Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th May 2016, 12:02   #1
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Smile Replacement cogs for traction control actuator.

Over time, the plastic teeth in the traction control actuator are prone to break. The damage occurs where two of the cogs intermesh at the point where rotation is stopped (rather suddenly) by a buffer.
This actuator was inherited from the 5 and 7 series B*M*W - hence plastic.
I have taken measurements of the workings and my son-in-law did the Cad drawings - being a biomedical engineer / electronics engineer he is familiar with this type of work and I believe the drawings to be accurate.

We had planned for the commercial division of a local university to run a production of these cogs in aluminium (their recommended material as titanium was too expensive).
However, they informed us that there is a difficulty in manufacturing these.
My son-in-law doesn't see a problem, but then we do not have access to large commercial 3D printers.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to an alternative manufacturer? Could the company that manufactured gears for the folding door mirrors be a possibility?

We are not aiming to make a profit on this project - just to help fellow 75 KV6 owners (a little) to keep our cars on the road. Our local Rover Car Club has designed many items eg. lower rail suspension enhancements for the P6B and other non-attainable parts.

How many KV6 engined 75 and ZT cars in the U.K. are fitted with the traction control system - believe that not all were fitted with this system. Also, is this (traction control actuator) a problem in the U.K.

I am attaching a photo of part of a page of our drawings to indicate what we are aiming to achieve. In all, there are 17 diagrams / sections in our drawings. This attachment may lack some detail as we had to reduce its pixels - apologies if this detracts from the drawing.

Hope you may be able to give me constructive recommendations.

Kind regards to all,

egremont.

egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 17:01   #2
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I don't know of one car with that installed! (not that that might mean much)
Most have a lonely looking connector under the battery, which I believe was supposed to connect to this.

I am very surprised why the Australian cars would have this fitted!
Old 25th May 2016, 17:09   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

All launch cars have this fitted, mine did indeed break the stop off the gear wheel. A correctly positioned small nut and bolt through the body of the gear wheel sorted the problem until a replacement could be found.

The early type Cruise control actuator from the E39 is the exact same item for those who are looking for a replacement.

One here for example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M18799-BMW...0AAOSwZ8ZW4JOS

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 20:02   #4
Rovering
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 Connoissuer, #2 of 16 exported for NZ market.

I have had 2 of these go on 4 of the 75 models I have owned. Managed to get a secondhand unit from a wrecked 75 and another from a BMW. Both my Tourer's have traction control, so I for one, would be very interested in this project going ahead.
Graeme
2004 BMW 530d

2002 MG ZT 190 manual Anthracite (NZ new) built 18-07-2002
Rovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 22:00   #5
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

When I had the apparent problem with the traction control a few months ago, Dave (Stocktake) pointed me in the right direction.

The picture below is the original in my Connie.

The picture below is the BMW one that I got off fleabay.

As you can see, the main numbers on both modules are the same.

Fifer
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 00:45   #6
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I don't know of one car with that installed! (not that that might mean much)
Most have a lonely looking connector under the battery, which I believe was supposed to connect to this.

I am very surprised why the Australian cars would have this fitted!
Kaiser is right, every Rover 75 Ive seen over here has traction control,even base models.
The cogs all break eventually,the small bit with the rubber stopper on it always goes but if the cog bits are fished out it will continue to work.
If it gets clogged the cable sometimes gets broken as well.
I read some where BMW did once offer a cog replacement kit but no one ever seems to have seen one !!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 05:53   #7
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
Over time, the plastic teeth in the traction control actuator are prone to break. The damage occurs where two of the cogs intermesh at the point where rotation is stopped (rather suddenly) by a buffer.
I have taken measurements of the workings and my son-in-law did the Cad drawings - being a biomedical engineer / electronics engineer he is familiar with this type of work and I believe the drawings to be accurate.

We had planned for the commercial division of a local university to run a production of these cogs in aluminium (their recommended material as titanium was too expensive).
However, they informed us that there is a difficulty in manufacturing these.
My son-in-law doesn't see a problem, but then we do not have access to large commercial 3D printers.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to an alternative manufacturer? Could the company that manufactured gears for the folding door mirrors be a possibility?

We are not aiming to make a profit on this project - just to help fellow 75 KV6 owners (a little) to keep our cars on the road. Our local Rover Car Club has designed many items eg. lower rail suspension enhancements for the P6B and other non-attainable parts.

How many KV6 engined 75 and ZT cars in the U.K. are fitted with the traction control system - believe that not all were fitted with this system. Also, is this (traction control actuator) a problem in the U.K.

I am attaching a photo of part of a page of our drawings to indicate what we are aiming to achieve. In all, there are 17 diagrams / sections in our drawings. This attachment may lack some detail as we had to reduce its pixels - apologies if this detracts from the drawing.

Hope you may be able to give me constructive recommendations.

Kind regards to all,

egremont.

So Nice to see that someone puts their effort on making upgraded parts to keep our cars on the road! For all I know, my car may also suffer this issue sometime in the future.

I do not know the details of this part but I guess it may be possible to simplify the design to make it easier to manufacture? Molded parts do often have geometry that is hard/complex to manufacture by machining, hence why they are mounded and not machined. Since you are changing material from plastic to aluminum, which is stiffer, you may skip the ribs between the center hub and the "rim". I guess that the "tab" sticking out may also be able to be made in a simpler way? It would be interesting to see how this part is fitted inside the actuator which would give me a clearer picture of how an upgraded part would look.

All this is only thoughts from a mechanical design engineer from the other side of the world
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 10:39   #8
Stag>75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
Over time, the plastic teeth in the traction control actuator are prone to break.
Perhaps I'm too simple but I'm wondering if anyone has approached BMW on this to find out if the cogs can be manufactured? I imagine they are in possession of the original drawings and would have details of the original manufacturer.

Or do they just have 1000 complete new units sitting in stock and they just want to sell those?
Stag>75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 15:38   #9
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Looking at that cad drawing, there is only one method you'd be able to use to recreate those gears.
Machining is out of the question, especially in a soft metal such as aluminium. They will be too difficult to Hold therefore very costly to make. You could possibly mill it out of a solid piece of ally but you'd have a lot of waste.
Only way I could see you recreating them exactly is die casting. You could have a mould made from an original but to make it viable you'd have to produce in a large number. I'd be surprised if a die cast company would take on anything less than 1000 units but you could approach the BMW forums too and sell them there as well.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 07:45   #10
Ameph

Rover 75 sedan

Default 3d printed cog

Hi, did you ever resolve this? I have been running a 3d printed cog in my 75 now for about 6000km with no problems. Not sure how long it will last but they only take me 3 hrs to print so I can replace them as needed.
Ameph is offline   Reply With Quote