Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th October 2021, 08:40   #21
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp61973 View Post
I owned a 1966 VW Beetle around 34 years ago. The sills had been repaired with what can only be called a blend of polyester filler, chicken wire, baked bean tins and carboard from what appeared to be a Kelloggs Cornflakes pack...
What an appalling bodge! I used old oil cans, usually Duckhams, with copious amounts of thick underseal. In my defence, it was the days of a proper chassis.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2021, 08:56   #22
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Not car related.
Many years ago I worked in a telephone exchange. An engineer came to me to say the wires on some tags were the wrong wire and could I help him trace the wire from the other end. The reason for this was at one end was a pink and grey wire and the other end was blue and yellow. We traced the wires to find the pink and grey had been connected to the blue and yellow. When I asked the engineer that carried out the work why, his reply was "I ran out of pink and grey"

If we had not replaced with the correct wire every time the circuit was checked at one end, the end that was blue and yellow people would have traced the wire from the far end. The colours meant something.

I seem to recall my dad telling me that a leather belt had been used instead of a big end shell or bearing but my mind could be playing tricks on me

macafee2
This brings back many memories. Back in the early 70's I installed the old Strowger telephone exchanges. Your post brought back memories of the noise of the selectors and the unmistakeable smell of warm electrics. Also the less pleasant memories of adjusting thousands of sets of wipers. It was also the time of the stopgap crossbar which I worked on and the early electronic (TXE2?) which I didn't have the opportunity to experience.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2021, 10:40   #23
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts
Default Bodge

When I was on the tools many many years ago. We had an A35 come in with a bad knock from the engine, Upon removing the sump we found that the crank had broken. The Bodge was the owner had drilled the webs on the crank and tried to put screws in to hold it together. The worse part was he had used WOOD Screws

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2021, 11:36   #24
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

A dodge rather than a bodge.

Many many years ago when oil was like glue in the winter the father of a friend used to light a small fire under the sump of his engine so the oil was runny enough to spin the engine over.--( By hand and starting handle.----)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2021, 12:48   #25
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

That is still done in russia apparently. Messy if you have an undertray I would imagine lol

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2021, 13:11   #26
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Not my bike but a mate bought a Suzuki GS550. He went to do a job on it and discovered a huge carbuncle on the wiring harness. Unwrapped the tape around it and discovered the majority of the bike had been rewired with ordinary household cable . . . . all of it brown

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2021, 13:31   #27
mbrenn
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloons Conn SE 2.0L V6 (2001) & Conn 2.0L CDTi (2003)

There used to be a great Aussie website “Bush Mechanic”. A real eye opener. More of a survivalist mechanic when stuck hundreds of miles out in the bush.
mbrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2021, 13:52   #28
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
That is still done in russia apparently. Messy if you have an undertray I would imagine lol

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
Not just Russia, used the same method myself when my Saab V4 didn't want to start one cold morning in the Swedish mountains, had the battery inside but it hardly turned the engine over. Our thermometer only went down to minus 30C so could have been colder. Old tin can and meths under the sump for two hours (no undertray) worked wonders but I still had to allow the engine to idle for a good while before the gearbox responded.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2021, 16:53   #29
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

This was one I experienced after purchasing a rover 45 from a local owner, who also worked as a parts sales man and did his own repairs.

I'd bought the car as a backup and had never been underneath it.......

Robson Rover Repair on Instagram - Best bodge
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2021, 17:28   #30
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I bought a 3 litre Capri in the early 80's. It was about 4 years old and appeared in good condition.

After I had owned it for a couple of weeks I decided it was a good idea to give it an oil change. I undid the sump plug and even though I had warmed it up by running it for 10 mins the oil that came out was like treacle. Yes it was 20w50 but still seemed overly thick.

New oil went in together with a new filter, when I started it the oil pressure was noticeably lower and once warmed up dropped off to the point it barely showed on the gauge but the light was out.

A mate told me about some oil thickener that might work and after a couple of cans it was back up to where it was before.

Eventually I decided to strip the engine and found the bearing were all badly worn so after a full rebuild it was in perfect health.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote