Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd November 2015, 09:41   #1
hairymike

rover 75 tourer

Default Rover 75cdti estate 2004 F1 underbonnet fuse blowing

As I live in France with no Rover garage within 100 miles I would really apreciate any diagnostic help that anyone can give. About 6 months ago, engine management light came on and car came to grinding halt. Eventually found no:1 fuse in engine fuse box blown (15A). replaced, engine started, everything ok. except had to keep replacing fuse every week for 3 months or so until new fuses blew straight away when ignition key was turned to pre-heat position. I did find that if I disconnected under bonnet fuel pump, fuse did not blow, but engine did not start. I then made the wrong assumption that it was a fuel pump problem, and changed both fuel pumps. Engine started and ran for a few days then fuse blew again and again etc. With the fuse out, pumps hum away to themselves quietly but the minute I replace the fuse, it blows. I have come to the conclusion that that the fuse blows only when fuel pump is working (but not fuel pump) so something in fuel system which is covered by this fuse. If you have any clues, I would be very grateful as I have to drive around in my 20 year old Panda with a collapsed seat. THANKS IN ANTICIPATION
hairymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:46   #2
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Check the wiring under the fuse panel, it has been known for the cable insulation to rub away on the bodywork and cause a short circuit.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:57   #3
hairymike

rover 75 tourer

Thanks for response. I have not as yet checked the wiring under fuse box but will do tomorrow. I must admit, that wiring loom looks as if it might keep the QE2 illuminated. It seams to me the problem lies with a combination of fuel pump and no: 1 fuse, each is ok if the other is not connected or plugged in, the moment the two are on at the same time and ignition on, then the fun begins. Back to the Panda !!!!!!!!!!
Old 3rd November 2015, 14:02   #4
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairymike View Post
. It seams to me the problem lies with a combination of fuel pump and no: 1 fuse,
The fuel pumps have a relay and fuses from the passenger fuse panel, so I doubt if they, or their wiring are the problem.

A known problem is the Glow Plug ECU or its connector getting wet, which is fed from fuse 1.

Last edited by raykay; 3rd November 2015 at 14:11..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:27   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Make sure the glow plug relay output wire has it's plastic insulating cover on the securing nut

I have seen a few ECM modules where this has been missing and a scorch mark where the live output has come into contact with the ECM casing

You can also have a look HERE as you will find attached to this post the engine management wiring diagrams

Hope this helps

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 14:22   #6
hairymike

rover 75 tourer

Thanks Brian for the wiring diagrams. I systematicaly disconnected all the electrical connections, kept blowing fuses, went into the plenum chamber and had the ecu out together with the pre-heat relay, they looked fine, ie. no scorch marks or burnt offerings, put everything back with the same results. I then started again, just in case I missed something, and when I disconnected the EGR solenoid the engine started first kick. Yesterday it started and ran well, with the EGR disconnected, I tried again this afternoon and the fuse blew on start-up again !!!!!!!!!!!! Back to square 1 and the Fiat Panda.
Any other ideas would be gratefully recieved thanks again. Mike
Old 5th July 2020, 10:42   #7
b4mky

rover 75

Default F1 15 amp Fuses blowing

Did you ever sort it, I have the same problem ?
b4mky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 13:55   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4mky View Post
Did you ever sort it, I have the same problem ?
Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer. The guy has not been on the forum for FIVE years.---

PS. I see you have only made 6 posts yourself in 13 years.

Car must have been very reliable up to now.--Lol.

Last edited by COLVERT; 5th July 2020 at 13:57..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote