Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th December 2009, 13:29   #21
TimO
Loves to post

ZT CDTi+ & Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

A bit late but i've been using Uniparts 5w40 fully synthetic for the last three years and have had no problems.
TimO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 11:13   #22
robwijnstok
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5V6 autobox, Rover Streetwise 2.0 DTi, MG ZR160

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAHAM1961 View Post
That's good to know as since i change the oil and filter every six month i did not think the fully synthetic (say castrol edge) was worth the extra- I have been using X-parts own oil semi-synthetic 10-40w but i am going over to Mobil 1 10-40w at my next service...........ps I have been using Wynn's engine flush every oil change, but not sure if thats too much.
Hi Graham,

Are you already on 'Mobile 1'? And if so, is there any difference with that oil? I ask this because I am on X-parts (10W40 semi-synthetic) oil also, but not all to happy with that and therefore searching for a better one.

Rob.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
robwijnstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 18:00   #23
landrover
Regular poster

06 MG ZT-T CDTi

Just been to Halfords and bought 10w 40 semi syn for my ZT-T CDTi on special
offer £22.99 and set of Halfords lifetime Guarantee ScrewDrive set.
Bargain me thinks.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:40   #24
prits_uk2002
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

castrol magnatec 10w 40
prits_uk2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 15:40   #25
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAHAM1961 View Post
That's good to know as since i change the oil and filter every six month i did not think the fully synthetic (say castrol edge) was worth the extra- I have been using X-parts own oil semi-synthetic 10-40w but i am going over to Mobil 1 10-40w at my next service...........ps I have been using Wynn's engine flush every oil change, but not sure if thats too much.
Engine flushing oils are not recommended with an oil cooler fitted. when you drain the oil, the oil in the cooler stays put. This means there is always about 10% of old oil still in car. If you flush this means 10% of oil is flushing oil which you should not run on and will contaminate your new oil unless you fill with oil after flushing and then change again [expensive]
If you change oil regularly do not flush.
I would rather run my car on the cheapest oil which is to spec than 90% Mobil 1 and 10% flushing oil!

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 13:08   #26
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

My KV6 is off for the 'Lates treatment' in 4 weeks so he will anoint it with top stuff most likely 10w40 semi/synth.

However, as I bought the car end of Jan 2010 and it had only covered about 2,500 miles on the red coloured Synth 5w30 oil put in last July by the previous owner!!! I had decided to drain this and put in a pre-flush of proper oil.

This weekend gone, I used Motorquip 10w40 semi/synth A3:B3. @ £20 for 6 litres.
Engine seems much happier and quieter on cold idle, which used to pesent a slight top end rattle before on the 5w30 oil.

This seems to be to best, if slightly more expensive way to flush most of the old oil out of your engine.
Just leave the filter in until the main change. Incidentaly, you can pick up 10w40 s/s oil for as little as 13 quid a gallon so its not to bad really. Just do a pre-change 3-4 weeks before the main one!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 13:15   #27
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

15W 40 Semi Synth by Unipart.
The M47 engine is quieter I find with above grade.

It gets slightly more noise with 10/40 and noisier again with Fully Synth like Mobil 1 IMO

Sorry just read OP again !!
Above is applicable to diesels obviously.

Agree with Stocktake's choice the the V6

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block

Last edited by Jules; 31st March 2010 at 13:18..
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 15:24   #28
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
My KV6 is off for the 'Lates treatment' in 4 weeks so he will anoint it with top stuff most likely 10w40 semi/synth.

However, as I bought the car end of Jan 2010 and it had only covered about 2,500 miles on the red coloured Synth 5w30 oil put in last July by the previous owner!!! I had decided to drain this and put in a pre-flush of proper oil.

This weekend gone, I used Motorquip 10w40 semi/synth A3:B3. @ £20 for 6 litres.
Engine seems much happier and quieter on cold idle, which used to pesent a slight top end rattle before on the 5w30 oil.

This seems to be to best, if slightly more expensive way to flush most of the old oil out of your engine.
Just leave the filter in until the main change. Incidentaly, you can pick up 10w40 s/s oil for as little as 13 quid a gallon so its not to bad really. Just do a pre-change 3-4 weeks before the main one!
An even better method is to use a diesel engine oil for flushing. These have higher levels of detergent and will clean up a petrol engine better. You can run on this for a 100 miles then change to your oil of choice. Keep away from oils sold as flushing oils.

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:17   #29
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

When I bought my car I had some el cheapo oil in the shed. I used that as a flushing oil as I wasn't sure the last time a service had been done.

I ran on that for 500 miles (1 week) and then changed the oil and filter again.

Ever since then my oil changes have been ever 7k or so and it comes out like it goes in. It's not even changed colour that much.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote