Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th April 2012, 09:27   #1
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Default Question for Ibus experts

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I don't like clogging up other threads with my queries.

I have an adapter that displays OBC data on my headunit. Its designed for an E46, which I always thought had the same data as our Kbus. But only 2 of the available functions give a readout i.e. outside temp and coolant temp - see pic below.

While I didn't expect all of the functions to work i.e. I don't think our cars have an oil temp sensor, I did think that the voltage, fuel consumption etc would work.

Any ideas why these functions don't give a readout?

Last edited by CDTi; 24th April 2012 at 09:29..
CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 11:50   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

That seems to be only showing the data which is available on the OBD port, which is as I would expect. None of the other items are available on the OBD port. As I understand it, the OBD socket standard does have a pin designated for K-bus, but so far as I could see - it has nothing connected to it on our cars.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 24th April 2012 at 11:53..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 12:04   #3
CDTi
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
That seems to be only showing the data which is available on the OBD port, which is as I would expect. None of the other items are available on the OBD port. As I understand it, the OBD socket standard does have a pin designated for K-bus, but so far as I could see - it has nothing connected to it on our cars.
Thanks for the reply, Harry.

The adapter for the headunit is indeed connected to the Ibus. I use the same connection for the Reseler interface.

Actually I was thinking of connecting to the OBD socket, but as you say, that information is not available there. Plus I don't know if the Ibus and OBD use the same protocols. Probably not.

Last edited by CDTi; 24th April 2012 at 12:07..
Old 24th April 2012, 13:52   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTi View Post
Thanks for the reply, Harry.

The adapter for the headunit is indeed connected to the Ibus. I use the same connection for the Reseler interface.

Actually I was thinking of connecting to the OBD socket, but as you say, that information is not available there. Plus I don't know if the Ibus and OBD use the same protocols. Probably not.
Sorry, must have misunderstood. So it really should pick all of that data up, which is rather odd.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 24th April 2012, 14:32   #5
wutang
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 auto (LPG) & mg tf 160

I have an adapter I use with the obd socket and I get alsorts of data from that on my V6, RPM, Throttle position, coolant temp ect. is the CDTI different as my understandig was that all the info was circling round the system in a que, I have been toying with the Idea of feeding the OBD data to my wince double din so I could have this data to had (trouble codes ect.) using somthing like the OBD KEY software and a USB input to the DD.

Richard
wutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 15:28   #6
CDTi
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutang View Post
I have an adapter I use with the obd socket and I get alsorts of data from that on my V6, RPM, Throttle position, coolant temp ect. is the CDTI different as my understandig was that all the info was circling round the system in a que, I have been toying with the Idea of feeding the OBD data to my wince double din so I could have this data to had (trouble codes ect.) using somthing like the OBD KEY software and a USB input to the DD.
OBD is different to Ibus, although some of the same information is on both.

Old 24th April 2012, 15:34   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutang View Post
I have been toying with the Idea of feeding the OBD data to my wince double din so I could have this data to had (trouble codes ect.) using somthing like the OBD KEY software and a USB input to the DD.

Richard
If you do manage to get that working, I would be interested please.

Old 24th April 2012, 16:02   #8
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
If you do manage to get that working, I would be interested please.
Same here I had a play at loading obd software onto wince unit. The obd software required .net framework 3.5 to be installed. When I tried installing this, it crashed the system and corrupted the sd card, needing it to be reformatted
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 21:40   #9
CDTi
This is my second home

I had a play with the Reseler Ibus interface this evening and made a discovery.

The only data that the Navcoder program was readily displaying was the outside and coolant temps. There was lots of other stuff going on e.g. the mileage was occasionally displayed when it got a request from another module, but the only 2 parameters that were of interest to me were the 2 that were displayed on my OBC.

Is my car unusual or is the "missing" data just not on the Ibus. Obviously its there somewhere as its displayed in the message centre (fuel consumption, range etc) and the diagnostic mode (voltage).

Is there somewhere on the IPK that I could connect directly for this info?

Old 24th April 2012, 22:16   #10
CDTi
This is my second home

I've just read over this thread again and I'm starting to wonder if my OBC interface is faulty.

As I said in my last post, the only available readings are the 2 temps. It looks like the other parameters must be requested. So maybe my OBC interface isn't sending the requests.