Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th May 2018, 18:51   #41
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRover View Post
Like I say surely you can just ring your breakdown provider??
Hi Billy, I thought the very same thing, but it looks like the RAC already have it covered. HERE... scroll down to the bottom.

''The RAC’s breakdown policy does not cover vehicles shown to be in an unroadworthy condition''.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 18:52   #42
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Hi Billy, I thought the very same thing, but it looks like the RAC already have it covered. HERE... scroll down to the bottom.

''The RAC’s breakdown policy does not cover vehicles shown to be in an unroadworthy condition''.
That's a bit beep isn't it.
Guess were got too be 100% certain with our cars before we go in.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 19:04   #43
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Quote:

Spoilsports
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 19:57   #44
steve1975
Banned

rover 75 saloon

Thank god my pal is an mot tester.....she aint failed in the 3 yrs iv owned her
steve1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 20:09   #45
Mustang
Regular poster

MG ZT V8 260

My local garages tell me it’s illegal to do a pre-mot test nowadays as it’s part of the rules for granting a licence to do MOTs and if cought they could loose their MOT licence. Also as the MOT is based on the opinion of the tester on the day and at the time of the test there is no guarantee the work you have done was either needed or would pass the test. The best I’m told they can do is a free health check which is not quite the same. Anyway it’s only what I’m told now sure till my MOT falls due.
Old 27th May 2018, 20:33   #46
Nev The Bear
This is my second home

Does not matter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 987 Posts

I am hoping Wurzel pases the emissions test on his MOT on 11th June without any problems. As last years MOT the Opacity reading was 1.07 and the previous MOT the reading was 1.48.

I will update on which limit measure is used for the test.

Hopefully Wurzel will not have any advisories or failures picked up as up until now he has a completely advisory and failure free MOT history.
Nev The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 06:56   #47
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
My local garages tell me it’s illegal to do a pre-mot test nowadays as it’s part of the rules for granting a licence to do MOTs and if cought they could loose their MOT licence. Also as the MOT is based on the opinion of the tester on the day and at the time of the test there is no guarantee the work you have done was either needed or would pass the test. The best I’m told they can do is a free health check which is not quite the same. Anyway it’s only what I’m told now sure till my MOT falls due.
Hello Mr Mechanic who's been doing mine and the missus MOTs for as long as I can remember, who i always tip a tenna on top of the price, who i buy my tyres from and who i send my friends to making sure they tell you who sent them ... I'm not entirely sure but i think I might be able to hear a noise coming from my suspension and my engine sounds a bit throaty. I wonder if you could have a quick look underneath for me for half an hours labour or so when you're quiet? Cash of course... Oh and don't forget that nice Italian red in the boot for your better half ...

In all honesty chaps you seem to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater and coming up with all kinds of obstructions to the very easy solutions available to you. If you don't know how to do business with somebody then just get your mate to tow you home after the mot so you can fix it.
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 07:49   #48
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
These council run MOT stations where they do not offer any repairs, I would imagine only use them if one can be 100% sure your vehicle will get a pass. I understand if your vehicle gets recorded as 'Dangerous' on any one component, its a case of paying for a recovery truck to have your car trailered away to get repaired, otherwise its a £2,500 fine if your vehicle is caught/stopped/photographed on the road.

I suppose its the same if you decide to drive your car away from any MOT station after the vehicle has been certified as dangerous, an instant £2,500 fine if stopped or caught on camera. The frightening thing is... this can be something as simple as a failed handbrake the database must be an instant update, it all seems very clever.

I would agree with you there Dallas, it's a big brother job with ANPR and computers we are well and truly shafted..and next time you are in a car park check out the luxury cars with bald tyres.

Last edited by rustymotor; 28th May 2018 at 07:54..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 08:56   #49
Mustang
Regular poster

MG ZT V8 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Yes - the most sensible approach.

I take my car to the garage and give him a written list of everything I want done. The last item on the list is always "address anything else that may otherwise require attention during the next 12-24 months".

Then there is a paragraph which says when all the above is done, please carry out an MOT.

People need to rethink their approach to car roadworthiness - it is about driving a car that is safe for the driver, passengers and most importantly other road users. It is not about passing an MOT.

The MOT is just a mechanism for demonstrating that your car is roadworthy. A car that fails an MOT should never have been driven to the station!
Remember please that MOT are based on opinions and not everybody’s opinion is the same. It’s the grey area that’s the problem and the examiners who wans to cover their backside rather than apply good old common sense. Also an MOT is actually only their opinion on a specific day and specific time and does not mean the car is roadworthy after the test. Tyres can be changed, bulbs can blow, windscreens crack exhausts break etc etc My car was MOTd last month before I bought it. After purchase, I took it to my local garage for a health check and the is a large hole in the rear subframe not easily visible unless on a ramp. My Local garage say it should never have passed an MOT like that. Also the road worthyness of the “grey area” must be influenced by assumed mileage as I’ve been told in the past that tyre tread is just legal but will need changing in about 3 months when I only drive say 2k miles a year in her and the tyres are still good at the next MOT. Like speed cameras MOTs are nessesary but the are also potential profit generators too.
Old 28th May 2018, 09:01   #50
Mustang
Regular poster

MG ZT V8 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRover View Post
Hello Mr Mechanic who's been doing mine and the missus MOTs for as long as I can remember, who i always tip a tenna on top of the price, who i buy my tyres from and who i send my friends to making sure they tell you who sent them ... I'm not entirely sure but i think I might be able to hear a noise coming from my suspension and my engine sounds a bit throaty. I wonder if you could have a quick look underneath for me for half an hours labour or so when you're quiet? Cash of course... Oh and don't forget that nice Italian red in the boot for your better half ...

In all honesty chaps you seem to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater and coming up with all kinds of obstructions to the very easy solutions available to you. If you don't know how to do business with somebody then just get your mate to tow you home after the mot so you can fix it.
That’s the point one should not have to know how to do business in situations like this. Although it works it’s wrong.