Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th September 2019, 10:56   #1
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Track rods

The uneven, iced roads in Sweden as well as these speed bumps which pop up like dandelions take their toll on the suspension. It’s not at all uncommon to get advisories especially on the track rods - but why can’t I ever get track rods to fit without adjustment? Replaced one today, old one was TRW new one Delphi, holding the inner rod still, moved the locknut just a couple of flats, unscrewed the TRW, on with the new one but will it line up, no. There always seems to be a millemetre or two difference or half a turn - so off to the tracking station, again.

Is the trick to always buy the same manufacturer?

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 15:09   #2
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

The ultimate position relative to the lock nut will depend a lot on the length of the track rod ends relative to the ball joint centre and where the thread starts in the hole.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 16:29   #3
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes, I get that thanks, but for some reason I just about always end half a turn out of the "old" position. If I screw the old track rod back in it's ideal, but if I choose a different manufacturer the end result is invariably different. Perhaps I should always identify the manufacturer first before ordering. Anyone else noticed the same thing?

Your input appreciated.
Old 12th September 2019, 17:59   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Yes, I get that thanks, but for some reason I just about always end half a turn out of the "old" position. If I screw the old track rod back in it's ideal, but if I choose a different manufacturer the end result is invariably different. Perhaps I should always identify the manufacturer first before ordering. Anyone else noticed the same thing?

Your input appreciated.
Most times it will be different. There's no importance during manufacture where they start to cut the thread on the track rod as when fitting it, it is adjustable.

To make each rod identical would simply add to the manufacturing costs.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 19:31   #5
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Most times it will be different. There's no importance during manufacture where they start to cut the thread on the track rod as when fitting it, it is adjustable.

To make each rod identical would simply add to the manufacturing costs.----
Yes I suppose it makes no difference to the manufacturer but to the owner the difference in cutting the thread often means the tracking is out. Years back when toe-in was measured in millimetres I could set the toe-in myself, now it seems to be degrees and each trip to the tracking or alignment centre sets me back £100.

So even if I were to buy the same brand there'd be no guarantee that the start of the thread is cut identically?

Thanks for your input
Old 12th September 2019, 23:01   #6
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

It doesn't really matter where the thread is started as long as it's the same make and/or dimension as the one you're taking off.

Just put it on the same number of turns and if it doesn't line up loosen the clip on the gaiter and then rotate the track control arm so that it lines up so that the trackrod end fits, then put the clip back

The tracking should be almost the same as it was

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2019, 09:06   #7
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Interesting, thanks Russ - that does make sense, will measure the TRW and Delphi one and hope there’s no difference. In the future I think I’ll be more careful to note the brand of the existing track rod when I order new ones.

Regards
Old 13th September 2019, 09:46   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I've always believed that any component change in the steering assembly requires a proper tracking check/adjustment. You may be lucky and end up with things in spec straight away, but don't bank on it.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2019, 10:17   #9
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
I've always believed that any component change in the steering assembly requires a proper tracking check/adjustment. You may be lucky and end up with things in spec straight away, but don't bank on it.

TC
Thanks, I'm not in this particular case as the rods were from different manufacturers and I'll probably end up at the tracking station - but when I next do the track rod(s), which I suspect won't be too distant as I care for three 75s, I'll try to get the same brand and see if they do line without any adjustment.

Regards