Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st April 2010, 19:09   #21
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by someboy0 View Post
I've had a look at the past posts and threads on here to try to see if there is a sollution but couldn't find so I thought I could make a new thread.

So, the problem is as follows. With the engine running, if you press the break pedal hard it goes to a certain point and than starts to slowly depress further, apparently that is nothing to worry on its own BUT, the break fluid seems to magically dissapear as well somewhere and I don't know where because I can't see it under the car or on the insides of the wheels, the servo is working fine (I assume from what I've read about what it's suposed to do etc. I'm not a mechanic and have a very small techincal knowledge) so could it be the break master cylinder? Maybe some of the things that the fluid goes through are leaking? Any ideas? I've read somewhere that if it would be leaking into the servo than a smoke would be comming out of the exchaust, and that is not happening. I don't know how long ago the break fluid was changed but my guess would be over 2 years ago but as it's leaking somewhere at the moment I can't see a point in changing it right now cause at the moment we have to just put some more in when we want to drive the car which we don't since we detected the fault, also the breaking performance has decreased.

It is a Rover 75 W reg 2.5 V6

Any kind of reply would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
to find out if the fluid is leaking into the servo:start car, put foot on foot brake and press down hard. rev engine to 1500 revs. white smoke will come from the exhaust if there is any leak.
your post say's that you think the brake fluid has not been changed for 2 years?although this will not help, it should not give the results that you are getting.check, as it has been advised, for leaks from:pipes under body,wheel cylinders,abs distributor(engine bay),floor carpet on drivers side under the pedals, and the interior of the plenum chamber where you top the brake fluid up, underneath.
Old 2nd April 2010, 00:02   #22
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by someboy0 View Post
Phone call today from the garage, the reason why the brake fluid leaked was because of corroded pipes
The most common cause of MOT failure across the range.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:40   #23
tcox1975
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Petrol 2 ltr

All i can say is I had same thing, couldnt find leak!! had to top up so often, in the end I jacked the whole car up and guess what found very small leak on rear pipe joint.

the lesson here is to keep on looking for leak it is around somewhere!!
tcox1975 is offline   Reply With Quote