Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th November 2016, 15:25   #1
Cable Tie
Regional Secretary

Orange grove ztt cdti

Thanked 1,381 Times in 818 Posts
Default Anyone had this

Abs light has come on on my cdti tourer tried a soulus ultra, launch readers but will not connect checked all fuses none blown I'm at a loose end now can anyone suggest what it could be obviously I know it's a sensor but why won't any diagnostics kit link up to it thanks in advance
Old 30th November 2016, 19:05   #2
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

If you're wondering which sensor it is then IIRC if the speedo is working it will be rear one that needs changing.

As to why a Solus Ultra won't shake hands I can only guess that despite it being OBDII compliant it doesn't support Rover Group/MGR

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 20:21   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Offside front for the speedometer signal and nearside front for the cruise control.

You don't need much in the way of diagnostic kit to check out all the common ABS faults - just a multimeter.

Start with a visual check of the cables and plug connections.

If they all look good then, courtesy of French Mike, you can check all the ABS sensors using the voltmeter.

The signal voltage changes from 1.7V to 0.7V as each magnetic segment passes the sensor, so jack each wheel in turn and slowly spin it and look for a sensor voltage that isn't changing as each magnetic segment passes the sensor.

Here is a hub being tested prior to fitting. The long cable was made up from speaker two core with an ABS plug and socket from a scrapper.

It can also allow any ABS sensor to be plugged into the OSF to use the speedometer as a diagnostic, and with the bit of chocblock added saves pinning through the cables when using the voltmeter.

[IMG][/IMG]

If everything checks out then test the wiring for continuity, and if no faults are found check the ABS modulator plug and socket connections for corrosion or damage.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 30th November 2016 at 20:26..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 20:32   #4
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Offside front for the speedometer signal and nearside front for the cruise control.

You don't need much in the way of diagnostic kit to check out all the common ABS faults - just a multimeter.

Start with a visual check of the cables and plug connections.

If they all look good then, courtesy of French Mike, you can check all the ABS sensors using the voltmeter.

The signal voltage changes from 1.7V to 0.7V as each magnetic segment passes the sensor, so jack each wheel in turn and slowly spin it and look for a sensor voltage that isn't changing as each magnetic segment passes the sensor.

Here is a hub being tested prior to fitting. The long cable was made up from speaker two core with an ABS plug and socket from a scrapper.

It can also allow any ABS sensor to be plugged into the OSF to use the speedometer as a diagnostic, and with the bit of chocblock added saves pinning through the cables when using the voltmeter.

[IMG][/IMG]

If everything checks out then test the wiring for continuity, and if no faults are found check the ABS modulator plug and socket connections for corrosion or damage.

Matt,

i knocked this sort of thing up as well before TOAF came out to diagnose previous ABS issues. it works wonders and is covered in the how to threads. I may have a spare ABS connector if you need one.

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 21:08   #5
Cable Tie
Regional Secretary

Orange grove ztt cdti

Thanked 1,381 Times in 818 Posts

Thanks guys I'll investigate more tomorrow it was fine then layed up by neil1 when he owned it due to ill health then when he drove it the abs light came on not electrically minded, stereos etc I'm fine but abs etc it's a no go I struggle as I've never messed but I suppose it's time to learn lol thanks again I'll let you know how I get on
Old 30th November 2016, 22:35   #6
buckyhill
Loves to post

mg ztt and mg rv8 and mgtf

I changed both sensors to no avail, it turned out to be the cable was damaged on the front looked like a stone had severed it.
buckyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 17:22   #7
bigblue

Rover 75 Saloon

Just had all this with mine. Sent the ABS modulater unit off to to ecutesting.com to be checked, as I had recently had the same problem with my Freelander TD4 which turned out to be the modulater, and it came back having been deemed OK. More electrical checks and head-scratching produced no clues, but I took it to another garage with a very clever sparky who pinned it down to a relay problem within the modulator unit. Strange this had not been picked up before, but not unusual apparently. There is supposedly a repair kit for this, but I managed to get a brand new modulator on eBay for £90 (although they are currently only £125 from Rimmer Bros), they replaced and programmed it, and no more annoying warnng lights! They thoroughly checked for wiring damage too, while they were at it, so hopefully there should be no further issues.
bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 21:04   #8
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

04 MG ZT+ 190 XPG & 99 (T) Dealer Launch 75 V6 Connie Auto

Just to add to this thread.

As well as the ABS fault. Primarily, I think Matt is referring to a problem with the OBD port itself. I was at his the other day and only made one successful connection, but only for a very short period. Any connection made to it is intermittent at best.

Upgrades/Mods so far:
Custom Angel Eye DRL's, MG7 Rear lights, Custom Door Cards, MGR Plates, Red Alcantara Seats, Black Oak Dash, Powerflex bushes, Plenum Spy Mod, Rear Light Seals, 5000K HID Kit, Navall 3 DD, Blue LED Conversion, Custom badges, Union badges, Flip key. Working on more!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
daznkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 22:21   #9
jgriffo
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT connoisseur SE Auto

If you have the built in sat nav you can put that in diagnostic mode and get the readings from the 2 rear sensors from that as the sat nav uses the two rear sensors to help maintain its position when there is no sat signal, tunnels and the like.

Gone but not forgotten:-
  • 2002 (02) Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur CDT
  • 1997 Rover 400 (414i)
  • 1996 Rover 200 (216 SLi)
  • 1977 Leyland Cars Mini 1000 (Exported)
jgriffo is offline   Reply With Quote