Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th May 2018, 20:40   #81
MGR South Devon
Premium Trader

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarDonaldBalls View Post
According to this, the new rules only apply to vehicles fitted with a DPF so what has changed in the rules for vehicles without a DPF such as ours? There's nothing anywhere that I can find in those documents that mention that anything has changed for the emissions test for vehicles without a DPF.
"Are any of the limits related to age/year of registration ? My 75 CDTi is on a 2008 08 plate, yet was built in 2005 - will more stringent limits be applied compared to a 2005 plate car ? " Pete
"According to this, the new rules only apply to vehicles fitted with a DPF so what has changed in the rules for vehicles without a DPF such as ours? There's nothing anywhere that I can find in those documents that mention that anything has changed for the emissions test for vehicles without a DPF. "
Edgar
plus other posters who are unsure as to why limits for older cars without DPF
fitted have changed.
I have photoshopped the section of the official MOT testing manual as used by MOT stations which I hope explains things more.
The section that applies is for vehicles first used before 1st July 2008
There are 2 options for testing
One from level on manufacturer's plate
One for no level on manufacturer's plate,broken down to non turbo and turbo diesels.
Unfortunately I do not know how to add the photo but here is the manual entry word for word
For vehicles first used before 1st July 2008,the limit will be one of the following
  • the level specified on the manufacturer's plate
  • 2.5m(-1)for non turbocharged engine-if not stated on the manufacturer's plate
  • 3.0m(-1)for turbo charged engine-if not stated on the manufacturer's plate
All 75 & ZT diesel engine cars fall into this category as they were manufactured before 1st July 2008
The gov. website and other websites may be misleading in their interpretation, but at the end of the day it is what is written in the MOT manual that counts.
So far this week we have tested two diesel, a 52 plate Rover 75, which failed on initial test at 5.5% We carried out a T4 test which indicated injector diesel leakage. The vehicle was not particularly well maintained.
We removed and cleaned injectors and fitted new injector seals, changed breather filter and fuel filter and retested. Levels went down to an impressive 0.6% The other was also a 75 CDTi 53 plate, on which we had done a full engine service, and this passed no problems first go.
Hope this informatin helps-we will keep everyone updated over the coming weeks.
Old 25th May 2018, 20:47   #82
MGR South Devon
Premium Trader

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by henocsr View Post
So to sum up,

These new MOT emission rules will not effect our cars, or any other MG Rover diesel as none were fitted with a DPF.

So no one needs to worry about removing any part of the emissions label as the new rules are only for cars with DPF
Check out my post tonight, where I have quoted the MOT manual- you will see why our cars are effected by new limits.
Old 25th May 2018, 20:50   #83
MGR South Devon
Premium Trader

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post
I've just checked the door plate and it 1.33 for a 2003 cdt. The 1.5 was the value put on the cert by the testers.

Agree, it won't affect our older cars without dpf unless rules change again.
Government website is misleading, there are new limits for vehicles up to 1st July 2008 which do not have DPF fitted. If the manufacters level is on plate, we have to test to that criteria. If it is not the levels are 2.5 non turbo and 3.00 turbo engine cars
Old 26th May 2018, 20:37   #84
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
So my question is around the EML - i have had an EML on for 3 years - as Trikey will attest, a T4 shows a purge valve error - have swopped the purge valve out 3 times, checked the electrics and changed the petrol cap in case the cap was not airtight.

So under the new test will my car fail next year - luckily she passed the MOT last week.
Unfortunately yes

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 21:44   #85
Nev The Bear
This is my second home

Does not matter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 987 Posts

Just a quick question, if looking at a previous years MOT emission printout is it the average opacity reading that is measured against the vehicles plate figure which I think is 1.33 for a facelift diesel ZTT for the new updated MOT test?
Nev The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 11:18   #86
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

To add some confusion....

My new MOT cert when I got the Tourer last May says 'Limit: 1.50 1/m'

The recent MOT said 'Test limit applied: 3.00 1/m'

And the 'plate' on the car seems to say '1.33'

It was smoking like a dog at the recent MOT - dirty air filter, Synergy set on '10' and an air leak on the EGR valve! It's much better after the fuel filter filled with injector cleaner trick, Synergy removed, good Bosch MAF, clean air filter and the clamp replaced on the EGR!

🙄
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 20:29   #87
Nev The Bear
This is my second home

Does not matter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 987 Posts

I am hoping Wurzel pases the emissions test on his MOT on 11th June without any problems. As last years MOT the Opacity reading was 1.07 and the previous MOT the reading was 1.48.

I will update on which limit measure is used for the test.
Nev The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 20:46   #88
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintee View Post
To add some confusion....

My new MOT cert when I got the Tourer last May says 'Limit: 1.50 1/m'

The recent MOT said 'Test limit applied: 3.00 1/m'

And the 'plate' on the car seems to say '1.33'

It was smoking like a dog at the recent MOT - dirty air filter, Synergy set on '10' and an air leak on the EGR valve! It's much better after the fuel filter filled with injector cleaner trick, Synergy removed, good Bosch MAF, clean air filter and the clamp replaced on the EGR!

🙄
Seems like that particular tester is probably just putting a 3.0 limit on all turbo charged diesels registered before 06/2008, doubt he will be the only one who can’t be bothered to look at the B post emissions limit plate,
Spoke to a couple of testers this weekend who suggested the same, one even said “well what do I do when a customer sticks a sticker over the top of the limit plate, just revert to 3.0, might as well just put that limit in to start with”.

Another tester, who I was talking to late on Friday said well if I fail one of these customers cars on a 1.0 limit, and then they get a marker pen and cover up the emissions limit, drive it round the corner to the next testing station it’s going to be tested for 3.0 anyway, what a stupid idea.

Funny enough both the testers that I was talking to recently, thought it was quite odd anyway as our cars are pretty clean in general, and few fail the plate limit anyway
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 23:32   #89
bonny
Regular poster

ZT-T

Default New MOT rules and EGR valves

Had a look at the MOT changes on the gov website earlier. Don't know if anyone else has posted this but I noticed that under 'New Items' from 20th May testers will be checking EGR valves. Delving further here https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....#section_8.2.2 states to the tester "You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as .... exhaust gas recirculation valves ....." and if a Defect is identified as "Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer missing, obviously modified or obviously defective" the Category is a Major.

So, if I understand this correctly, if a diesel owner has bypassed the EGR valve and the tester identifies it, it's a fail.
bonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 23:39   #90
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonny View Post
Had a look at the MOT changes on the gov website earlier. Don't know if anyone else has posted this but I noticed that under 'New Items' from 20th May testers will be checking EGR valves.

So, if I understand this correctly, if a diesel owner has bypassed the EGR valve and the tester identifies it, it's a fail.
This is true

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote