Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th September 2019, 17:57   #11
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Just a reminder, this diagnosis is purely based on what noise you think you heard and from that description what we think it might be

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 19:11   #12
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Just a reminder, this diagnosis is purely based on what noise you think you heard and from that description what we think it might be
And I believe your diagnosis is spot on. I’ve heard from Erik this evening and the noise has returned so I’ve suggested he look at the problem at home before driving up to my place. I’ve told him what tools are needed and how to tackle the problem. Once up here he’ll be in safe hands as I’ve replaced most things on Rover 75s by now (thanks to the knowledge you old hands have shared) and have new brake shoes, backplates, pads etc.

Keep well Dave
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2019, 15:41   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikwgraver View Post
Coffe for a 10 am arrival on Friday sounds grand. See you then!
Just one thing to mention here.--When all the parts have been fitted and the hand brake works as it should there will always be a slight movement with the car when the hand brake is on.--It is part of the design by Rover so don't worry about it.
It will move slightly and sometimes even make a creaking noise.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2019, 19:52   #14
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Erik was up here today with a cardboard box containing his brake shoes etc which were removed by his local garage (without comment). At first we couldn’t find any reason why it had been making such odd sounds even on the move, the backplate was remarkably good for a 20 year old car, a trial fitting of the pins gave no indication that they were the problem.

Anyway we replaced the whole lot, backplate, shoes, disc, pads & springs. Some nervous moments grinding the handbrake cable free but these jobs are always easier if you’ve done them before.

Later I received a mail from Erik saying he’d got home safely and all the weird noises had disappeared, including some noises he had guessed were not handbrake related (Colvert’s creaking). Got me thinking, out to the garage again to examine the box of old components and found that the old expander hardly moved, seized almost solid - so when the handbrake was released the springs wouldn’t have been enough to retract the expander and Erik drove off with the handbrake on that side still on. Sometimes it freed itself, other times obviously not, hence the noises. Makes sense I think.

Still today’s visit was timely, on Monday the dentist pulled two teeth, so Erik’s present of mouthwash (gin) was well received.

Regards
Old 27th September 2019, 08:41   #15
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Interesting, that was the reason my handbrake still under performed despite having done the compensator modification. Sounds like a reasonable explanation. perhaps in hindsight we should check the heat of each wheel after a run to give clues?

We use whiskey mouthwash more often than we should in our house

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2019, 12:03   #16
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Agree there should have been some heat transfer, but I realise now (with hindsight) there were clues in his description of the noise indicating that the brake shoes were not always retracting but not knowing that his backplates were in such good condition and the danger of loose bits flying around made safety, before the 140km trip here, a priority.

I believe Erik's happy though, lots of new parts including pads & disc which were over their best before, and without having to pay the "professionals" who muck things up more often than not. A member in Gothenburg needed a rear upper arm replacing, got a quote for £130, then (I'm guessing) they used power tools on the captive nut and asked for a £800!

The expander is another small chapter in my (and Erik's) learning experience and perhaps others can benefit too.

Keep well
Old 27th September 2019, 12:06   #17
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Interesting, that was the reason my handbrake still under performed despite having done the compensator modification. Sounds like a reasonable explanation. perhaps in hindsight we should check the heat of each wheel after a run to give clues?

We use whiskey mouthwash more often than we should in our house
Jacking up the rear end and spinning the wheels might give you some idea if any of the shoes are binding.

After a run the heat from the pads might mask any heat generated by the brake shoes.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote