Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th November 2021, 12:22   #1
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Default Horn issue

MOT due (first test date as of today!!) and the horn has virtually packed up.
I've a 2004 Contemporary SE with OEM twin tones (MGR by then were wiring the trumpets with a pair of blade connectors rather than the earlier dedicated plug - maybe PPD cost saver) but I lost one tone last year. Had the front bumper off for another job and found one N/S wire had corrode and parted; crimped a new joint and it seemed to work for a while (don't use the horn much) but then went to single tone (not sure if it was the same one again) which became a bit hit and miss but now I've lost both.
The relay in the passenger side fuse box is clicking so it must be something at the front (again). I have a spare pair of horns (with plugs) and the matching O/S wing to slam panel loom. Before I have to remove the front bumper etc. yet again, has anyone suggestions of any other possible fault and, is there an easy way to test my spare set-up works before I commit to the change over.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2021, 13:39   #2
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
MOT due (first test date as of today!!) and the horn has virtually packed up.
I've a 2004 Contemporary SE with OEM twin tones (MGR by then were wiring the trumpets with a pair of blade connectors rather than the earlier dedicated plug - maybe PPD cost saver) but I lost one tone last year. Had the front bumper off for another job and found one N/S wire had corrode and parted; crimped a new joint and it seemed to work for a while (don't use the horn much) but then went to single tone (not sure if it was the same one again) which became a bit hit and miss but now I've lost both.
The relay in the passenger side fuse box is clicking so it must be something at the front (again). I have a spare pair of horns (with plugs) and the matching O/S wing to slam panel loom. Before I have to remove the front bumper etc. yet again, has anyone suggestions of any other possible fault and, is there an easy way to test my spare set-up works before I commit to the change over.
I'm not sure if that sounds like a factory set up as even the single horn from the factory had the proper connectors so may have been a retrofit before you got the car??
I does sounds like the existing connections may have corroded again , so your horns 'may' be ok just need fresh connectors and maybe some wire depending on how badly they have corroded.
To test your new horns could just try some spare wires from a car battery direct to the connections on the horns themselves and that should work ok.
Maxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2021, 14:28   #3
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
I'm not sure if that sounds like a factory set up as even the single horn from the factory had the proper connectors so may have been a retrofit before you got the car??
I does sounds like the existing connections may have corroded again , so your horns 'may' be ok just need fresh connectors and maybe some wire depending on how badly they have corroded.
To test your new horns could just try some spare wires from a car battery direct to the connections on the horns themselves and that should work ok.
Thanks. It's a Contemporary SE HiLine saloon with more or less every bell and whistle so I think twin-tone horns were 'standard' fit - maybe someone could clarify.
The existing link loom looks OEM as do the two Hella horns (although the O/S horn mounting bracket has the little anti-twist feature, the N/S is just a flat plate - my pair of Hella standby horns both have the anti-twist feature). I'll try 12V across the connector pins...
MGR, I also have an identical spec. 2004 Contemporary SE HiLine tourer that left the factory just 4 weeks later than the saloon - it only has a single horn!!
Old 16th November 2021, 18:19   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Spade connectors are an owner add on I’m afraid, I’ve stripped loads of front ends off and never seen any spade connectors from the factory.
Old 17th November 2021, 17:51   #5
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

The original MGR horns have proper connectors on them like this. OEM for the twin horns is Hella, although when changed to a single horn then they seem to be FIAMM but use the same connector. Spade terminal sounds like aftermarket horns have been fitted in the past.

2004 is around the PPD changeover as my ZT only had the single horn being a 04 build, but I added the second horn with the correct loom and they were the Hella with the correct brackets.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2021, 19:25   #6
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

It seems a bit odd that a V6 SE HiLine spec. vehicle wasn't fitted with two-tones as 'standard' if, as is confirmed, any coming out of the factory only had pukka plugs anyway.
Old 17th November 2021, 22:06   #7
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
It seems a bit odd that a V6 SE HiLine spec. vehicle wasn't fitted with two-tones as 'standard' if, as is confirmed, any coming out of the factory only had pukka plugs anyway.
I was a bit late with 2004 being the second horn deletion with project drive, it looks like it was late 2002 and it was the off-side, high tone one that was deleted. They even went to the trouble of producing new polystyrene bumper packing without the recess for the other horn as well.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...76&postcount=1

The proper horns also have different brackets, one has an oval cut out in it I think, and as my pic of my ex-single horn, then it must be the offside one with the cut out bracket.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote