bypass for the wipers.
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 17:35   #5
whitevanman
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovema75 View Post
...and if everything is as before, simply wire up a bypass for the wipers.
Yep think short term this will be on the agenda...

Anyone on here a member of this site? www.auto-professionals.co.uk

Only membership is closed and a bod on there has pdf's for download of how to move the chip from your unit to another one but I can't join to get it..

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
Old 7th October 2013, 17:40   #6
whitevanman
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post

I was more thinking that they were so busy with main dealer work they didn't even bother looking at it but yeah the other thought had also crossed my mind..

Old 7th October 2013, 17:44   #7
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

Is the car running well apart from that? Always liked them but never dared, local dealer told me they were tripe and not to bother with them!
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 17:46   #8
Banjo
Posted a thing or two

MG6 Magnette 1.8 Tci SE

I suspect that they just couldn't be bothered to look at it.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 18:25   #9
whitevanman
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovema75 View Post
Is the car running well apart from that? Always liked them but never dared, local dealer told me they were tripe and not to bother with them!
Runs fine, needs bushes on the rear subframe (easy) and a window regulator. It would appear the diesels blow turbos and the particular petrol engine we got should give headaches as it's a 2ltr direct petrol injection (the first I believe). The forum says terribly unreliable, however I thought I could cure my woes by getting a control unit and all the bits from a breakers and have yet to find a set..the breakers seem to be full of diesels..

It would appear the leccy's (really bad location for the fusebox/BCU) and ridiculous prices for some parts are what kills most of them off though.

Not as nice a place to be as a 75 though, but I've always liked the shape of the Sport tourer as they call it..

It has half leather, satnav, leccy everything, panoramic roof, 17" alloys, Xenons, etc. I can afford to spend a few hundred on it and it'd still be a very very cheap car..

Old 7th October 2013, 19:33   #10
Pompey_ant
Loves to post

MG ZT 190+

It doesn't help with your particular problem, but approach your local main dealer about the window regulator.

Renault contribute heavily (76%) towards replacement cost even outside warranty. Up until 3 months ago i worked for them and it'll cost you circa £125.

Good luck with the problem at hand.
Pompey_ant is offline   Reply With Quote