Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st April 2010, 18:20   #1
DavidNW
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club 1.8, 2001, royal blue, owned by im up norf.

Default Wiper blades question.

Fitted some new wiper blades this afternoon (22"). The end of the driver's side blade seems to clip the rubber windscreen seal at the highest point of its farthest sweep to the right (viewed from the driver's seat, so to speak).

Never conscious of this happening with the old set of blades. The new set are correctly fitted and pushed home fully on their hooks.

No big deal, I suppose, but not as quiet in operating as the old ones, which are the same size. Any solution to the problem?

The passenger side blade is fine! The problem seems odd, considering the new blades are the same size as the old ones! Then again, could just be my imagination.
DavidNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 18:30   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Sometimes caused by incorrect setting on spline.
This can easily be altered to prevent this happening,
just means at present your wipers are most probably set a bit high.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 18:50   #3
DavidNW
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Sometimes caused by incorrect setting on spline.
This can easily be altered to prevent this happening,
just means at present your wipers are most probably set a bit high.
Thanks, John. I'll just remove the wiper arm and move it a couple of splines over. Should do the trick!
Old 1st April 2010, 19:10   #4
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 135 CDTI+ Auto Royal Blue with Synergy 2. 75 Tourer cdti club Se Auto, Royal Blue, synergy 2

SNAP! lol

I had exactly the same problem today, new blades were hitting screen trim at top corner of drivers side.

Took 2 minutes to adjust and move round a couple of splines, all quiet again now.

chrislloydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:13   #5
DavidNW
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislloydie View Post
SNAP! lol

I had exactly the same problem today, new blades were hitting screen trim at top corner of drivers side.

Took 2 minutes to adjust and move round a couple of splines, all quiet again now.
Okay, prised the cap cover off the driver's side wiper blade arm this afternoon, then took the wiper arm retaining bolt off.

Thought I'd be able to lift off the wiper blade arm and see what's needed to make the adjustment. However, the wiper blade arm would not lift off at all.

I think I'm doing something wrong (not knowing what I was supposed to be doing in the first place!). After I had taken the retaining bolt off, there seemed to be what looked like a light metal fitting. Is this the actual spline?
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:29   #6
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 135 CDTI+ Auto Royal Blue with Synergy 2. 75 Tourer cdti club Se Auto, Royal Blue, synergy 2

pop the plastic cap off. undo the nut, then hold the wiper arm and jiggle it upwards and the wiper arm will start to come free along with the little metal bit that also has splines on it. Realign the wiper arm slightly lower than it was and push the little metal bit back into place, this should hold the wiper arm in place. Then screw nut back on tightly. Test the wiper sweep and if happy, push the plastic cap back on.
My wiper took quite a bit of jiggling the first time but then was easier when adjusting to fine tune the fitting so to speak.

Old 2nd April 2010, 15:30   #7
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNW View Post
Okay, prised the cap cover off the driver's side wiper blade arm this afternoon, then took the wiper arm retaining bolt off.

Thought I'd be able to lift off the wiper blade arm and see what's needed to make the adjustment. However, the wiper blade arm would not lift off at all.

I think I'm doing something wrong (not knowing what I was supposed to be doing in the first place!). After I had taken the retaining bolt off, there seemed to be what looked like a light metal fitting. Is this the actual spline?
that little meatl bit needs to come out to enable wiper arm to be adjusted. jiggling the wiper arm towards you will do this.

Old 2nd April 2010, 15:35   #8
DavidNW
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislloydie View Post
pop the plastic cap off. undo the nut, then hold the wiper arm and jiggle it upwards and the wiper arm will start to come free along with the little metal bit that also has splines on it. Realign the wiper arm slightly lower than it was and push the little metal bit back into place, this should hold the wiper arm in place. Then screw nut back on tightly. Test the wiper sweep and if happy, push the plastic cap back on.
My wiper took quite a bit of jiggling the first time but then was easier when adjusting to fine tune the fitting so to speak.
Thanks, Chris. Thought what you have said was the way to do it. It was just when I was pulling at the arm, I was afraid of doing some damage - knowing my luck! Will try the 'jiggling'.
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:43   #9
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

Like I said, first time was fairly stiff. Then after that it was much easier to jiggle it off to readjust. Hope you get it sorted.

Old 2nd April 2010, 18:45   #10
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Yes I found the first time was difficult to do as it was very stiff.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote