Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st November 2009, 15:42   #1
Adam.M

None at the moment

Default A 75 for a first car?

I've absolutely fallen in love with the 75's, thats the most beautiful dash i've EVER seen! such a great second hand bargain.

And oddly, the insurance on it is about the same as the quotes I had a few months ago for a Ford KA... but i'm 6"3' and barely fit in the KA.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy a Rover 75 (1.8 Club SE or a 2.0 Diesel) for my first car? I'm wanting a car to last at least 3-5 years... though I could see myself keeping one for a long, long time.

I'm 24, 25 in April so that'll bring the insurance down a bit!

Such a wonderfully designed car! I wish they hadn't gone bust! It has everything i've ever dreamed of having in a car.

I'm seeing them at rather high mileage but £900-£1,100... avoid or not? they look clean!
Adam.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 15:48   #2
McMasters
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V6 2.5 Celeste LHD

NO, no reason at all go for it, its a way of life. :-)
Shop around, lots of good pre owned cars that have been really looked after.
Lots of support. Just look at the members here. 2.0 if possible.
There is something a nice car does, it encourages one to look after it.
Have fun.
Old 1st November 2009, 15:54   #3
Adam.M

None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMasters View Post
There is something a nice car does, it encourages one to look after it.
Exactly my way of thinking! If i had a crappy faceless euro eco box i'd just let it go to hell. And suprise suprise, most of them on autotrader look like they've been to hell and back...

Bare minimum im getting myself a 25 (i'm not quite the fan of the 45) they look like a good alternative if needs be.

I love the 75 in your signature, thats exactly the look im going for.
Adam.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 15:58   #4
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts
Thumbs up

If I was you have a good read of the threads and then make your mind up,if you look at a 1.8 petrol make sure the head gaskets been done,or are OK.my self I would go for a diesel but then I am biased.They might even be better on insurance. good luck in finding your dream car

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 16:02   #5
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.M View Post
Exactly my way of thinking! If i had a crappy faceless euro eco box i'd just let it go to hell. And suprise suprise, most of them on autotrader look like they've been to hell and back...

Bare minimum im getting myself a 25 (i'm not quite the fan of the 45) they look like a good alternative if needs be.

I love the 75 in your signature, thats exactly the look im going for.
Why a 75 and not a Zt

Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 16:03   #6
Chriskoi
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Go for it,but be prepaired for old man jokes from mates
Chriskoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 16:11   #7
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I'm going to regret this i know, What you need is a member that is local to you that doesn't mind giving up a little time to look at some with you.

The 75/ZT is like other cars, it needs maintenance and servicing if you intend to keep it. If you want to buy a car and ignore tell tale signs that indicate something needs to be attended to then walk away from the 75/ZT.

There are weak points like any other car but if you look for them when you go to purchase, most things can be avoided or budgeted for.

The 75/ZT is in my opinion one of the best kept secrets of the motor industry, so much car for the money, don't expect to run it for Ford Ka money though.

Now if after that you are still interested as I said, all you need is somebody who lives close to you just off Easterly Road say

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 16:29   #8
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
I'm going to regret this i know, What you need is a member that is local to you that doesn't mind giving up a little time to look at some with you.

The 75/ZT is like other cars, it needs maintenance and servicing if you intend to keep it. If you want to buy a car and ignore tell tale signs that indicate something needs to be attended to then walk away from the 75/ZT.

There are weak points like any other car but if you look for them when you go to purchase, most things can be avoided or budgeted for.

The 75/ZT is in my opinion one of the best kept secrets of the motor industry, so much car for the money, don't expect to run it for Ford Ka money though.

Now if after that you are still interested as I said, all you need is somebody who lives close to you just off Easterly Road say
just commited yourself there dave,but with your knowledge he will be in safe hands.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 16:36   #9
whyte850
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 Connoisser SE 2.0 L V6 Auto and 1950 Rover P4 75 Cyclops

Hi Adam I am only 20 and bought my 75 a year ago its been very reliable apart from a burst hose to the radiator. Mine`s costs £560 a year for comprehensive insurance. I run the 1.8 petrol model which gets about 34mpg, to fill up it will cost £55-£60. Tax will be £190 a year.

On the whole I would recomend the Rover 75, its a very underated car. You have to keep in mind the maintenance and servicing garage costs if your not mechanically minded. The 75 is a real pleasure to drive and own, dont bother about the "old man" insults, I got it at first from friends but they are now converts as well

On a personal note I would go for the 1.8 litre petrol turbo engine its the best compromise between performence, economy and running costs. My Dad has the BMW 2.0 litre diesel unit in his and to be honest its not what its cracked up to be. If you do take the 1.8 litre engine, even bargaining for the ghastly HGF issue its still the better option in my opinion.

And now I better get my passport ready to leave the country as the diesel squad will be on to me.

Ross

2019 Seat Mii Design

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6

2006 Renault Twingo MK1 LHD

1971 Fiat 850 Sport Coupe (Restoration project)
whyte850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 16:38   #10
Steve Powell
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Having owned several over the years, I can only recommend them. As long as you are careful with what you buy and treat them well, the R75 will serve you well in years to come.

Happy car hunting
Steve Powell is offline   Reply With Quote