Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th November 2021, 17:54   #21
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
reading an article about this last week i believe it is being proposed by the I.A.M., or a similar road safety group, and they said a poll of elderly drivers shows a good majority in favour ???
Yeah, a bit like turkey's wanting to be part of the Christmas festivities!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2021, 23:27   #22
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post

Isn't it all about the individual, their skills, attributes, talents, experience etc. etc.

That being the case how is it reasonable to simply say someone of a certain age can or can't do something just because of their age?

And if it's about a "serious condition" what definition is being used of serious? A serious medical condition may have little or no effect upon someone's ability to drive but will kill or severely incapacitate them at some point. That's medically serious. A minor medical condition can have a huge effect upon driving ability. Perhaps something like a migraine or vertigo attack. And surely that should apply to all ages that can potentially drive?

If it's a genuine proposal then I predict an absolute minefield of ifs, buts and maybes.
The conditions listed include dementia and Parkinson's. From the limited information available, it doesn't sound like there is a move to use any serious medical condition, which as you say would be grossly unfair to many as well as legally dubious.

In terms of age-related restrictions, I think it's a fact of life which in other cases attracts little attention because it's generally accepted as appropriate. How many of us would say that 15-16 year olds should be allowed to hold a driver's licence, or vote? How many think 14-15 year olds should be allowed to marry?
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2021, 09:02   #23
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

There are alternative solutions to stopping people driving due to age relation conditions. A middle lane reserved for OAP's on motorways for example.

I would overhault the motorway network with an electrified inside lane for HGV use, middle lane for OAP use and the outside of the four lanes for 60-70 year olds to enjoy before they reach the age of 70.

Personally, I would give the vote to 15-16 year olds but the the weight of the individual vote would taper off after 70.

I really should be in politics - all those difficult decisions the current breed of politicians are too scared to take or implement!
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 16:28   #24
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Old addage of politics, no taxation without Representation(and hence no Representation without taxation)

So if you do not pay tax you should not be able to vote. That way those that do not pay anything would not dictate how the government spends the people's money
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2021, 13:31   #25
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Trouble with that idea - tempting though it sounds - is that lots of people aren't eligible to pay tax. Lots of pensioners, housewives. househusbands, unemployed, low paid etc. would be disenfranchised.

The other problem is, as with this govt, no matter who voted for them you get the feeling that its their donors that pull the strings.

And, going back to the original post, I'm afraid I'd take anything from the Express with a hefty pinch of salt
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2021, 17:01   #26
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueofthedevil View Post
The conditions listed include dementia and Parkinson's. From the limited information available, it doesn't sound like there is a move to use any serious medical condition, which as you say would be grossly unfair to many as well as legally dubious.

In terms of age-related restrictions, I think it's a fact of life which in other cases attracts little attention because it's generally accepted as appropriate. How many of us would say that 15-16 year olds should be allowed to hold a driver's licence, or vote? How many think 14-15 year olds should be allowed to marry?
Are you sure Charlie? Dementia (which can easily progress to Delirium) and Parkinson's are scary in this context. If any illnesses are worthy of inclusion those two are.
Old 30th November 2021, 21:59   #27
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Are you sure Charlie? Dementia (which can easily progress to Delirium) and Parkinson's are scary in this context. If any illnesses are worthy of inclusion those two are.
I'm not sure at all, and I'm sorry if I have been unclear - all I have to go on is the information in the link, which others have already pointed out may be wide of the mark. I was simply trying to point out that it's only specific conditions which will lead to restrictions (but not necessarily a ban), rather than a generic 'anyone with any serious medical condition'. But dementia and Parkinson's are mentioned as examples of conditions which would lead to restrictions.
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote