Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th March 2010, 20:21   #41
sean75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6

Smile

My car has always had this type of rattle (metallic knocking) , the only difference is that it is only there when first started from cold and when idling,no squealing either.

I've had it looked into numerous times although I suspect it was just looking-all (ex)MGR garages too.

When the belts were done should the tensioner and idler have been changed too or does it depend on their condition at the time?
Incidentally the rattle was there before I had the belts done.

Apart from this transient rattle the car has always run as it should. Looking at the pictures of the disintegrated pulleys has done nothing for my neuroses!!

If anyone has any ideas I'd welcome their input.
sean75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 18:42   #42
redzed1
Regular poster

mg zt 160 2.5

Default cambelts done

I had a full service and timing belts done today at M&G bradford.Very happy all sorted.The tensioner had collapsed and was hanging on by the skin of its teeth.My zt had a lucky escape i think.The idler was replaced as well, as requested ,which was a good job as it makes a grating noise when you spin it.

The guys at M&G are top blokes and have a passion for the rover marque in general.I will be using them from now on to look after my zt.Is good to have my car in good health again and can start to enjoy driving it .Anyone who has a squeel or rattle from that area should not hang about and should get it looked at as soon as poss.Being handed a box of mangled metal and loose ball bearings is not a good thing.

Cant wait for the summer now so i can hit those bends in the lovely yorkshire countryside.After parting with the thick end of £700.00 in the last two days i need a smile back on my face.
redzed1 is offline   Reply With Quote