Old 7th October 2021, 11:03   #21
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeh View Post
Rule 259
Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should
  • give priority to traffic already on the motorway
  • check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
  • not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
  • stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
  • remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.
And the ambiguous word is "should" I haven written many a procedure to ensure people conform with legislation within my industry, that word is a cop out and weakens an order no end. The word to use is "must" or "shall" or "will".
Should implies that yes you should but you don't have to. Unfortunately the use of such a soft word has enabled people to wriggle out of carrying out actions that in hindsight must be done. Sometimes with serious consequences.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 11:18   #22
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
ya ya I get that but going back to the op, at what point does lane 1 become the slip road. Perhaps no matter how log the slip lane is and I tend to go by the slip lane being where the shorter white lines are i must not be in it if not going off.

So where does the slip lane start? At the 1 mile marker and sign showing lane 1 veers off or where the shorter white lines are?

macafee2
Yeh yeh yeeeeh... ahhhh. Im only trying to help. Its not my fault that ya dont get it even when its inn triplicate.
Old 7th October 2021, 11:55   #23
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

It is "should" because its advisory and its advisory because it is the Highway code none of which is law. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 12:24   #24
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Sorry for been a broken record... But. lane one is for driving inn. Th others are for overtaking. "Lane hogging" carries a #100 fine and 3 points.. Lorry drivers/reps/coach drivers/law abiding cars ect who obay th law in general follow this rule... So why carnt anyone else??
What is the legal definition of lane hogging? Is it what ever the traffic police say it is?, any prosecution statistics available, number of fines etc etc, any evidence this behaviour is dangerous, or is the DoT making these rules up for something to do?.

OK found the answer HC rule 264!. How do the define the 'when the road ahead is clear'!.

Last edited by grivas; 7th October 2021 at 12:28.. Reason: addendum
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 14:19   #25
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
It is "should" because its advisory and its advisory because it is the Highway code none of which is law. Chris.S.
Many of the rules in The Highway Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 7th October 2021 at 14:27..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 16:09   #26
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Yeh yeh yeeeeh... ahhhh. Im only trying to help. Its not my fault that ya dont get it even when its inn triplicate.
sorry mate it seems I dont understand what you are saying about the slip lane.
Lane 1 veers off, at some point the lane markings between lane 1 and 2 change. At 1 mile there is a sign advising where lanes 1,2 and 3 go but the white lines between 1 and 2 stay the same.
What I seem not to have understood from your posts is where lane 1 becomes a slip lane, is it at the 1 mile marker or where the white lines between lane 1 and 2 change.

I get lane 1 is for driving the rest are overtaking but as lane 1 veers off drivers that want to go straight on need to move to lane 2 which may well become the new lane 1.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 20:09   #27
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

[QUOTE=macafee2;2902759]sorry mate it seems I dont understand what you are saying about the slip lane.
Lane 1 veers off, at some point the lane markings between lane 1 and 2 change. At 1 mile there is a sign advising where lanes 1,2 and 3 go but the white lines between 1 and 2 stay the same.
What I seem not to have understood from your posts is where lane 1 becomes a slip lane, is it at the 1 mile marker or where the white lines between lane 1 and 2 change.

I get lane 1 is for driving the rest are overtaking but as lane 1 veers off drivers that want to go straight on need to move to lane 2 which may well become the new lane 1.

macafee2[/QUOTE

Are you talking about one particular Junction, Or in general???? are you talking about slip roads IE coming off or joining a Motorway?? Or where a Motorway diverges as in say the M5 merges with the M42?

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"

Last edited by Number 6; 7th October 2021 at 20:16..
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 21:29   #28
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

[QUOTE=Number 6;2902778]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
sorry mate it seems I dont understand what you are saying about the slip lane.

macafee2[/QUOTE

Are you talking about one particular Junction, Or in general???? are you talking about slip roads IE coming off or joining a Motorway?? Or where a Motorway diverges as in say the M5 merges with the M42?

Currently thinking abut one junction but i guess in general will be the same. The sign is on a motorway. The short white lines that for me denote the start of a slip lane, are on the motorway but the motorway then ends and all lanes end up at a traffic light controlled junction

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 21:35   #29
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

[QUOTE=macafee2;2902786]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post

Currently thinking abut one junction but i guess in general will be the same. The sign is on a motorway. The short white lines that for me denote the start of a slip lane, are on the motorway but the motorway then ends and all lanes end up at a traffic light controlled junction

macafee2
Sorry you have lost me completely which junction where??

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"

Last edited by Number 6; 7th October 2021 at 21:38..
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 23:10   #30
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Here's a pragmatic answer.

Lane 1 only becomes a slip lane or road when it has physically slipped off the main carriageway i.e. after the final countdown marker.

The time to change lanes would be between the first sign and the change of lines between lane 1 and 2.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote