Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th September 2019, 15:40   #11
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Is your car parked on the level ??

If it's slightly nose down then water from under the rear screen can run forward into the rear seat wells.

You say the front foot wells are dry so the water can only be coming in from the rear somewhere. ( Or sides ,maybe )--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 17:18   #12
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

When you say the carpet is dry, how do you know? Are you feeling the top? Or have you removed some trim and the seat etc. and squeezed the foam backing underneath the carpet? The foam holds gallons!
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 17:54   #13
fastfreddie

Rover 75 saloon

Sunroof drain tubes are fine. As I say everywhere else is completely dry.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 18:47   #14
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

When the sunroof drains are blocked the water will run down into the foot well and it will then travel under or through the foam into the rear where it collects and shows up as wet , making you think it is coming from the rear.
Nearly everyone on the forum has suffered water ingress at some point so there is a wealth of knowledge of how to fix it.
Have you stripped out the glove box and done the fix?
If you are adamant that everything is good then you must have a hole in the floor.

Stan
Old 29th September 2019, 20:04   #15
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Yeah, I have no reason to doubt that the tubes are sealed at the joins, and they pass water nicely. But if they were bad in the past, then there could be an awful lot of water still in the carpet foam. How was the interior dried out originally?

If it gets wet today, I would expect the water to hang around for a long while.
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2019, 10:46   #16
fastfreddie

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks for your input, but when I pour water into the sunroof gutters, it comes out of the drain hole. Also, the car is about 5 degree slope. I have carried out this operation for front and back, and both front and back drains well.
Old 30th September 2019, 11:13   #17
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Thanks for your input, but when I pour water into the sunroof gutters, it comes out of the drain hole. Also, the car is about 5 degree slope. I have carried out this operation for front and back, and both front and back drains well.
As per my previous post.

5 Degree slope you say. If it's nose down then water can easily end up in the rear foot well from a leaking rear screen.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 10:10   #18
fastfreddie

Rover 75 saloon

I am beginning to think you are correct. I have sealed the rooflight with tape,and gradually soaked up the water with newspapers (almost dry now), and considering the rain in the past week, there has not been any extra water ingress. Considering I had the front carpets soaked only a few months ago which was due to the pipes behind the glove box area and was resolved by my Rover garage as I'm getting old now (75) for these cramped spaces.I thank you again, and will be contacting the garage and let them sort it. Very puzzling problem as the car faces downhill (3-5 degrees), so was puzzled as to how the rear got soaked without the front.
Old 8th October 2019, 17:58   #19
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I discovered my rear screen leak by stuffing lots of rolled up newspaper into the nooks and crannies under the rear shelf in the boot. With the complete width stuffed with paper, the first heavy rain produced a soggy patch exactly where it was coming in. As is usual, one of the lower screen clips is leaking. I was at first convinced it was the rear lamp gasket but it wasn't. Water runs down the underside of the bodywork to the lamp area and then drips onto the boot floor then dribbles across to make a pool in the wheel well. On a downhill slope, I guess the water would run forwards and under the rear seat and into the rear footwell.
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote