Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th April 2016, 07:44   #1
Trans-am

Rover 75

Question Hazard warning lights will not stop. -scrap car!

Hi Guys.

Quick question.
My hazard warnings will not stop. (yes i have searched the forum and nothing seems to match what i have)

Diagnosis so far.
I removed the fuse to depressurize the fuel system and the hazard warning lights came on. I just assumed it was the car telling me the fuel pressure was gone. When i put the fuse back they will not turn off. I have removed EVERY fuse in the passenger fuse box, still flashes! I have cut the wires to the LSM from the hazard switch and they still flash. Only if i remove under bonnet FL 9 and FL11 (both 50 amp) does it stop. These two isolate the LSM. So i removed the LSM its self and it stops.
Every system on the car works fine, all the lights, horn, it drives, its NOT failed over to emergency LSM (by illuminating the head and tail lights). It locks, unlock everything works, its just the hazards flash.

This tells me that the LSM makes the hazards flash, BUT and this is the crucial thing i do not know if there is a fault or if another of the cars systems is sending the signal to the LSM to make it flash!

Background
I have a 1999/2000 (W) Rover 75 1.8. It is one owner and has covered 40,000 miles with full service history. My mate is a scrappy and he got it, he was going to scrap it but i saved it from the crusher. Its had pretty much every Rover issue. I used the articles on this forum to replace the inlet green gasket, then the carpets flooded and i had to take the entire interior out, then the head gaket popped at 40,000. I have just done the head gasket, timing belt and water pump.
I am now faced with an electrical fault...

I am desperate not to scrap a 1 owner car with 40,000 miles, FSH, new timing belt, water pump, MLS gasket and new bolts. But i have to draw the line somewhere.
Trans-am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 09:44   #2
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Sounds like you might have activated the fuel cut off switch.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 11:02   #3
Trans-am

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
Sounds like you might have activated the fuel cut off switch.
I wish! I will check that, but I assumed as it starts and runs that's not the case. Because logically the cut off cuts of the fuel supply?

If anyone lives near basing stoke, reading or Newbury and has a lsm I can try I would be most grateful! :-)
Old 30th April 2016, 13:02   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Your LSM may well be working perfectly Simon. According to MG Rover's manual, the hazard warning switch switches one of the LSM's terminals to earth momentarily and it is latched electronically by the LSM. Try unplugging the hazard switch in case it is presenting the LSM with a continuous earth.

You say that you have removed every fuse in the passenger compartment fusebox, but did you check that they were all intact?

The likelihood is that something happened when you removed or refitted the fuse feeding the fuel pump. By the way, I can't see how that would make any difference to any residual pressure in the fuel lines so I'd leave it alone in future if I were you.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 30th April 2016 at 13:26..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 18:33   #5
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Simon
If you can't find anybody nearer to you, give me a shout and I can have a look with/for you. I have a spare light switch I can for in to your car if needed, and can look at the problem with the diagnostic tools too.
I am down in Fareham, so about an hour from you.
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 19:03   #6
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Simon....

disconnect the battery for 30 mins...
Old 30th April 2016, 19:45   #7
Trans-am

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Your LSM may well be working perfectly Simon. According to MG Rover's manual, the hazard warning switch switches one of the LSM's terminals to earth momentarily and it is latched electronically by the LSM. Try unplugging the hazard switch in case it is presenting the LSM with a continuous earth.

You say that you have removed every fuse in the passenger compartment fusebox, but did you check that they were all intact?

The likelihood is that something happened when you removed or refitted the fuse feeding the fuel pump. By the way, I can't see how that would make any difference to any residual pressure in the fuel lines so I'd leave it alone in future if I were you.

Simon
Yes every fuse intact. So I was following the procedure to change the head gasket, step 2 or 3 is to depressiure the fuel system. I didn't just do it for fun! I was following the book.
Other reply's;
I have also just confirmed the inerta switch. Was not activated, proven by the fact the car runs and the interior lights are not fully on.
Battery has been disconnected for about a week. The lsm when removed stops the flahsing, but obviously it may not be causing it. NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-! :-)
I cut the wires to the lsm from the hazard switch, so it can not be a hazard switch fault.

Hi Chris, how much do you charge? It's the lsm I think i need to swap as a test. I could buy one from a local scrappy I suppose! :-)
Old 30th April 2016, 19:47   #8
Trans-am

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans-am View Post
Yes every fuse intact. So I was following the procedure to change the head gasket, step 2 or 3 is to depressiure the fuel system. I didn't just do it for fun! I was following the book.
Other reply's;
I have also just confirmed the inerta switch. Was not activated, proven by the fact the car runs and the interior lights are not fully on.
Battery has been disconnected for about a week. The lsm when removed stops the flahsing, but obviously it may not be causing it. NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-! :-)
I cut the wires to the lsm from the hazard switch, so it can not be a hazard switch fault.

Hi Chris, how much do you charge? It's the lsm I think i need to swap as a test. I could buy one from a local scrappy I suppose! :-)
Struth! The naughty word was another word for the thing you sit on. Not exactly the c word!
Old 30th April 2016, 21:05   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

lsm?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 21:10   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Sounds like water interfering with the canbus signal.

Highline radio in boot?
Sunroof leaking onto EWS?
ECU had a bath?