Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd August 2016, 13:18   #11
my75is beautiful
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

As a starting point on my leather suite at home, I use baby wipes (they're very cheap) and then move on to the more expensive products once the worst of the grime is off (I was a smoker).
very best regards
Else

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
my75is beautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 16:40   #12
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

My W reg Cowley car has sandstone leather that is as good as new and seems to be sealed, it is non absorbent and leather cleaner just sits on it and does not appear to be absorbed at all. Whilst on the subject is their any point in using wax on my white gold metalic paint as that has obviously been laquered and inpenatratable to wax.
Westonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 19:36   #13
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonboy View Post
My W reg Cowley car has sandstone leather that is as good as new and seems to be sealed, it is non absorbent and leather cleaner just sits on it and does not appear to be absorbed at all. Whilst on the subject is their any point in using wax on my white gold metalic paint as that has obviously been laquered and inpenatratable to wax.
All modern leather is sealed, using balms and feeds is counter productive on modern leather as it sits on top of the leather and attracts dirt. Sealants and dye blocks are more appropriate now so that the leather has another layer of protection.

Waxing the car is different, that provides a liquid repelling barrier to protect the paint from the elements and make washing easier.
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 19:38   #14
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

Using steam is a good way to clean leather, following it with a towel to absorb any moisture left over. Then follow up with a leather cleaner applied with an interior brush, a soft nail brush will be similar to an interior brush, again always follow with a clean towel to wipe away the loosened dirt
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 21:58   #15
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I've posted this reply on the subject before so just to reiterate

For several years I've come across dirty and extremely dirty leather seats including leathers suites in the home.

After trying out many of the magic leather cleaners I bit the bullet and used a normal domestic spray cleaner, the one with added bleach, you know the one !

The secret is to wet the seat first then apply the spray onto a wet cloth and clean off the dirt and grime then a further clean off with warm soapy water.

When I refurbished my SD1 Vitesse I changed the original velour seating for leather. The seats I got from a scrappy were absolutely filthy and I actually pressure washed them with soapy water but they were still filthy.

With the seats well and truly soaking I used raw bleach on a cloth and they came up nice and clean. There were the obvious wear marks and cracks in the leather but I painted them with the proper leather paint and they were like new seats.

Over the years I have on several occasions cleaned our two leather suites in the home using the above method with no adverse effect. Some folks step back in horror when I tell them this. I've even used cellulose thinners applied on a wet cloth to remove stubborn stains. I got this tip from one of our car cleaners back in the days when I worked with a main Austin Rover dealer.

BTW I still use Gliptone cream to put some feeding back into the leather and return the lovely smell even though I cannot smell it as I lost my sense of smell a few years back.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 22:15   #16
Ozjensen
Regular poster

Rover 75 V8 Saloon #755 now sold

Very interesting thread this - and I have found warm water, soap or a leather cleaner, and a soft nail brush very effective.

While I am working in London now, Australia is where I am from, and the sunlight and heat there is not good for car leather. What I have found most effective to soften and preserve leather is Neatsfoot Oil. Clean/vacuum the seats, apply the oil liberally with your hands (and you will have soft hands afterwards), and let it soak in overnight or longer if possible, and then buff off with a cloth. The drivers seat often needs several applications.

You can get Neatsfoot Oil from horsey type shops or eBay for about $10 per litre which will last two or three complete feeds - I feed the leather in my cars annually.

One word of caution - I have never owned a car with very light coloured leather so while the oil is near colourless it may darken the leather a little.
Ozjensen is offline   Reply With Quote