Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th July 2012, 10:49   #1
Teddy
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon 2.5 auto

Default very loud noise by running airco

By auto climate control the airco goes on and off, that looks normal. Everything is working well, and the airco blows very cold air. But when the airco compressor is running it gives a very loud noise, like an airplane is going to start. Inside the car you can hardly hear it but outside people looking very strange and saying, can you put it off, we cant understand eachother. Is this right, do others have the same?
Gerard
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 11:05   #2
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

It's probably the Rad - A/C cooling fan!!

You could always get out and check!!

If it's making THAT much noise you might have lost slow speed and it's running on "high" to keep things cool in which case you need to sort it before more damage is caused!!

Do a search on here as there is loads and loads of info on the cooling fan faults!! - easy to sort once you know the fault!!

HTH??

Andy

P.S Different engines have different sensor setting and trigger points so it helps to know what size/fuel engine you have for most engine related questions!! - most people put their car/engine type in the profile section that appears just under your screen name when you post!! mine says MG ZT-T CDTI as an example!!

Last edited by Trophy Blue Tourer; 17th July 2012 at 11:11..
Trophy Blue Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 11:07   #3
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Cooling fan which should run all the time when A/C is on. The fan is very noisy even on low speed. It is possible your low speed not working and the fan is running High speed? Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 15:39   #4
Teddy
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon 2.5 auto

Right, ignition on, demist button on, fan not running, so it is only running on full speed. Looked through the fanblades and see a silver strip about 10 cm. at 2 o'clock. Supposing that is the resistor? I was thinking that that only was mounted by cars after 2003? But, 2 years ago I had a new engine, maybe the garage also changed the fan. who knows. So, al I have to do is replacing the resistor? And if so, I also need to build out the fan? Because I need to replace the radiator, than I will do that the same time. (radiator allready in the house) And at the same time, changing the thermostathouse :-)
Trophy Blue, when you look at my profile, you see everything about my car.

Last edited by Teddy; 17th July 2012 at 15:42..
Old 18th July 2012, 09:28   #5
Dave Goody
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
Right, ignition on, demist button on, fan not running, so it is only running on full speed. Looked through the fanblades and see a silver strip about 10 cm. at 2 o'clock. Supposing that is the resistor? I was thinking that that only was mounted by cars after 2003? But, 2 years ago I had a new engine, maybe the garage also changed the fan. who knows. So, al I have to do is replacing the resistor? And if so, I also need to build out the fan? Because I need to replace the radiator, than I will do that the same time. (radiator allready in the house) And at the same time, changing the thermostathouse :-)
Yes but when trying to help someone its a pain having to go to their profile to find "What engine"? put it under your name on the left like mine

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Old 18th July 2012, 09:35   #6
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

Thanks Dave!!!
Trophy Blue Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 09:52   #7
Dave Goody
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Blue Tourer View Post

Thanks Dave!!!
Its one of my pet hates! especially with members of many years

Old 18th July 2012, 10:33   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
With it set to demist, the cooling fan should run on constant slow speed. If the resistor has failed, the slow speed will not work/ the fan will not run.

In which case, what happens is the fan will intermitantly run on high speed instead, which is very noisy when it runs.

The OEM resistor is not very robust and is a common point of failure. Jules sells a good quality replacement with a higher rating as a ready to fit repair kit, but you source an equally good quality resistor from other sources - from memory I fitted a 0.47 Ohm 100w unit.

In fitting a replacement resistor, you need to make absolutely sure the wires cannot possibly be caught by the fan blades. One member had the wires caught by the blades which did quite a lot of damage.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 14:37   #9
Teddy
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon 2.5 auto

Trophy Blue, thanks for pointing me, tried many things, hopes it works now.

Dave, please translate in Dutch, so I can understand it

Harry, thanks, just ordered by Jules.
Old 18th July 2012, 17:29   #10
Dave Goody
This is my second home

Quote:
Trophy Blue, thanks for pointing me, tried many things, hopes it works now.

Dave, please translate in Dutch, so I can understand it

Harry, thanks, just ordered by Jules.
Don't need to now. PS I was in Utrecht last wed/thurs and it was raining all day, both days like here.

Strangely the only breakdown I have had in one of my 3 75/ZTs was between Den Bosch and Nijmegen [in tank pump], there was an MG Rover dealer in Arnhem who repaired it under warranty and I got to have a good look around Arnhem [the bridge too far] for 3 days while they got the parts
Dave