Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th March 2019, 03:41   #311
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool It’s a small world.....................

........................................... well, especially in Cornwall.

Gradually it is sinking in that I have at last done something about buying a home. My first, never done anything like this before in my whole life. Ys, I’m excited, and the excitement is growing every minute. Going back to not being able to sleep, (writing this out at 3am), making plans of “what to buy?”.
Cannot wait to move in.

Have taken Allen and Val to view, only from the outside at the moment. Found an extra parking space opposite the garage so Redfive or the Bear might have somewhere to park off road. I’m basically the last house in the road on the left hand side. There are some houses further down but I think they are on another road.
Allen’s going to make me a garden gate and help me to put up a new garden fence.
At least he’ll not have any decorating to do, just hang all my pictures, and there’s about 40 of them.

Anyway to back to the title. Yesterday I attended the Cornwall MG Owners Club meet at Lands End, this was in conjunction with the Chichester MG Club. They have 12 cars down on a long weekend, 2 cars had to drop out, ( the Jowett Javelin broke down and the MG SVR was unable to make it).
Anyway one of the Chichester members came over and asked who owned the ‘stunning Firefrost ZT? I raised my hand and the chap said, “Wish you had brought the Yellow One Mr Banana man”. I explained that she was still being fitted with her new coat of paint.

Andy then asked me what part of Essex I came from as he had detected my accent. This has been said numerous times, never thought I had a accent. I replied that I had lived in Barkingside all my life up till June last year. Then moved to Saltash.
Turned out that he had lived in Ilford and then moved to Basildon before moving down to Chichester. He then said he had served his apprenticeship at Ilford Films, Kodak films biggest rival at one point, in Ilford.
They used to have a massive factory complex that basically stretched from Ilford to Barking.

As the 35mm film industry moved on so the factory got smaller and smaller before it moved to Basildon. Ilford films are still going but I believe they are made abroad, probably a subsidiary of another company now.
But Andy and I had a good old chat about Ilford and Barkingside, lots of memories from the distance passed. Turned out he is a couple of years younger than me but the memories are still there.
Small world really is it not. The receptionist at the doctors lived about 200yards from me in Barkingside, then there is one of the mechanics at my local garage who was born in Cranbrook Road Barkingside. One of my neighbours was born in Hainault, that was the next place along from Barkingside.

Andy asked me if I had been back, yes I was there in January. Did I think it had changed? Yes, I suppose it had.
But I have no yearning to return anymore, I know I should go back but my heart is now in Cornwall.
Even when I was property hunting over on the dark side I still wanted to live over the Tamar in the pasty capital of the world.

Oh! Best have a shower and get ready for the trip up to Yeovilton with the Bear. Meeting Allen n Val in Leafy. Then we are meeting some of the others at the Route 5 Diner at Haldon Hill before progressing up to the National.

Many thanks for reading and the comments.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2019, 12:27   #312
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Getting so excited...................

................................... yes even at my age I’m so excited.

I cannot get over the amount of people that came up to me yesterday, at the National Meet, to congratulate me on buying this house. Amazed by the response. And on Saturday as well at the Lands End meet with the Cornish MG Owners. To be congratulated by people I hardly know is amazing.

Anyway not sure what happens next, I decided to go and ask at the estate agents. Spoke to Sam at the agents who said I need to give the surveyors and solicitors time to get there act together. They will be in touch in the next few days. So helpful, I know they are waiting on their commission, and have put my mind at ease.

So the packing starts again, although this time I’ll not box up everything like I did when I moved down from Essex. I moved down with 65 plastic boxes, each had a capacity of 60 litres. Anyway I don’t have half the boxes now. Some have gone up to Matt’s for storing car parts. Allen has had some to store stuff. A few went back to London for my niece to use when she moved.

Just had a phone call from the other estate agents, about the offers I put in about the bungalow that was turned down. Told them that I had put an offer in, and accepted, on another property. The lady said “Congratulations”, and did I need any help ew surveyors or solicitors. Well, they need the work and money.

Thanks for reading and the words of encouragement. Means a lot.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
Old 26th March 2019, 15:10   #313
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool I thought there was reams of paper......................

......................................... when I sold the flat, but oh! my! Look at the paperwork for buying the house.

I downloaded 8 pages from the surveyors and 20 odd pages from the solicitors.
The surveyors questions were straight forward. Did I want the basic or the all in survey, only £400 difference. I went for the all in as the house is not that old.
Sent all the paperwork off plus the cheque yesterday. Just got a phone call from them to thank me for the prompt return of the papers plus cheque.
They are hoping to carry out the survey this Thursday. I then get the report in 5 working days.

