Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th October 2019, 17:25   #1
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Default Laptop screen replacement

About three months ago, one of the dogs managed to knock my laptop on the floor. It still worked, but there was a crack bottom right, which I soon got used to.

About a month ago, Gill was vacuuming, it was charging, the vacuum caught the cable and... once more on the floor! Again, still worked, but this time there was a crack going from bottom left, up to the middle, and then down to meet the original one. The "segments" it left all appeared to have a slightly different colour/contrast so time for a new one, which I ordered

After a few days plucking up the nerve to swap it, I gave it a go. First attempt failed as the connector must have come loose on refitting. Second go, I taped the connector up, and other then cutting my finger on a sharp piece of plastic, all went well!

However, I soon noticed an odd area top left, which was possibly a dead pixel, although didn't appear black (it was blue, so maybe a stuck pixel) and had a halo effect around it. The supplier offered some money back or exchange, and I opted for the former, but before the deal was sorted, the whole screen went odd, with striped all over it rendering it unusable. A refit didn't sort this, so I asked for an exchange and put the original, broken, screen back on

Screen #2 arrived quickly and was fitted. Initially all appeared fine, but I soon noticed that the brightness was very low, even when cranked up to 100% (from the 60% or so that it was initially on). When emailing the supplier about this I also notice a wavy line about 2" in from the right, all the way from top to bottom, which wasn't coloured but distorted text. So this screen went back too, for a refund

I then (yesterday) ordered a screen from a different supplier. I've just put it on and although there's no dead pixels or distorted wavy lines, this one is also very dull - perhaps not as dull as screen #2, but still very taxing on the eyes. Also there's a thin strip top left, extending horizontally around 4" across the very edge of the screen, starting around 1mm deep and thinning to nothing. There's a physical edge all the way across the top, which you can feel with a fingernail (not present on the old screen) and a small chip top left, although this is not visible with the screen on

So, does anyone know if this is the best I'm going to get? If I reject this one too, will another one likely also have problems? Is there any way to improve the brightness or do I just have to live with it? I really don't want another laptop (can't afford one currently and I don't want the pain of swapping all my data and programs over)

Any advice appreciated! The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C70D-B-10U btw
Old 11th October 2019, 17:35   #2
Nige B
This is my second home

honda civic

Default ...................

I replaced mine (damaged somehow ??) with a screen from a second hand laptop of the same make / model .No problems at all and I get all the other parts which may go faulty in time, as well..

Nige B
Nige B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2019, 17:44   #3
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige B View Post
I replaced mine (damaged somehow ??) with a screen from a second hand laptop of the same make / model .No problems at all and I get all the other parts which may go faulty in time, as well..
Sounds like a good plan!

My first two screens were £57. The latest was £63

Just today, a spares or repair identical model has appeared on eBay for £20! Having said that, it looks terrible! There's one that looks good for £130 - I'd have probably been better off with getting that and swapping my HDD into it...
Old 11th October 2019, 21:36   #4
M17TT
Banned

MG ZT

Most laptop screens will fit as long as its the same size, doesnt have to be the same manufacturer. There are only 3 or 4 screen makers with most brands using either samsung or LG.
M17TT is offline   Reply With Quote