Notices

Closed Thread

Old 22nd June 2016, 15:19   #801
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
I'm pretty sure I've avoided posting in this thread up to now - however I thought this piece by Ben Goldacre was worth contributing.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
I don't have a lot of time for Ben Goldacre, he is a Guardian journalist and the author of "Bad Science". He suffers from the Guardian columnist’s usual vice of being overly puritanical.

He combines superciliousness with an overt sense of his own moral superiority.

And this is seen clearly in this bit from Twitter posted above.

Apparently he is "Cross" that everything is being blamed on "Foreigners"

Really? - I thought we were blaming the EU Red Tape and bureaucracy. And I am sure someone mentioned the Euro? _ and 50% youth unemployment in the Eurozone? Perhaps I was mistaken?

1 Did anyone mention a smaller Democracy? - I thought we wanted MORE democracy? Does that make it smaller?

2 As for immigration - I thought the Brexit campaign was clear - we want a points system where we can select the best people rather than the unqualified who simply cause employers to keep wages down to the lowest possible. Uncontrolled migration is a recipe for a rush to the bottom.

3 And the strain on the UK infrastructure is "Our Fault" apparently we should build more and not complain.

4 The EU is a good shot at preserving peace. Yes that is true to an extent - but I would say NATO probably has the edge on actually keeping the peace. After all remember the debacle of the EU in the Balkans!

That went well didn't it.......

In 2002 the Dutch Government resigned after the truth finally came out over the EU debacle in 1995, when Dutch troops failed to prevent the killing of up to 7,000 Muslims by the Bosnian Serb Army.

The mess was only sorted when NATO stepped in.

5 Apparently - according to this Guardian writer Goldacre - Brexit language is aimed at "losers".

Telling someone about "Control" and "Optimism" - is the language used by losers...... Shame he does not read his own Paper then....

6 He actually write stuff like this:-

"Right now, people talk about Eastern Europeans like they’re biologically destined to be parasites"

Now I know I have never said that or even thought anything remotely similar to this snide, inaccurate and vile assumption - and I am damn certain that I have not seen or heard anything like it elsewhere either.

This is a representation of what Goldacre would like to have heard - and I suspect he may even hear it inside his own head.

7 The Economy will be "hurt" if we vote Out says Goldacre! . And he then goes on to infer that people who want to Leave are 'Idiots that break things'

Hmmmm...... I wonder if he has tried this tack on the 1100 or so workers that used to have jobs making Transit Vans in Southampton?

You know!!!

The Factory that was closed after the EU lent Ford (an American Company) £80Million to close the Southampton Factory and set up another one in Turkey.

If he hasn't as yet - I would pay good money for a seat to watch the show.

Last edited by Darcydog; 22nd June 2016 at 15:23..
Old 22nd June 2016, 15:28   #802
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It's happening! The serried ranks are within earshot and resorting to chucking carrots 'cause they've run out of rhubarb! Time to break out the English longbows but please, none of those funny salutes!
Old 22nd June 2016, 15:35   #803
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
It's happening! The serried ranks are within earshot and resorting to chucking carrots 'cause they've run out of rhubarb! Time to break out the English longbows but please, none of those funny salutes!
That is the problem with standing so close together in mutual admiration society. Reality is the first casualty.

Now where do you suggest I actually put the Rhubarb?
Old 22nd June 2016, 16:11   #804
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

I'll refrain from a suggestion that might include custard. For those committed Europhiles (and they ought to be) that's le Sauce Anglais.

Edit: with hindsight, perhaps a Crumble. Cos that's what's appenin

Last edited by wraymond; 22nd June 2016 at 16:14..
Old 22nd June 2016, 16:32   #805
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I'll refrain from a suggestion that might include custard.
Spoilsport...................
Old 22nd June 2016, 21:46   #806
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

A certain gentleman once said;

''We have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked but not combined. We are interested and associated but not absorbed.''

I'm not saying he would vote to leave if he was alive today, however, this sums up my feelings to the EU.
I have no problem with the common market, but I do with the political, legal, judicial & economic integration that has been foisted on us. The sooner we are out the better. I accept that things may get difficult, but I believe we will be better off in the long run.

I never thought I'd be celebrating Independence Day, after tomorrow maybe I will!

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Old 22nd June 2016, 23:25   #807
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
6 He actually write stuff like this:-

"Right now, people talk about Eastern Europeans like they’re biologically destined to be parasites"

Now I know I have never said that or even thought anything remotely similar to this snide, inaccurate and vile assumption - and I am damn certain that I have not seen or heard anything like it elsewhere either.
Actually, l'm more concerned with the jobs which are taken than the benefits, which l don't think is common at all.
Wages have been suppressed by the surfeit of workers. I don't believe the stories that the British are too indolent to take the jobs or that they would be unfilled without immigration, not for a minute. It was commented tonight on the radio that almost two thousand home-grown nurses were turned down by the NHS in favour of imported workers to save on the cost of training. British workers need to be invested in, not bypassed.

Old 23rd June 2016, 00:03   #808
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Ben Goldacre:
"Right now, people talk about Eastern Europeans like they’re biologically destined to be parasites,..."

No, they don't. I've never heard that anywhere, ever. That's his poisoned mind trying to debase the morality of the immigrant argument so as to negate the subject. It's an attempt similar to the last Labour government's attempts to contaminate immigrant debate by calling everybody racists if they tried to open the debate into a new and effective discussion. It's typical hyperbole leading to unfounded hypothesis.

That one sentence of his destroys his position immediately and you wonder how this man ever got where he is. The problem is he is unchallengeable other than by his peers and that won't happen. I would investigate his contacts in Eastern Europe for evidence of funding sources but he's not important enough to bother.
Old 23rd June 2016, 00:57   #809
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Why are these "independent" surveys so different from the published one?
http://1rh7.mj.am/link/1rh7/yy002h1/...0xNDY2NDQ1MzU4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That 'poll' reflects (more or less/give or take a %point or two) our very own Club IN or OUT poll.
The Guardian on-line also carried out a readers poll along the simple lines of our poll and….it again came up with almost the same numbers. Must be something in it.
Anyway in just 24 hours time we shall be seeing some early indications of the real thing - no more guessing, if's or but's.
The smart money might be on anyone hoarding good quality autos because we could begin to see a shortage of the usual euro box stuff when the punishment tariffs come in - anyone suggest a good brand to look out for
Old 23rd June 2016, 07:01   #810
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Well, today is the day we have all been waiting for. I will finish my cuppa then down to the polling station to vote OUT

Steve
Closed Thread