As for the solicitors paperwork. Wow! The questions. But having filled out numerous forms when I sold I was pretty confident that I could answer the questions.
Was doing really well till I hit the question, “was I a first time buyer?” So I phoned this morning to ask if I was. Nope as I had owned the flat, just had to print that form off again and answer the question correctly. And another cheque written out.
I’m going into Plymouth to their offices tomorrow, by bus hopefully I’ll get on the right one. They need to see me with my I.D.

I can then go onto the bank and get the money all into one place so that when the time comes I can transfer it all over in one go.
I’ve started the re-packing. Got most of the model collection packed, but only the stuff that is upstairs. Going to sell some of the cars off. Got far too many. Will put my ZT collection on here first. Then later on in a few months time I’ll rent a stall at a toy fair and sell the bulk there.
Be keeping my Rolls-Royce and Bentley collection along with my 2 huge Lamborghini’s.

Will sell the 1/12th scale Jaguars XJ220’s, including the rare Grampian Police car with it’s certificate, plus there is also a XJ220 in kit form. Only been out the box to have a look. Never got round to painting and building it. I still have my late brothers Fokker Tri-plane kit. He wanted me to build it for him. Alas circumstances ruled otherwise.
Will probably sell the book collection as well, not as extensive as my brother-in-laws. He has over 4,000 books.

Got some paintings to sell as well. Might take everything to a local auction house, Allen knows a good one.
Oh! Well! Tea break over. Back to work packing. Best get the bulk of it done now, saves the hassle later on.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 26th March 2019, 20:46   #314
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
..........................and I still have the T shirt you gave me along with the “Flying Banana on Tour” shirt.
I should hope so too
Old 1st April 2019, 09:39   #315
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Having read the surveyors report....................

.............................................. A 2nd visit is required. So with Allen, Val, estate agent we are back round to the house today. No serious concerns but there are a few areas that need re-checking. Plus the need to measure up for curtains and so forth.

Done a bit of packing back at the house. So far got 12 boxes packed, and that is from stuff in the two bedrooms. Not even started properly downstairs. Got some of the models packed away.
We have 2 offers of people with vans, one a forum member, to assist on the day we move. Along with 3 ZTT's we should be able to shift everything ok. If possible I'll move some of the smaller stuff prior to the actual day.

As the weather has been warm and sunny I have managed to get the mower out and give the lawn a trim.
Talking about trimming, Debbie has given me a trim as well. Now sporting my summer cut, No.1 all over my bonce. Oh my how chilly it was around the nape.
But it's made me more streamlined now enabling me to move quicker.
Still waiting on news about Banana, hope to hear this week. I've not bothered to go and have a look.

So all in all everything is still running ok. Got to wait on the solicitors report now, should not be long, hopefully. Especially seeing as the surveyors report was supposed to take 5 days before I received their report, only took 2 days before it was emailed through. 16 pages including photo's.

Many thanks for the comments and reading.

onen hag oll
Old 1st April 2019, 15:40   #316
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Bonus....................

.............................. found out that the greenhouse on the end of the garage block is mine. Odd looking but blends into the shape of the garages. A couple of the gable ends will need replacing which Allen said he could do but the estate agent, Jeanette, said that I should forward the surveyors report to her and she would forward it onto the vendor and she would then ask him to either put right or knock a few bob off so that I could get them repaired.

Turns out the seller is building a new rear garden gate to replace the old one, no gate fitted at the moment. Also there is a panel missing in the lounge which he will also replace.
Turns out my front garden is bigger than I first thought, and it’s split level. I thought the lower level belonged next door turns out it’s mine.

The area in front of the garage is council owned but there is parking spaces but i’ll Need to confirm with my solicitor if I can park there as well. Not bothered if not as I can park one car out in the street. Highly unlikely that I’ll be able to get Redfive into the garage as the angle in is rather steep. Anyway garage belongs to Banana. The house seller is going to clear out all the units in there. He has been using it as workroom.

I’ll need a couple of extra steps put in in the garden as stepping off of the decking is quite high.
Will need a banister fitted on the wall up the stairs, another job for Allen.
As the seller is a master craftsmen for Princesss Yachts it shows inside. All available space has been used in one way or another. Stacks of cupboard space. Luxury deep piled carpet fitted upstairs.
Whilst downstairs the flooring is wide laminated found on upmarket Yachts.

Ceiling lights downstairs in the lounge, dining area and kitchen are all sunk into the ceiling.
Amazing built in bookcase under the stairs, again the space used up.

So now just waiting on the solicitors report and a moving in day. Unusual for me but getting very excited.

Both Allen and Val have said how lovely the house is. The views over towards Trematon Castle are amazing. I can see a fair bit of photo’s being taken, especially the sunsets.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 3rd April 2019, 16:04   #317
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool House insurance.........

............................ just had a house and contents quote on the New home.
And it’s a lot cheaper than on the flat I owned back in Essex. And the excess is at a better rate.

Not taken out yet as there is no point, it needs to be done on completion of contract. Or 4 weeks before if I had a mortgage.
Getting so excited about the move into my own home, was excited about moving to Saltash but now even more excited. Chafing at the bit so to speak.

And Banana is about to go into the paint shop as well.
I love it when a plan comes together.

And another offer from a forum member to help on the day of the move. My mate who lives up in Kent also wants to come down and help. I said it was a bit far to come but he said he has loads of leave owed so no problem. Not only that he wants to have a beer or Many with me.

Well, happy.

Many thanks for the kind messages. Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 5th April 2019, 08:15   #318
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Just had the other estate agent.......................

................................................ on the phone, the one representing the bungalow that is For Sale next to where Allen & Val live.
It appears that the agents have now met with the owner, he has been on holiday in Florida, and he is happy to take my final offer on the property.

I politely replied that he was too late, as I have agreed to purchase another property which is £25k cheaper. The estate agent said that my offer, on the bungalow, had been the only one that had even got near to the mark.
She then asked me where the property, that I was hoping to buy, was. When I told her it appears that we will be neighbours, she only lives a few doors away.

Makes you wonder what the other offers were on the bungalow. Allen did say that a few people had been to view. Hope he sells the place ok.
But I’m happy with my decision.

onen hag oll
Old 8th April 2019, 15:19   #319
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Had to stop packing............................

.............................................. otherwise I'll end up packing stuff I need, then it will be hunt the box. I have labelled the boxes up but not with a list of the contents. There are about 12 boxes up in the back bedroom, plus the Jaguar model boxes. And under the stairs there are a further 5 boxes plus a small fold up table, 2 fold up chairs and a box of V8 parts along with a full set of brake disc's.

Got a email from my solicitors this morning informing me that they have received the draft contract from the sellers solicitors. Now my lot can start the search, think that's what it is called.

Been out looking at extra furniture to buy. My stuff will look lost in the New house. The seller has a tree root coffee table which he wants £150 for but they are For Sale in Trago Mills for £130 plus, would like one to go with my Coffee Wood chair. But we'll wait and see. What I would like is one of those V8 block coffee tables, with the glass tops. Will have to chat Mike Stafford up and see if he has any broken V8 engines around.

Glad that the garage are taking there time restoring Banana, been 34 days she has been away. Only seen her once. But keeping up with the photo report on there website. (Check out my other thread for details).

Chafing at the bit to move. But at least I've gone back to sleeping OK. Which is a good thing. Now the warmer weather is here I'm able to get out more. Took a trip up to Collaford Lake this morning. Man made reservoir between Liskeard and Launceston. Be great in the summer for a picnic. Followed the road past the dam and after about 5 miles you come out opposite the famous "Jamica Inn". So that is a definite trip out for our RS to plan.

Followed the route back home via Callington, some lovely views to be seen. In the distance you can see the chimney on top of Kitt hill. Cannot get lost if you keep that in sight. Redfive is my daily and she copes well with the narrow lanes and steep hills. I would take the Bear but go go juice stations are few and far out in the sticks. I'll not be taking Banana down these tight lanes.

Might be a mini tour coming up soon. Only be back as far as London. Funny thing is I have no yearning to back, but I must go and see my brother in law and my niece. Plus I would like to go to the cemetery and visit Val. I do have 2 cousins in East London, last time I saw them I was with my brother, and that was in 2016. They have not bothered to keep in touch so I don't see why I have to put myself out to visit them. I'll send them, along with others, my new address.

Many thanks for reading, and the pm's. Nice to know that I have some great friends. All made with the aid of a certain Yellow car.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 8th April 2019 at 15:44.. Reason: Spellin'
Old 8th April 2019, 16:38   #320
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Be great in the summer for a picnic. Followed the road past the dam and after about 5 miles you come out opposite the famous "Jamica Inn".

I first went there in the 1960's long before it became so 'touristy'. It was a cold misty day and the place appeared just the same as in the original Jamaica Inn film.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote