Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st March 2007, 19:38   #31
Andyb123
Loves to post

Rover 75 2L CDT Conn Se HiLine SATNAV

What is it with the digital world, weve got digital radio, digital TV, digital microwaves and on and on the list gets bigger every day. The plan is also to shut off the analogue signal at some point futher pushing the unwilling into the world of digital TV etc.

I have Sky and if digital is so good why does it break up so easey, if we get the slightest bit of bad weather, the picture breaks up into millions of small blocks and in some cases stops completely. With the old and I repeat OLD analogue signal, my picture is perfect regardless of weather conditions, so can they claim digital is better?.

Can any one explain ?.

Cheers,

Andy
Andyb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 20:17   #32
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

That fault is Generally caused by one of 3 things.
1....Dish Size Not Large Enough for Location (45cm does not fit all!)
2....Dish Not Aligned properly (We have had some very stiff winds recently in North Wales, and the number I see badly aligned is unreal)
3....LNB either on way out or a very cheap one with not much Gain!

And to push it even further even the Decoder can sometimes be at fault. If your system is under 1 year old Get Sky out to check it. There is no reason if you have clear line of sight not to get a Decent Clear Sky Picture on your TV. in that area.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 20:24   #33
JohnDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
JDC - I hope you've researched Sky Broadband?

I was going to change to Sky when I was having issues with BY (as it was).

But, after reading many horror stories about their ADSL, decided to stay where I am.

This might come in handy:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...-help-support/
Thanks Tatts, After the poor NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- service I have had from Virgin Media off more than on with a speed of only 548kbs you must be joking, this road has had 7 disconnects from Virgin this last two weeks due to poor connection but when transferred to Tiscasli or BT all works fine with fast increase in speed 2MB to 4MB, very strange I know Tiscali have own equipment in exchange but all use same lines. Bad thing is I put most of the Systems in and Recommended Virgin who at the Time seemed OK.
Tiscali is generally seen as the Best Bet around here but I will give Sky a 30 Day Trial as offered and see what they are like, have already received the transfer details needed from Virgin, first time they have ever responded quickly, could be all the complaints locally!
Will let you know how I get on but with the Great price for everything can't really loose out.
Old 1st March 2007, 20:43   #34
Andyb123
Loves to post

Rover 75 2L CDT Conn Se HiLine SATNAV

Hi John,

Thanks for that, we do have a clear line of site, as we are the end house and the line of site looks to pass right between the two houses on the opposite sie of the road and are a good distance from the side of our house.

The system is many years old and we are thinking of upgrading to Sky+, the only thing that puts me off is that they appear to charge £10 for the recording facillity. You don pay a monthly fee when you buy a DVD or video recorder so why or how can Sky justify charging for the facillity built into the Sky + box.

Ta.
Andyb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 20:49   #35
JohnDotCom

They only charge that Fee if you have the Basic Package, If you have Sports or the Film package as an addition its free. They switch on the Facility even though you have the Dual LNB which should as you say let you record. I had originally a 4 output LNB which meant I could put boxes in the other Rooms ready for the Switch off next year here, going back to Sky tomorrow so when they have finished wil reinstall that.
All these charges are Just another Money making scheme much like the extra for HD.
Old 4th March 2007, 04:29   #36
bad-head-day
Loves to post

Citroen C4 Loeb

I'm a member of a couple of techie sites where there is a higher than average interest in cable tv/broadband on account of its (how you say..) stealability, and the majority of members are happy to see someone stand up to sky & see what happens. Sky wanted Virgin to pay 3p/customer/day more (which if I remember correctly is £38M pa) and remove sky 1 etc. from their basic lineup, so all customers would have to pay more to see sky 1 etc.

I personally pay for virgin/ntl services & am thinking of taking their 2 for 1 deal for mobile & broadband. I have been on their broadband for 4y3months & after the 1st two months of them being useless I have had an excellent solid service. Sky will never be able to achieve the bandwidth of fibre, and people seem to forget they need to factor in a BT line when they make their service comparisons.
bad-head-day is offline   Reply With Quote