Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th October 2014, 13:08   #1
Alan_G
Posted a thing or two

MG3

Default Anyone experienced in getting gas connected?

Hey guys,

Just a quick one to see if anyone knows about getting a new gas supply connected. So far I have Scotia Gas Networks coming out a week on Monday to dig up the path outside and connect Gas to my house.

Then I have a plumber coming a week later to fit some radiators and boiler etc.

I just got the confirmation letter from SGN regarding connection which says I now need to contact a gas supplier to get a meter fitted and it may cost money?

I am so confused, I thought these guys connected me to the gas and put in the meter, the plumber did the rest and I contact a gas supplier to make sure its all legal and I am paying someone?

Its already costing me an eye watering amount for such a small place, didn't realise I had to pay THREE different companies for one result

Anyway is this correct and am I doing it right? I assume I need the meter set up before the plumber comes?

I am awaiting a call back from the power company to discuss things, so just thought I would ask in here while I wait.
Alan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 13:35   #2
bubs
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75

I thought it was much the same as the water companies, you pay for people who run the pipes to put the meter in?
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 13:40   #3
Alan_G
Posted a thing or two

MG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs View Post
I thought it was much the same as the water companies, you pay for people who run the pipes to put the meter in?
That's what I thought. But their letter states "importantly the works do not include the provision and installation of the gas meter. I you have not already done so, please contact your gas supplier to make arrangements for meter installation"

So I paid £730 for "gas installation". The plumber is getting thousands to fit the boiler and radiators and now I have to presumably pay a power company to fit a meter......
Old 10th October 2014, 14:35   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

You have to pay for the supply to the property, this is known as the service. It will terminate in an outside meterbox that contains just the ECV ( Emergency Control Valve)
You will then have to choose a supplier who will then provide your flexible inlet, Filter Governor and gas meter. This will be capped at the outlet of the meter. These are the people you will pay your gas bill to.

Your qualified gas installer can then run the gas feed to your appliances and commission them, new installations must be recorded with the correct body and there is a further nominal charge for this, this is done by the qualified installer.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 10th October 2014 at 14:41..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 14:38   #5
Alan_G
Posted a thing or two

MG3

Thank you! That clears things up a bit.