Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th October 2020, 11:23   #11
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

...and that's an MOT pass!

Everything was spot on mechanically, and the brakes were great...even with a strong and well-balanced handbrake result!

Couple of advisory points - rear arms / suspension components are getting crusty. Looks like the time is here to clean the back end up and get some rustproofing / coating work done. Maybe I'll fit that new rear anti-roll bar and links I bought ages back...and then perhaps fit the rear backplates I got from Mat while I'm in there. Do I just get some rear arms on order and do a whole load of jobs I wonder?

Anyhooo...happy days!

Jonty

Last edited by drjonts; 29th October 2020 at 11:48..
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2024, 13:28   #12
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Old thread I know, but I have a question if anyone is looking?

I note the problems mentioned - o/s/f sensors (no speedo), n/s/f sensor (cruise control), associated abs faults, etc, but one thing puzzles me, the fuel gauge fault. What are the symptoms here? I run on lpg so rarely use petrol except when starting, I've never noticed a gauge problem.
At the present time, I've just gone through the (intermittent) abs light (and with it the red brake fault light), and speedo not working. Used to come ok with restarting the engine, now it seems to be a solid fault. I checked the o/s/f sensor blue plug, which fell apart as I tried to separate it; a squirt of switch cleaner on the pins did cure it but it since failed again. I've cut the plug off and soldered the connections so that is now eliminated. Wheel bearing seems clean and solid, so I'm leaning towards the abs modulator/connector.
I had this on a previous car; as mentioned above, trying to clean it broke some pins, so a s/h replacement was done similar to the above post. This was years ago and f've forgotten the " how-to" of it!. What is the best access to the connector? How does it come apart? I have memories of plastic clips etc which might break (happens in lots of connectors around the car).
I should have spares available in the shed off previous cars I've stripped so hopefully I can do it ok, but can anyone provide a "how-to"?
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2024, 05:38   #13
bearhouse
Regular poster

Rover 75

Hi Johnty,

What a fantastic job. I tried to separate the two parts of the ABS pump while still connected to the brake pipes but as hard as I tried and couldn't get to all six torq screws. I could get to the three on the left and the top right but not the other two. I managed to cut and bruise both hands and arms and finally had to give up!

Tomorrow, I'm having someone replace my pump and bleed the brakes. Like you, my ABS light and handbrake light are constantly on. I had corrosion in the connector and when I tried to clean a couple of pins broke off as they were rotten. When I get the pump out, I'll open to see if anything like yours inside.

I would be grateful if someone could tell me how to add photos to a post and I can't seem to see how to do it.

Fingers crossed all works as the MOT's due!

Regards,

Terry.
bearhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2024, 13:11   #14
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Good news and not so good news.
Started the car this morning, everything ok again, but the fault came back after a short while. Same thing happened on the return journey.
Having doubled checked that i wired the sensor on the o/s/f (removing the blue connector), I'm down to the ABS modulator area. Hopefully the connector, but a bit of a pain to access.
I found my spare off one of the old cars in the shed this morning, which enabled me to see how the connector comes off, and also remove the electrics side of the modulator. So thats the good news.
Bad news (maybe). As I removed the electrics, one of the coils remained on its armature and that pulled the wiring out. So I'm not starting the job until I get a spare base (just in case).
The connector, it was one I replaced years ago (along with the electrics base if I remember correctly). I crimped the wires onto the car loom about 6" along the loom, a little tedious but very do-able.
Now, does anyone have a spare electrical abs base or complete unit going spare please?
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote