Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th October 2021, 08:35   #11
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I know it would be a huge disruption initially but couldn't they just be left glued to the road?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 08:47   #12
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy72 View Post
Yeah got to love the hypocritical protesters like the animal rights protesters who say no animals should be slaughtered ... Lying on the roads in their leather shoes and leather belts etc. Couldn't make it up.

I would still respect their right to peaceful protest. After all, who am I to judge on hypocrisy whilst owning 5 cars, two of which have large engines and two are diesel, yet I do care a lot about the environment and impacts of pollution on our climate.

At least the topic of insulating homes as a means of reducing energy consumption is one that almost all will agree is actually a fairly basic action on which it is difficult for anyone to raise a challenge.

Anyone read up about Suffragettes and women being allowed to vote?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 09:14   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

You are not a hypocrite Maninder.

You may have five cars but you can drive only one of them at a time. The number of vehicles doesn't make you any different from a one car household.

When you're feeling uncertain about your diesels and the soot output, remind yourself that it wasn't so long ago that the government was promoting their sales as good for the environment and natural resources. Then there are the two stroke appliances permitted by local authorities for use on their own projects. They're the worst polluters of all and they are uncontrolled! Isn't that state hypocrisy?

Regarding insulating homes to reduce energy consumption, I'm sure you'll agree that the most heat loss takes place through the upper floor ceiling and windows. Every householder can reduce these using products which have been available for decades. More to the point is why is there no equivalent to the catalytic converter for use in our gas boiler flues?

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 30th October 2021 at 09:16..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 10:26   #14
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Peaceful protest? I have many things I believe in but I have never ever felt that I should take action which endangers, or even inconveniences others. I dont respect their protest in this manner. Not sure there is a Statutary or Common law "right to protest" or what or how the protest form is.??? Maybe someone knows? Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 10:51   #15
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
Peaceful protest? I have many things I believe in but I have never ever felt that I should take action which endangers, or even inconveniences others. I dont respect their protest in this manner. Not sure there is a Statutary or Common law "right to protest" or what or how the protest form is.??? Maybe someone knows? Chris S.
I was considering this from a personal and moral perspective. In fact it could be argued that given the short-term focus of political leadership across the world, protest by concerned citizens is one of the few mechanisms available to citizens taking a long-term view of the state of our planet.

What is more inconvenient - getting stuck on the M25 for a couple of hours or the possibility, however remote, of your grandchildren (or others' grandchildren) dying through hunger as a result of climate impacts.

Remember that once intolerance of others' actions becomes a question of degree, all intolerance becomes acceptable to a degree.

If you are interested in the legal considerations, here you go.

https://publications.parliament.uk/p...328/132806.htm
Old 30th October 2021, 10:51   #16
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
I know it would be a huge disruption initially but couldn't they just be left glued to the road?
Good idea Dave
Kinda like a biodegradable speed bump..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 10:59   #17
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Regarding insulating homes to reduce energy consumption, I'm sure you'll agree that the most heat loss takes place through the upper floor ceiling and windows. Every householder can reduce these using products which have been available for decades. More to the point is why is there no equivalent to the catalytic converter for use in our gas boiler flues?

Simon

Morning Simon - I agree.

If the Insulate Britain protestors only manage to raise the awareness of this aspect with households who may not otherwise have given consideration to improving the insulation in their homes, the protesters will have performed a public service.

Hence my approach to readily accepting of small inconveniences.
Old 30th October 2021, 11:03   #18
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

The right to protest is a familiar feature of our democracy as is the law concerned with obstruction.

When protests infringe on the legitimate ‘rights’ of others to go about their lawful business, the law takes precedence. In this case the protestors have deliberately put themselves outside the law.

They choose martyrdom over legitimate protest so the protest method is excessive. So give them what they ask for. Off with their heads.

Alternatively, the police might adjust their method of removal of the obstruction in the face of a flat refusal to comply with the law. The only objectors would be the protestors.
Old 30th October 2021, 11:40   #19
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

As the biggest polluters are people is it not time to encourage people to limit the number of their offsprings ?
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 12:57   #20
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post

They choose martyrdom over legitimate protest so the protest method is excessive. So give them what they ask for. Off with their heads.

We've moved on from discussing suffragettes, Wraymond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
As the biggest polluters are people is it not time to encourage people to limit the number of their offsprings ?
That is already being done - it's called work-life imbalance and zero-hour contracts!