Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th August 2016, 11:47   #1
Stormbringer
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Xenon lights, their fitting and the legalities thereof

Folks
Bit of a long story here, the lights on my ZT are cloudy and a session with a lens repair kit had no effect so I decided to replace them. A friend came up with a set from another ZT that were "clear". In fact they turned out to be a set of xenon's. Now as far as I am aware they are a direct swap.
Just to be on the safe side I had a word with my insurance company to be told that if I fitted them my insurance would be invalidated. Another insurance company has said that they need to be "auto dimming"? And then said it's my responsibility to make sure they'd pass the mot ( that's fair enough).

As a result of this I'm somewhat confused. Can anyone please shed any light? And please no comments of "I wouldn't have said anything" or similar.

Pete
New boot lid with spoiler fitted
Plenum Guard fitted
To do
Reversing sensors.
Xenon headlights
Twin horns.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 12:11   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

It's a question that's been asked many times. I'm sure if you use the Google search option you'll find the threads. Bottom line seems to be you'll be OK without self levelling. The MOT regulations are pretty explicit about stuff that's fitted or not fitted. Of course MOT and road legalities may not be the same thing.

Here's a starter:https://cse.google.co.uk/cse?hl=en&c...g%20HIDs%20MOT

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 10th August 2016 at 12:14..
T-Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 12:14   #3
Stormbringer
Avid contributor

MG ZT

For some reason my phone won't let me search the forums.

Pete
New boot lid with spoiler fitted
Plenum Guard fitted
To do
Reversing sensors.
Xenon headlights
Twin horns.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 12:17   #4
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
It's a question that's been asked many times. I'm sure if you use the Google search option you'll find the threads. Bottom line seems to be you'll be OK without self levelling. The MOT regulations are pretty explicit about stuff that's fitted or not fitted. Of course MOT and road legalities may not be the same thing.

TC
I know you said that you didnt want any "i wouldnt have said anything comments"
But coming from someone who used to not declare anything to someone who now declares all his mods etc.
I can safely say you will not have any issues with using Xenons, The insurance really dont need to know any of this information... They just like to make money and telling them you have fitted xenons is one of those money making exploits as it will now be classed as a modifcation even though its just a factory item.

If you want to do it properly get the xenon auto levelers and use the light module from a xenon car (has no manual level control)

Or like most who fit these just get them and level them accordingly, if you have some friends in the back drop the beam down manually like you would any other lights.
Auto levelers are just to keep the Xenons from blinding folk because people always forget to level there lights.
It isnt active all the time it periodically checks the position of both sensors and adjusts the lights.

Just fit them, line them up correctly and leave them be.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 12:18   #5
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

the mot regs state "check ANY self level and wash systems present for correct operation"

it does not state that they have to be there in the first place...

I personally have put 4 hid upgraded cars through multiple mot's in varying stations with no issue at all... Not even a passing comment...
Old 10th August 2016, 12:24   #6
Monty Hotspur
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

It sounds to me they might be confusing your modification with fitting a HID kit into halogen light units, which the DoT regard (or used to anyway) as not legal.

The only bit of info I found came from the DoT in 2010, which states:

"1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. - who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam."

The info is taken from this DoT document

Point 2 does appear to contradict T-Cut's comment above, so it might need clarification one way or the other.
Monty Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 12:25   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
If you want to do it properly get the xenon auto levelers and use the light module from a xenon car (has no manual level control)
Indeed. Plus the jet washing system. This will require a twin pump washer reservoir, plus a T4 session to make it all work. Basically, the MOT says if these controls are present, they should be working correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Hotspur View Post
Point 2 does appear to contradict T-Cut's comment above, so it might need clarification one way or the other.
I don't think it does. Read my comment again.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 11th August 2016 at 12:35..
T-Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 13:10   #8
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Indeed. Plus the jet washing system. This will require a twin pump washer reservoir, plus a T4 session to make it all work. Basically, the MOT says if these controls are present, they should be working correctly.

TC
I have retroffited Xenons with a retroftitted washer system... but i have no auto leveling of any kind and my car has been through 3 MOT's from 2 different garages with no issues.

Insurance will automatically give issue with HID kits as these are illegal, they wont get you into trouble from the law and insurance dont need to know.

I have even fitted HID's into projector style lenses i.e on my old Skyline R32 or on my previous ZT with projectors... again no issues from mr plod or the MOT center's

Last edited by TomRS; 10th August 2016 at 13:19..
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 13:45   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Early xenons don't have any markings on them so no one would know, I have fitted a few sets and mr mot man has been none the wiser about wash kit or self levelling.
Old 10th August 2016, 13:53   #10
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Had mine fitted for 3-4 years now and no issues at MOT time.After installing them I took the car to Halfords who charged £12 to line them up properly.
Yes Halfords are not so bad..... most of the time
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote