Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st July 2015, 17:23   #1
nickmac
Banned

rover75 tourer

Default plenum flooded car won't start hell... updated...

hi,
so after a lovely week at the seaside and all the rain we had today was a lovely sunny day. went down the beach and came back to the car it wouldn't start. then it did but felt like it was starved of fuel. got a little further on and stopped to investigate.
anyway i noticed some water dripping from underneath and my heart sank. i took the covers off to find it flooded, ive lifted the ecu up and cleared the hole and drained it.
now where i stopped would you believe it the bloke came out of his house to have a look. went back and put a code reader on the car he said there was a code appearing but thought the ecu was ok and the immobaliser was stopping it starting. he locked and unlocked the car to reset it and sure enough it started.
now i got the car back to where we are staying and it won't start. it turns over ok and there is nothing amiss on the dash.
anyone got any ideas that i'm missing or should i be getting in early with the rac in the morning?
thanks for any advice given..
nickmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 17:33   #2
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Hi

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I am sure one of the guru's will be along to advise properly.

But, if it was me (and you have the tools / time to do this) I would isolate the battery then take the ECU out and unplug it so you can see what damage/crud there is.

I would hope once drained of crud/water a "get you home" might be to dose contacts and electrics in WD40 or similar to dispel moisture left.

Best of luck

Andrew

edit : MB's on the case. Cavalry incoming!!!
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 17:34   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmac View Post
hi,
so after a lovely week at the seaside and all the rain we had today was a lovely sunny day. went down the beach and came back to the car it wouldn't start. then it did but felt like it was starved of fuel. got a little further on and stopped to investigate.
anyway i noticed some water dripping from underneath and my heart sank. i took the covers off to find it flooded, ive lifted the ecu up and cleared the hole and drained it.
now where i stopped would you believe it the bloke came out of his house to have a look. went back and put a code reader on the car he said there was a code appearing but thought the ecu was ok and the immobaliser was stopping it starting. he locked and unlocked the car to reset it and sure enough it started.
now i got the car back to where we are staying and it won't start. it turns over ok and there is nothing amiss on the dash.
anyone got any ideas that i'm missing or should i be getting in early with the rac in the morning?
thanks for any advice given..
The code he pulled was P1260 which he would have determined as an "theft detected" immobiliser issue.

It is in fact pre delivery fuel pressure too low for starting, because the fuel pump drive circuitry in the ECM is failing.

Whereabouts are you with the car at the minute ?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 17:44   #4
nickmac
Banned

rover75 tourer

chapel st leonards nr skegness..last day today gotta be out by 10am tommorow....
Old 31st July 2015, 17:52   #5
nickmac
Banned

rover75 tourer

the fuel pump failing is exactly what it felt like..
Old 31st July 2015, 19:14   #6
nickmac
Banned

rover75 tourer

this is the latest..car started and moved nearer the window..so now the hairdryer is on...
a waiting game. ive started drinking to ease my pain which may make it worse later. i swear if it comes through i'm gonna give a t cut...
fingers crossed XX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 025.jpg (127.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 31st July 2015, 19:23   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Best of luck Nick, remember to PM me a contact number

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 20:16   #8
nickmac
Banned

rover75 tourer

Default plenum flood update..

thankyou to marina brian, first things first and the bloke who lives next door to the spar in chapel st leonards..
after the plenum flooding with all the rain this last week things were stressful but we drained the water and had a hair dryer on the ecu overnight..
the car started and got us home and starts and stops as it should, i am one very lucky boy and as i promised the car is now gonna get a t cut..
if anyone needs a reason to check your plenum i'll tell you all about it any time you like..believe me i thought the worst....
Old 1st August 2015, 20:26   #9
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmac View Post
thankyou to marina brian, first things first and the bloke who lives next door to the spar in chapel st leonards..
after the plenum flooding with all the rain this last week things were stressful but we drained the water and had a hair dryer on the ecu overnight..
the car started and got us home and starts and stops as it should, i am one very lucky boy and as i promised the car is now gonna get a t cut..
if anyone needs a reason to check your plenum i'll tell you all about it any time you like..believe me i thought the worst....
Couldn't agree more!
Just over 2 years ago I spent £238 with the ECU Doctor because I failed to check it.
Why?
Because it was raining heavily and I'd have been wet

Do it now!!!
RayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 21:26   #10
nickmac
Banned

rover75 tourer

i'm working on easy way of sorting this..it should be simple enough....