Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th November 2021, 11:23   #11
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

I know that you can't mix cross-ply and radial tyres on the same axle (and if on axles then radials have to be on the rears) not that this applies to our 75/ZTs.

The MOT should rightly flag if you've got different profile or sizes on the same axle, same with rotational tyres fitted to the wrong side. I suppose if they want to go to the letter of the law they could check the speed rating as well. I'm not sure about if you put a car in with a steel full size spare and remainder alloys, if the tyre is the same size, profile etc.

I've always made sure that I've had matching tyres across an axle, it makes sense and you can see why it would be safer - you wouldn't want a 2mm tread on the same axle as a brand new tyre with a completely different pattern - differing levels of grip etc. Probably more so with front wheel drive. I have seen it suggested somewhere that the new tyres should also be fitted to the rear axle (assuming you're only changing a pair) for similar reasons.

On other cars, if I have had a mis-match of tyres I've kept the best of the rest for the spare and fitted a matched pair, the only time this was no help was when the only good one was a rotational tyre so no good for an all round spare.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 11:40   #12
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

Think near enough all of cars have a different brand of tyre on every corner 😂
Old 18th November 2021, 11:45   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post
Regarding an MOT I've had the following.

I've had a fail when I had a 16" spare wheel fitted with 3 other of 17" wheels, I'd just had a puncture and due to the age of vehicle I left it on in case car was beyond repair.

My tourer last month passed with a matching pair of Bridgestones on the front, and the rear had one Uniroyal and one Roadstone which i had fitted when i had a puncture in the matching Uniroyal a while back.
The sizes are the same, not sure of speed rating but treads are certainly different.

My MOT tester is fanatical about tyres tread depth, and nearly every test has some warning about tyres wearing!! Didn't appear worried about tread patterns just condition of the tyres.

Incidentally I'm booked in tomorrow to have the uniroyal replaced with a new matching Roadstone, as it got an advisory for uneven wear due to worn bushes. Also having a full tracking check as I've just replaced the nearside rear suspension arms and bushes.

I am a believer in same tread pattern on an axle for reasons that has been said in the thread by others, handling characteristics. I just thought I'd post what I'd found. It makes it difficult to know what is right.

wife just needs 1 tyre but I did have to hunt round for the tyre. I rang Ford and they offered me something else and like what is on her car or not I do want the same on the axle.

macafee2

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 11:45   #14
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Interesting thread.

I always put two new tyres on the front and the two that were on the front go to the rear. I had a garage once that was trying to save me money and I ended up with one new and the best worn on the front and two best remaining on the back due to a tyre wall issue. I got them to add another new one to the front and put the best remaining two on the rear. I've always felt happier erring on the side of caution with tyres.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 11:51   #15
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

My mk2 metro has a full set of matching tyres to be honest but that is because it has a set of metric rims on. They are getting old but not damaged or cracked ect. They actually hold the road better in the best and bad conditions than modern tyres.
Old 18th November 2021, 12:00   #16
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briodyjl01 View Post
My mk2 metro has a full set of matching tyres to be honest but that is because it has a set of metric rims on. They are getting old but not damaged or cracked ect. They actually hold the road better in the best and bad conditions than modern tyres.
Ahh, the old Michelin TRX metric tyres - don't think anyone else produces these either. Why they were fitted to some Metros I have no idea.

My dad had a Citroen CX GTi for a while and that had metric rims, new tyres were expensive then, and I'm going back 25 odd years.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 12:10   #17
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
Ahh, the old Michelin TRX metric tyres - don't think anyone else produces these either. Why they were fitted to some Metros I have no idea.

My dad had a Citroen CX GTi for a while and that had metric rims, new tyres were expensive then, and I'm going back 25 odd years.
Yeah they are TDXE 160 65 R315. You could only get a few brands. In the quality it was Michelin, Dunlop , courier abs least abs the worst kingpin (remoulds).

Some of the other cars had them too. The Mg metros had normal imperial tyres. The metrics were the original run flats as the side walls are really thick.
Old 18th November 2021, 19:22   #18
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Melvyn.
I am afraid it would have been i will leave it, i bet they would not have let you walk away for the price of a tyre, what was the spare ? same or different.

In this instance, we really would have cut our noses off to spite our faces.
The car purchased at 15 months old and ten thousand miles genuinely was over a grand cheaper than it should have been, as verified by a friend of ours who was one of the valuers and auction purchasers at our local AvailableCar. He couldn't believe how cheap the car was.
Three years later the car has proved to be a fine purchase. Sometimes you can't get everything your own way and have to look at the bigger picture.
Edit. The spare unfortunately is a can of gunge and a compressor, as is often the way these days.

Last edited by tourer; 18th November 2021 at 19:26..
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 21:37   #19
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I prefer the same tyres all round, and aim for it, but am not too worried as long as the tyres are the same on each axle. When I bought the 25 about 4 years ago, it had 4 ‘good’ tyres. However when I had a close look, one of the rear dated to 04 and was a different make. I took it to pro-tyre to get it changed. The fitter did not understand why I was changing that old tyre when the front had less (but legal) tread, he came back to ask if I was sure. Handling was transformed when the old tyre was replaced!
Old 18th November 2021, 23:49   #20
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I generally try to have the same tyres, purchased together, all around. I will never mix tyres on an axle, not even of the same type but with different wear/age. If one needs replacing due to unrepeirable damage, both will always get replaced at the same time. This is just a personal choice.

The same goes for suspension and brake components - both sides get replaced at the same time.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote